Math
by Karla ° Saturday, February 17, 2007
It’s kind of amazing when you consider that both Mark and I chose career paths that involved knowledge of math when neither of us is particularly good at it.

In high school, while Mark bumbled around in OAC Calculus and Finite math, I could be found hiding out in the forest behind the school pounding back tequila shots and smoking king sized cigarettes. Even though he didn’t do so well at math, he thought the concepts were fascinating, and even though tequila made me puke, the buzz made me feel special.

We did enjoy our advanced physics class together though. Our teacher liked to challenge our minds by making sound effects that would entertain those with the brain capacity of a toddler while demonstrating the effects of gravity by letting objects of various sizes and weights fall down slopes of various angles.


Weeeeee indeed dude!

Even to this day I can’t do my taxes without the help of online software. My creative mathematical abilities are limited to how many fingers and toes are attached to my body, so if Nate is ever as witty as the kids who answered the math questions below, I swear I will double his allowance and crack open beers to celebrate because it takes a special kind of smarts to come up with these:









Other reasons to celebrate include finally fitting into my size 26 pants with minimal muffin top and a kidlet who did swimmingly swell at his two month well baby checkup. He now weighs 10lbs 2oz and is 23 inches tall. According the numbers he is a very tall and thin little munchkin plotting on the 75th percentile for height, and 25th percentile for weight. Neither Mark nor I are tall people, so maybe he will be tall like my brother, whose towering height is a running joke in the family as being a direct result of genes from the mailman.

Labels: , ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


The "find x" example... I think I actually used that one back in Geometry class. Only I wrote "It's right here!" with a cute little arrow.

Should I mention that 2nd semester I quit "Geometry" and took "Clothing" instead?
Posted by Blogger Me :  February 17, 2007
 

I took extreme humor in this as I was listening to my online math class when I read this entry! LOL
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 17, 2007
 

LOL I love it!
Posted by Blogger Robyn :  February 17, 2007
 

I guess Canadian pants are sized differently than ours. That or you are actually about 10 sizes bigger than me, but that doesn't seem right.

I loved the math problems. I copied them and emailed them to a few people.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  February 17, 2007
 

Our 9 month old daughter has almond shaped eyes. One of my husband's college buddies responded to her birth announcement with the following instant message:
Ah, Sean> Is your mailman asian? Genetics are a funny thing. A size 26...I remember wishing as I bought a pair of size 28 Guess jeans in 7th grade that I wished I were a 26.
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  February 17, 2007
 

I HATE math and all things math related! I would have done all of the things up there if confronted with those questions.

And BTW, Nate is just the cutest!
Posted by Blogger Gina :  February 17, 2007
 

Ok I did love Math but after looking at that, I understand why.
Posted by Blogger Tammy :  February 18, 2007
 

WAIT!!!! LETS CONCENTRATE ON THE IMPORTANT THING HERE....My fellow Internet commenter's we all owe Karla a giant I TOLD YOU SO!!! On the fact that little Nate is doing great and he is perfectly normal and that is coming right from the Doctors mouth. See Kalra, he is doing great, weighing in well and is even going to be tall. You are doing great. Now take a sigh of relief and realize you have a healthy wonderfully normal little munchkin on your hands. By the way my little monkey is only in the third percentile for weight. Always, for a year, third%, the little shit won't gain weight. AND really size 26...I need to leave no so I can run out and buy some diet pills. Size 26, ha, in my left thigh
 

Okay Julia. Her pant sizes refer to true waist size. Lucky jeans and guess jeans do that here. Lucky actually lists both sizes on the tag now, like 0/26, 2/28 and so on.
 

I'm SO happy that Nate is SO healthy!

I hate math. It is a religion in which I do not believe.

Judy - Anybody Home
www.judyh58.blogspot.com
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 18, 2007
 

Julia, I thought that too about the pant size, but then I realized that she was talking in the actual waste size, like they do for men. Sooooo....she's actually wearing pants about 10 sizes SMALLER than you! 26's are TINY! I think I wore them when I was three...

I was having such a good time picturing you slinging back shots behind the school bldg! Ahhhh....Did you say you had a black shot glass, or was that just something that I added?

I wish that my students had come up w/answers like that when I was teaching. It would have made my days so much more entertaining, and I probably would've given them credit for doing ANYTHING (which, half the time, my students didn't do at all!)!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  February 19, 2007
 

26=0? EWWWWWWW!!!!! Karla, you make me sick!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  February 19, 2007
 

size 0?
Not me. Technically, doesn’t a zero imply you don’t exist? Like you’re so skinny you’re invisible?


I’m more like a 4/6.

I think different companies size their clothes differently.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 19, 2007
 

The math questions were hilarious. The answers were funny too,ha,ha..
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 19, 2007
 

I agree with Gina. I HATE math. I've never been good at it and I have to use a calculator for everything!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 20, 2007
 

Just remember, there are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don’t.
Posted by Blogger methatiam :  February 20, 2007
 

Wow, we would have been great friends in high school - no math skills and drinking tequila and smoking cigarettes. That read like my life story. Ahhh, the good ol' days....
Posted by Blogger Kate :  February 20, 2007
 

I love those math problems! The elephant was my favorite. :) They totally sound like the creative, bizarre answers I would come up with. :)

I'm glad Nate is doing well! And congrats on being the tiny thing I always thought you were. :)

Your entries always inspire me. Today, it was a total laughfest over here. :) Have a blessed day!
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  February 20, 2007
 

Karla, we must have had the same math teacher...I distinctly remember hearing "Weeeeeee" at some point in time during one of his classes. I can't recall his name, but I remember him being one of the younger teachers and quite entertaining!! I'm glad Nate's doing so well (and you are too). He's a cutie :)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 22, 2007
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Saturday, February 17, 2007




Recently
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
Sunday, February 11, 2007
Thursday, February 08, 2007
Tuesday, February 06, 2007
Monday, February 05, 2007
Thursday, February 01, 2007
Sunday, January 28, 2007
Friday, January 26, 2007
Thursday, January 25, 2007