Colour Blindness
by Karla ° Thursday, July 26, 2007
Mark is for real colour blind. Red-green colour blind actually. Which basically means that he couldn’t tell you the difference between a green and a red traffic light. I guess it’s a good thing that he can count to three and remember what number means STOP!

Even though he claims he is only red-green colour blind, that doesn’t explain why he failed colouring class in kindergarten for insisting the sky was purple. And even though colour blindess is usually genetic in nature, it can also be caused from brain damage, which might explain why he failed scissors class as well.

He has totally redeemed himself though. That man now makes the best damn paper snowflakes ever.

When I met Mark, all of his clothes we black. But really, one can only handle so much black in their life (me), so now instead of having a depressingly drab wardrobe, we have come up with a creative system for naming and identifying his clothes.

First and foremost, all of his dress pants must mix and match with every single dress shirt that he owns because there might be a morning that I am not awake to tell him that he shouldn’t leave the house looking like a colourful clown.

And secondly, because it was my bright idea that he should add a little colour in his life, it also became my responsibility to know that when he asks for his tough guy shirt, it means he is looking for an army green t-shirt. Which is entirely different than his cool guy shirt, which is blue. But he thinks it’s gray.

I do use his reliance on my colour judgement to my advantage however, because he looks really good in shades of blue, especially powder blue, which he would be mortified to wear. So I just tell him that it’s a manly shade of light gray.

Anyhow, he was looking for the BBQ lighter the other day and I told him to look in the blue box. He looked at me like I had just asked him what the square root of pi was because he didn't know we had a blue box. And I could see him trying to rack his brain to remember if he was supposed to be organizing different stuff in a different box because the only box he knew about was light gray.

And then it occurred to me that the box is exactly the same colour as his pretty powder blue shirt and that maybe part of his colour blindness is all my fault.

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Uh oh, you've been busted! When we had to colour things in elementary school, some other kids and me used to tell Mark what colours to use, to help out. I think we mostly told him the right ones.
Posted by Blogger H :  July 26, 2007
 

Oh see, H. I bet you were the one who kept telling him to colour the Virgin Mary's dress purple. He told me that he used to get in trouble for that too!
Posted by Blogger karla :  July 26, 2007
 

this is absolutely hilarious! Rob and I always argue over blue and green. he thought i drove a blue car for almost a year before i finally read him the manufactures description of my car jade GREEN. he still argued it though
 

That box IS gray. It's the rest of the world that's wrong.
Posted by Blogger Mark :  July 26, 2007
 

So, I'm assuming he doesn't read your blog?

Or perhaps he's also illiterate? :)

Powder blue can SO be a sexy color.

It can.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.
Posted by Blogger Ms. Skywalker :  July 26, 2007
 

Ha! That made me laugh!

Hubba-hubba, however, has absolutely no excuse for not being able to match his own clothes!
Posted by Blogger Gina :  July 26, 2007
 

Dave is color blind too!! I always have to laugh when he says oh look at that red paper and I'm like...uh that's pink. Or he thought my sisters boat was white, gray and some color of pink...mind you it was teal! I have to help him find colors when we go to the store and they are all sitting next to each other...that's when it's the hardest.
Posted by Blogger angie :  July 26, 2007
 

I had a friend who was color blind (I mean, he still is, I just don't really talk to him anymore!). He does decorating and picture framing for a living. I never quite got that.
Posted by Blogger Christi :  July 26, 2007
 

My father and my son are both color blind. As a child my father would bring two pairs of socks to me and ask,"which ones are brown" every morning. One time he wore a black shoe and a brown shoe to work. My son, on the other hand, can only recognize yellow with any certainty. We had a cranberry minivan (like the rest of North America) and he would always drift to the green ones in the parking lot.
Posted by Blogger Laura :  July 26, 2007
 

My husband is color blind, too, and I have to help him with his work clothes every day. He insists our bathroom is grey - it's really pink!
Posted by Blogger Jilt :  July 26, 2007
 

You are hilarious. Poor Mark.
Posted by Blogger Christy :  July 26, 2007
 

Another with a color blind husband. I used to threaten to make him Garanimal tags for his clothes! Garanimals was a name brand years ago and every item had a tag that matched with things that coordinated.All Lion tags matched any other Lion tag. All Monkey tags would work together. So on and so forth.

Now to insure that my hubby does not leave the house looking like a clown I put his clothes together the night before and hang them in the bathroom. Shirts, pants and ties. Oh and socks. He does have a system for putting his socks away though. He has 4 drawers in his nightstand. So one is blue socks, another black, grey, brown/tan. I guess that is progress :)
Posted by Blogger Poppy :  July 26, 2007
 

Sometimes you blow me away, making me laugh and squeal with delight in a way that had previously been reserved for my sister.

Karla, you really are wonderful.
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  July 26, 2007
 

I swear, everytime I see a pic of your baby, I just want to steal him! He is SOOOOO cute! I honestly never think a kid is as cute as mine are, but I think Nate is. I just want him to be mine, and feel like he must be, b/c only my children are that damn cute!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  July 26, 2007
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Thursday, July 26, 2007




Recently
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Monday, July 23, 2007
Friday, July 20, 2007
Thursday, July 19, 2007
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Sunday, July 15, 2007
Thursday, July 12, 2007
Wednesday, July 11, 2007