Rebirth
by Karla ° Friday, April 20, 2007
Last night, for the first time in over a year and a half, I went for a run. I’ve missed running - a lot, but you know how it goes, the weather gets cold, then you have a miscarriage, and then you get pregnant and then you get a fat belly and well, lets just say sitting around watching TV and eating Doritos and gestating a baby while my ass expanded sort of took precedent over exercise.

But yesterday the sun came out and it was warm enough to open the windows in my house and suddenly I had the desire to spend my afternoon on a sunny patio pounding back pints of Stella. But since I have to be a responsible parent now, I opted to instead wait for Mark to get home from work and then strapped on my MP3 player and loaded it with music that had plenty of f-bombs and excessive use of the N word and of course, my favorite song about being high as a motherfucker, you know, all the parentally responsible kind of music, and let the soothing beats take me where they may.

It was fabulous – except for the part about being out of shape and not being able to breathe and then almost throwing up on the sidewalk and constantly checking out my boobs because I forgot to wear breast pads in my sports bra and I was paranoid that all the bouncing up and down would cause a milk explosion and then people would think I had sweaty nipples - but other than that, I think I was reborn as a human - it felt that invigorating and I can’t wait to get back out there and do it all over again.

Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Good for you, Karla. You're motivating me, as I've been running again, too. Only I wouldn't really call it running. It's more of speed that only slightly blows Max's hair while he's in the stroller. And that could only be because I'm running AGAINST the wind. But between that, and barking orders at my two older boys to "STAY TO THE RIGHT!!!", I figure I have to be burning a few calories. And after the feeling returns to my lower extremities, I really feel good about myself. ;)
Posted by Blogger B :  April 20, 2007
 

I too, LOVE this feeling! Is it about time to get baby Nate a jog stroller? Good for you!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  April 20, 2007
 

Awesome!

Now answer me this personal question if you don't mind.. does your ass bounce and does it hurt? Since I've taken up running outside again, I have this issue with my ass. It feels like its going to bounce off of my body and it really doesn't feel too plesant. Not to mention I feel that if I run and a car comes up behind me they are gonig to leave the road because of the assbouncing distraction.

Are you feeling this or should I have my ass examined? lol I haven't ran in a little while so I'm ASSuming my ass is loosing muscle tone (baha!)

Good for you for getting back at it! :)
Posted by Blogger Melanie :  April 20, 2007
 

Good for you, Karla! It's great that you are getting out and doing something just for yourself...us mom's need to be selfish sometimes, if only to stay sane!
Posted by Blogger Cate :  April 20, 2007
 

Your "n-word" comment is extremely offensive. I thought Canadians knew better.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  April 20, 2007
 

Wow. That totally was not meant to offend anyone especially considering that I didn’t write the tune.

Perhaps a letter to 50 cent is in order to tell him he is a bad bad man and he shouldn’t swear.

I think there is a big difference between listening to rap music with a cuss word like that and actually using it.
Posted by Blogger karla :  April 20, 2007
 

I admire your bravado in jogging without 3 layers of breast pads in your bra - I would be spraying like a firehose!
Posted by Blogger delphi :  April 20, 2007
 

I don't think you could have a fat belly if you tried!

But good for you for working out!
Posted by Blogger Gina :  April 20, 2007
 

Congrats! I completely understand that feeling and it is especially great once the nausea subsides afterwards and you feel amazing! I'm jealous that the sun came out for you, here in Oregon it's still rather nasty. Anyway keep up the running and feel free to pass on any good running tunes that inspire you.
Posted by Blogger Lindz :  April 20, 2007
 

Something you will come to know as law: doing things for yourself is in fact doing things for Nate and for your marriage. Maintaining a sense of self, good health and fun is integral to being a good wife and mom. So, I say, way to do it for your fam!
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  April 20, 2007
 

Good for you Karla. Getting out there and running can be tough when you're not feeling in shape. The first few runs are the hardest but it gets easier. I can't speak to the boob thing though which does sound quite intriguing.
Posted by Blogger egan :  April 20, 2007
 

I bow down to you. :)

Many many times I get the urge to run, my body craves it, I want to! So I run about 2 blocks, my lungs are ready to burst, my thighs feel like jello and I think "WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING!???"

and I come home...

:)

*rolling my eyes at anonymous. Gee Karla... you should know that you can only LISTEN TO THOSE SONGS if you have dark skin. THEN it's not offensive. ;p
Posted by Blogger Me :  April 20, 2007
 

You rock! Mybe this will inspire me to get off my lazy arse this weekend.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  April 20, 2007
 

Running is my therapy...Good for you and happy trails.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  April 20, 2007
 

You're just reminding me even more that I need exercise more than ever. Igh!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  April 21, 2007
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Friday, April 20, 2007




Recently
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Monday, April 16, 2007
Saturday, April 14, 2007
Friday, April 13, 2007
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Friday, April 06, 2007
Wednesday, April 04, 2007
Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Monday, April 02, 2007