Transitions
by Karla ° Friday, January 4, 2008
My brother and his fiancee are getting married in February, and Nate is going to be their ring bearer. If my child is anything like the baby version of me though, chances are, he still won’t be walking by then. I was a gibber jabbering mouth-piece that took her sweet old time learning to walk. Instead, I focused on things like pointing and exercising my vocal cords excessively to ask my mom the same questions, over and over and over.

History, apparently, does repeat itself, because Nate enjoys nothing more than pointing at stuff, and with a brow raising inquisitiveness, exclaiming, “Ah?” Over, and over and over again.


~:~

Nate had his one year well baby check up yesterday. He weighs 17lbs, 12oz. Small, yes, but still plotting along a healthy weight gain curve. He pretty much entirely feeds himself now; sippy cup included, and has developed a deep affection for chicken breast. He can’t shovel the stuff in his mouth fast enough.

Speaking of breasts, I'm still breastfeeding, but just this week we’ve gone from twice to once a day. This has been a bit of an emotional tug-of-war for me. Part of me is sad to see him grow up and move onto other things besides wanting to snuggle in close with me, and part of me wants to hold on to that special time we share just a little while longer, but another part of me is ready to be finished.

I am also extremely proud of what my body has been able to accomplish this past year. Except for a few bottles of expressed breast milk during those early days of sleep deprivation, Nate was exclusively breastfed for his first year of life. Even his cereal was enriched with the goodness of breastmilk.

And now, my little boy has almost fully transitioned to whole milk. This is exactly how I hoped it would be when I started the process of weaning him; a deliberate transition, but slow enough to allow him to easily adjust to the change. As far as I can tell, he hasn’t missed it. For the past couple of months, he's been very clear that there is absolutely no room in his busy daytime play schedule for breastfeeding, and now, at night, we have compensated for not breastfeeding by spending lots of time snuggling in bed under the protective layer of his blankie, and the intrigue of a colourful story.

When we put him to sleep, he is down for the night within minutes. No fuss. No crying. Nothing but sweet dreams and the comfort of a knitted blanket to rub across his nose and a thumb to press against his lips. Honestly, I think it’s been harder on me. It’s hard to let go of something that has been such a huge part of me over this past year. But deep down, I am ready for both personal and health reasons.

And truthfully, a small part of me is looking forward to having my body back.

Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


I remember feeling exactly the same emotional tug every time I was done with breastfeeding - especially the last time when I knew I'd never breastfeed again.

He's growing up SO fast!

By the way, congrats on the Cahoots article! And thanks for being the main character in mine!
 

That picture of Nate...so cute! But it's begging for a loltag...he looks like the World's Youngest CEO or something. Ha!
 

I would love, love, love to know the kind of schedule you used for weaning and transitioning from the breast to milk and other foods. We are starting that process (mostly starting the food at this point and not the milk), as Aiden is now 10 months old, and as extremely sad as it makes me I think a year is a great point to get that transition in full gear. Anyway, any pointers you can send my way would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and of course, as always, that picture of Nate is just adorable. Such a beautiful (I mean MANLY!!) little guy. :-)
Posted by Blogger Brandy :  January 04, 2008
 

Golly, he's handsome!
 

I asked TJ earlier today if they would all stop growing up b/c it's making me sad to lose my babies. He informed me that there is a no-grow-up magical potion, which only works on babies (not him, b/c he's a kid, of course!), and you can get it for just five bucks at the grocery store. Just thought I'd let you know. I'm going out this evening to get some for Cole, and hopefully he won't yet be grown up before I can get it into him!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  January 04, 2008
 

What a handsome little guy!! My oldest weighed 17 pounds at a year old and my youngest weighed 15...both born full term. Check out this post of mine (scroll to the bottom of it)....

http://tinyurl.com/yodnjj

I'd say in another 6 months or so, you might have the same milestone!!
Posted by Blogger Candi :  January 04, 2008
 

Congrats on the great breatfeeding job. I remember weaning was a little emotional for me, but when I was fully done I was ready to move on.

You should be proud of yourself.

I am back to breastfeeding again w/ my second and I hope to make it a year.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 04, 2008
 

Yes, that is the Marathon in onyx. I'm sure you'll still be able to use the Roundabout for a while once he is forward facing. And, by the time he doesn't need it, you might just have a new little one to put in that Roundabout rear-facing!!

My oldest just turned 5 and still is in a reg. carseat with a harness. Once he outgrows the one he is in I'm trying to decide between a Regent or a Britax booster. He is 42 inches and 34 pounds, so he should be able to use the Regent for a while. I just feel safer using the harness versus a booster seat, but I'm just not sure which to get.
Posted by Blogger Candi :  January 04, 2008
 

It almost brought tears to my eyes thinking about the days of nursing Boston. He turned 18 months old today and I nursed him until he was 13 months. (taking a month to wean.) I remember thinking "I can't imagine not nursing him," and now he's such a little man I can't imagine the breastfeeding days. I certainly cherished it so much though and I know it is so much harder on the Mom's than the kids. I'm pregnant again and look forward to that snuggly precious time; although I must admit the freedom of weaning is also to be treasured.
Also Boston didn't walk until he was 15 months. He too has always been a big talker! They do it in their own time and before you know it he'll be running! He's such a cutie; enjoy every minute of him.
 

You've done an amazing job. What a lucky boy!
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  January 04, 2008
 

Nate looks so handsome in the recent photos. Not that he doesn't look handsome all the time...but the little vest and tie...icing on the cake :)
Posted by Blogger Poppy :  January 04, 2008
 

OH my gosh - he is looking sooo grown up. Awesome picture Karla!!!
 

I LOVE that photo of him!

Good for you for going so long. My kids all weaned themselves by nine months, due to my poor milk supply at that stage.

:)
Posted by Blogger Angella :  January 04, 2008
 

It sounds like his growing into toddlerhood couldn't be better. I'm so glad he's making it easy on you. Great picture.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  January 05, 2008
 

He looks like a little professor :)
Posted by Blogger H :  January 05, 2008
 

kudos on breastfeeding so long! not everyone can do, so you should be proud!

he looks so dapper! Zander was 5 months old when my SIL got married, and he wore a black tux. oh. my. God....i wanted to eat him up! there's nothing like a baby boy in a tux, is there?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 06, 2008
 

Thank you for writing this post. It was just what I needed. I have been thinking about dropping down to one b/feed a day but i wasn't sure we (ok me!!) were ready for it. My only problem is that although the Young man drinks from both a glass and a sippy cup he just won't hold them. Also - what made you decide to drop the night time feed as opposed to the morning?

www.annamay.wordpress.com
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 07, 2008
 

Oh, wow.

He is SOOO cute!

Well loved babies have a certain beauty. Nate certainly has it!
Posted by Blogger Judy :  January 07, 2008
 

I did the slow weaning to whole milk around the 1st birthday as well and my daugther was much more ready than I was. At my daugthers daycare I would feel sad when I noted some other Moms still nursing at 18 months, but by 12 months my body was stick thin and in need of a rest. I still feel sad when I think about how simple looking after her needs were then and how complicated it has become...when they are small you think "if only they could tell you what was wrong this motherhood gig would be easy"...but then they turn 3 and suddenly they tell you about things that you can't fix for them...
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 07, 2008
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Friday, January 04, 2008




Recently
Friday, December 28, 2007
Sunday, December 23, 2007
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Sunday, December 16, 2007
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Monday, December 10, 2007
Friday, December 07, 2007
Wednesday, December 05, 2007