Becoming His Own Person
by Karla ° Friday, August 10, 2007
Nate’s personality is not only starting to flourish, it is downright steamrolling ahead with the force of an avalanche these days. Trailing on the coattails of his developing identity is a temperament that erupts with the force of a volcano.

And somewhere, all wrapped up in the mighty roar of this burgeoning display of individuality and sense of self, are glimpses of characteristics that seem to stem directly from either me or his father.

I used to suck my thumb when I was a little girl. Nate also likes to suck his thumb. He willingly gave up his pacifier very early in preference of his little nubby appendage and although there is nothing special about slobbering all over your fingers, what is very special to me is that he sucks his thumb exactly the same way I used to – by surrounding himself in the warmth of a cozy blanket and gently rubbing and caressing the tiny crevasse beneath his nose to the quiet rhythm of his suckling.

What really gets my heart fluttering is when he snuggles in close to me when I nurse him and he weaves his tiny hand underneath my shirt and then pulls it against his face to gently massage the fabric against his nose.

The fact that Nate soothes and comforts himself the same way I used to makes me feel sort of wobbly and sentimental. Like, my kid likes the same things I used to.

And if that is any indicator of things to come, it is probably in my best interest to make sure that this house is well stocked with noodles and ketchup and diagonally cut toast with no crust or else the wrath of Mount Nathan may erupt and make his wishes known in the form of a tantrum.

Nate also loves all things musical, which absolutely must come from his father because to hear me sing would make you want to stuff giant pickles in your ears in hopes that one of the physical properties of sodium is an ability to dehydrate sound waves.


I am so grateful that I have a front row seat in this extraordinary ride of life that Nate is on.

Each and every corner turned reveals new potential and endless possibilities and it’s absolutely amazing to watch it all unfold through the eyes of a child.

Labels: , ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


I never sucked my thumb, but I still love watching Lucas suck his....something about it just makes my heart melt. He stopped using a pacifier at only a few weeks old in exchange for his thumb.

Nate is such a cutie!!
Posted by Blogger Candi :  August 10, 2007
 

It is crazy sometimes when you look at your child and go "Yup, that is totally your dad!"

Of course, those are all the not-so-good things. All the good things are from you. At least, that's how it is over here. ;)
Posted by Blogger Gina :  August 10, 2007
 

That's a sweet piano. Looks like he's having a ball with the music. Maybe he and Mark can start a band ;)
Posted by Blogger H :  August 10, 2007
 

Thank you so much Karla for sharing all these sweet video's of Nate. He is such a joy to watch, and he makes my heart smile!! Hugs from me to you.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  August 10, 2007
 

Karla...that little fella of yours is just plain adorable! I love the photo of him with his piano :)

It is so neat though when you can look at your child and know without a doubt he/she got "that" from you.
Posted by Blogger Poppy :  August 10, 2007
 

Watching a child enjoy music is the best.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  August 10, 2007
 

I sucked my thumb the exact same way! I had a blanket, which my mom kept, and she showed me the corners where I had worn them out from holding it to my face and slobbering all over it!

TJ sucks his thumb, too, but not the same way. Oh well...

Don't you just love when they show these little glimpses of what's to come?!

Cole doesn't care to play music, but man does he dance to it! We play songs that have a beat, and the little fella can't stop his body from moving to it! He'll look at me like, "Mom, what do I do? My body just keeps wiggling and bouncing to this music!"
Posted by Blogger Christi :  August 11, 2007
 

Karla, I've been reading your blog for a while and love it!

It's been so fun to watch Nate grow, and since my little boy is only 2 1/2 months, I get to see what I'm in for later on! :)
Posted by Blogger Kelly :  August 11, 2007
 

That is a cute video!! Nate is such an adorable baby!! My son is 2 and I dont think I ever get tired of watching him discover something new. I think its the greatest thing!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  August 11, 2007
 

Porgie has that exact same piano. She LOVES it.

I think its sweet that nate is like his mommy. Whenever Porgie is in a fussy mood, John says that she has my personality.
Posted by Blogger Christy :  August 12, 2007
 

That tune is oh so familiar, as Avelyn pounds on the same piano for hours each day. What a sweet li'l Mozart Nate is. He's growing up so fast!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  August 12, 2007
 

Oh those flapping little hands. Promise you'll post some thumb sucking?
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  August 12, 2007
 

I always secretly hoped that Cole would suck his thumb. while he doesn't suck his thumb he sucks his two fingers -exactly like his Grandfather. Nate looks like a little virtuoso (sp?) in that photo and video - isn't cute how they can concentrate on something now.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  August 14, 2007
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Friday, August 10, 2007




Recently
Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Monday, August 06, 2007
Saturday, August 04, 2007
Friday, August 03, 2007
Thursday, August 02, 2007
Wednesday, August 01, 2007
Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Monday, July 30, 2007