On Bikinis and Buttons
by Karla ° Tuesday, March 25, 2008
I am slightly obsessed about our upcoming trip to Vegas. And by slightly obsessed, I mean visiting the website of every hotel on the strip, and then finding menus to all of their restaurants to scope out the tastiest and most romantic fine dining available. I have also mapped out all the Quiznos and where to buy a case of beer to take to our hotel room that can be kept chilled in our bathroom sink from the free ice provided by the hotel. Because we’re classy like that.

Also on my mind is our plan to spend our mornings defogging our cloudy post Vegas night life heads by the pool and the inevitable wearing of a bathing suit that will ensue. I have this little number that I wore on my honeymoon in Jamaica. It's wickedly indecent, and clearly designed to hug and cling to pre-pregnancy, sylphlike curves. Today, it no longer looks so cute after two C-section’s and the pesky resulting WTF roll/bump thing above my scar. I’d love to be able to wear that bikini again though, and have started sharing my breakfast with Nate to cut back on the amount of food I eat in a day. Judging by the amount of bagel that he eats, I should be down ounces by the time we leave in June.

And now I must pretend that I did not hear the sound of myself baking a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies.

La-la-la. Visions of cookies wearing cute bikini dancing in my head. La-la-la.

~ - ~

Just this past week, Nate has taken a sudden interest in speaking. In addition to his two word lexicon of Mum-Mum and Dada, he’s suddenly all about the ai-yai-yai’s. I believe this loosely translates as, dear god woman, brush your hair already.

He can also now say mamoon (balloon), dug (dog) and hat (hat).

The most surprising thing to come out of his mouth though, happened the other night while Mark and I were watching TV. Nate has this annoying penchant for pushing buttons. And I don’t just mean those invisible buttons that kids push to grate on their parent’s last nerve. I mean the kind of buttons found on electronic equipment that have the potential to dial long distance to Tokyo and to turn off the TV at the exact same moment something very important is about to happen on Flip That House.

So, whenever Nate gets push happy, I say, “don’t touch”. This is usually met with a coyly rebellious raising of the eyebrows, which is immediately followed with him touching the button directly next to the one I just told him not to touch. Except the other night, instead of blatant defiance when I told him not to touch the buttons on the TV , he said, clear as day, “don’t touch.”

Mark and I looked at each other in complete awe, because it did not even sound like our kid. The tone of his voice was seriously stern and grown up, and if I didn’t know better, I would have sworn he was momentarily possessed by his mother.

Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I'm going to say it anyway. You don't need to lose weight. My understanding is that the scar area on your tummy will never be perfectly flat again, but unless you're being judged in a swimsuit contest, you're the only one who will notice. You could gain 15 pounds and still look good.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  March 25, 2008
 

I'm positive that you will look great in your bikini, from your photos and videos i have seen , you have nothing to worry about, you look great. Just have a great time!
And the fun begins with Nate... the stuff that they come away with is so funny, and they listen to absolutely everything, i mean everything!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  March 25, 2008
 

I agree with the other comments, go to Vegas and have a fab time and I am sure you will look great (lets put it this way, I wish I had your figure....mine seems to have disappeared and been replaced with some weird body that I am not sure I like!!!! I blame the kids and not the chocolate of course!!!).
I did have a chuckle at what you said about Nate. The little boy that I childmind for copies everything that I say (even if he only hears it once), I stubbed my toe the other day and found myself struggeling for something to say, instead of oh shit!! (didn't think that was appropriate infront of a 2 year old!!!), in the end I just jumped about saying ow ow ow!!, which he found hilariously funny and promptly copied....watch out, nothing you do (or say) will be a secret anymore he he!!!
Hope you are all well and had a great Easter.
Warm wishes, Tabitha X
Posted by Blogger Tabitha :  March 25, 2008
 

I bet you look better than you think in your bikini. We are our own worst critics ya know. I am sure that Nate will take your mind off of any insecurities that you may think you will be feeling at that time. Have a great time in Vegas!
 

You know what, you could probably grow a second and third head, spring chin hair and Mark'd still be all over you. You've got a special kind of beauty that no amount of mileage is going to even begin to touch.
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  March 25, 2008
 

Karla,

You HAVE to go to STACK at the Mirage when you are in Vegas. It is by far the best food I have ever had. For Mark the carnivore.. the appetizer called Hot Rocks is like nothing I have ever experienced. It's these super thin slices of steak that is marinated in the most delectible sauce I have ever tasted. You cook it yourself on these hot rocks and you just want to savor every second. They do have some vegetarian options that I am sure are awesome. I personally had a steak. You could eat every morsel of it and you just never want the experience to end. For dessert I recommend these yummy warm gooey jelly filled mini donuts that come in this darling little box. Can you tell I'm pregnant? I honestly would drive the 360 miles right now to have this experience all over again. Definately worth the money. Also check out the Beatles show LOVE at Cirque De Sole... AMAZING!! Have a great trip!
 

WEAR THE BIKINI!

Also?

The rate at which kids grow up never ceases to amaze me. Sounds like Nate is growing into a little boy!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  March 26, 2008
 

Cole says "Gah!" for dog, but can say "key cat" just fine for kitty cat. Not sure why.

When I had the phone hooked up here, I had long distance disabled for that very reason!

There's no way you won't look good in your bikini...and even if you did, which you won't, I PROMISE there'll be PLENTY of women (and men) who will make you look like a super-model! Even I look good in a bathing suit when we go on vacations!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  March 26, 2008
 

I'm with the rest...the scar area won't be perfectly flat again (unless you opt for surgery), because of the scar tissue. I lost my right ovary to a cyst when I was 18 (10 years ago), and endured a hip-to-hip incision that has been mistaken for a C-section scar before. Even though I stand 5'7" and was about 118 pounds on my wedding day, I still had that "bump". Embrace it - it's a Mommy battle scar! You look fabulous. :)
Posted by Blogger Megan :  March 27, 2008
 

Porgie yells, "NO! THAT'S BAD!" and then I feel like crap, because I must say that to her a lot.
Posted by Blogger Christy :  March 27, 2008
 

The little button-pusher could grow up to be a professional in a tech-related business someday. Won't you be sorry you discouraged him? :)
Posted by Blogger Daisy :  March 27, 2008
 

I only have one thing to say - There is a Fat Burger and McDonalds adjacent to each other on the strip and I think they are open 24 hours! I don't believe I need to elaborate on why this is a good thing...just remember this fact when you are wasted and wandering the strip at 4AM. Your head will thank you the next morning...your ass, not so much :)But who cares! It's Vegas! By the time you are there...losing weight is not the focus, survival of a hangover is!
Posted by Blogger Alison :  March 31, 2008
 

You will look great wearing it. Plus, from the post I just read about you getting back into running, I am sure you look amazing. Enjoy your trip to Vegas.
Posted by Blogger Stephanie :  April 09, 2008
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Tuesday, March 25, 2008




Recently
Monday, March 24, 2008
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Monday, March 17, 2008
Friday, March 14, 2008
Monday, March 10, 2008
Friday, March 07, 2008
Tuesday, March 04, 2008
Sunday, March 02, 2008
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Sunday, February 24, 2008