Five years
by Karla ° Friday, September 19, 2008
Tomorrow is Mark and my five-year anniversary. It’s the day I married my best friend. The man who I’ve known for more than half of my entire existence on this planet. And you know? After two years of inseparable friendship, seven years of dating, and five years of marriage, I can say without a doubt that we're both totally different people than those awkward 15 and 17-year-olds crossing the alcohol-enabled boundary line to kiss their best friend. But I also know, without a doubt, that friendship has been the glue that has kept us connected all these years.

Mark is my rock. My perpetually hot man rock that lets me warm my frozen toes against his legs every night and wrap my fingers through his burly man hands while drifting off to sleep. And this is how I know he’s a keeper; because even when I tell him that my vagina is too tired for sex. Again. I know. I’m so sorry honey. I can’t control these things, but here, let’s hold hands! He respects that. At least, until, you know, the next night. He’s patient. And clever. Because he totally knows that my vagina can’t possibly be tired forever.

We aren’t doing anything extravagant for our anniversary, unless you count sending our kid to visit his Grandparents for the weekend extravagant. We’ll probably stay in and cook an honest to goodness grown-up meal that isn’t made of pizza, peanut butter or French fries; practically the only food items that exist on planet earth that my kid will eat.

Incidentally, when Nate was in the hospital a few days ago the Pediatrician noted how skinny he is. And really, he is. The kid has no meat on his bones. But then again, I’m sporting clavicles so pronounced that gymnasts could balance on them, so his small frame comes as no surprise. But just to be sure, as part of the routine blood tests, various nutritional tests were also done, and LO! He may only weigh 22 lbs at 20 months, but somehow, somewhere, buried in the depth of my homemade wheat germ-infused whole wheat pizza crust; he’s getting all the nutrition he needs.

So, our kid is miles and miles away, and Mark and I have an entire house, sans toddler, to ourselves for the entire weekend. Mark’s still at work, and so far today, after dropping Nate off, I’ve vacuumed and shampooed the carpets, scrubbed two bathrooms from top to bottom, called my mom to talk to Nate, only to find out he was too busy having fun to care, cleaned dog snot and sticky peanut butter coated fingers prints from every glass surface in the house and washed and folded three loads of laundry.

And I know if Mark is reading this, his heart is sinking to unfathomable depths because the last time I cleaned this much it sent my vagina into a coma.

Don’t worry baby, I promise I'm still in tip top shape to perform the number one thing we wanted to do this weekend.

Sleep.

And because it’s a special weekend, seeing that it’s our anniversary and all, I promise to spoon with you instead of the dog. Just don't forget to bring home the vino, mmmkay?

Labels: , ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Oh I loved this post. What a wonderful couple you seem to be and with such a beautiful son. That picture is fantastic, by the way.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  September 19, 2008
 

Vino? Umm, was it just me, or did you not hint you were pregnant in you last post?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  September 19, 2008
 

Ha. Our kids have the same diet.
I also love the wheat germ. I sneak it into everything and anything I can - even his faithful PB&J sandwiches.

Happy Anniversary!!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  September 19, 2008
 

Happy 5th anniversary, Karla and Mark! Here's to at least 5 times 5 more together.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  September 19, 2008
 

Happy Anniversary to you both!
Hope you have a great time!!
love and hugs XXXXX
Posted by Blogger Tabitha :  September 19, 2008
 

Happy Anniversary!

Enjoy your sleep!
 

I LOVE THIS. Love it.
 

Love it! Funny that when my parents suggested a romantic weekend away, I suggested they take the child and we could actually get something done around the house (for once!). Ah, marriage with kids!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  September 19, 2008
 

bahahaha i laughed so hard when I read the last part of ur post HAHA
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  September 19, 2008
 

Happy Anniversary!

I loved this post too. Sleep would be our number one priority too, if we had a weekend sans toddler! And that picture is hilarious by the way.
Posted by Blogger Joyce :  September 20, 2008
 

You crazy girl you! Happy Anniversary!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  September 20, 2008
 

We sent our boys away for the weekend too! First time since Asher has been born, it took way too long, lol. Happy Anniversary! September 20, 2003 was a GOOD day ;)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  September 20, 2008
 

Happy Anniversary Karla and Mark. Hope you enjoyed your weekend alone.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  September 21, 2008
 

I hope you both had a great time ~ whatever you decided to do!
l,
Amanda x
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  September 22, 2008
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Friday, September 19, 2008




Recently
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Monday, September 15, 2008
Friday, September 12, 2008
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Sunday, September 07, 2008
Thursday, September 04, 2008
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Monday, August 25, 2008
Friday, August 22, 2008
Monday, August 18, 2008