Party Preparations and First Steps
by Karla ° Friday, November 23, 2007
Dear god, my fridge is pulsing; it is so full of food and drink. And somehow, by tomorrow, all of these random things need to turn themselves into hors d’oeuvres that are actually edible and appetizing.

I did consider baking a cake, but after about three seconds of very serious contemplation, I realized that, WHO, EXACTLY, AM I KIDDING? There is a perfectly adequate Dairy Queen around the corner that sells perfectly adequate ice cream cake. We all have our weaknesses, and I am strong enough to recognize that mine is ice cream.

I am also up to my eyeballs in Windex and Mr. Clean trying to make my house sparkle. This, I know, is something that has been passed down from my mother over the years in a sepia tinged neurosis for an immaculately pristine home.

Stuffing this many people in the compact quarters of my living room will be interesting because after you factor in all of the room necessary to satisfy my need for personal space, and all of the room that Samson’s great big giant dog torso needs to chase his tail in concentric circles, this leaves my guests all of about seven square feet of floor space to mingle amongst themselves. I’m thinking a tight-knit huddle around the punch bowl should suffice.

I am also thinking that my little baby is not much of a baby anymore. They may be small steps today, but tomorrow, the unsteady pitter patter of his two small feet will be replaced with confident strides into a life of his very own.

This makes me feel sort of sad and extremely proud all at the same time.


Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


oh Karla what a beautiful boy you have! I can not believe he is already going to be 1 and that he is walking.

I love his laugh!
 

When Pippa heard Nate's laugh, she came running into the room to see who it was. Now we've watched the vid twice and she still wants more. Yay for Nate, practicing walking!
Posted by Blogger Mama T :  November 23, 2007
 

and now life goes into warp speed

this was my comment verification...to complicated for my hormonal state
uxvjkbdp
 

My how time flies! I can't believe he's turning one already!
 

Every time I see a video of Nate, I can't help but think about how utterly adorable he is and what a great laugh he has!
Posted by Blogger KDotLee :  November 23, 2007
 

Hooray For Nate!! The gloves are off... lock down the house! haha.. When Abby started walking hubby and I got down on our knees and anything we saw at that eye level we baby-proofed. Gads.. and it was a lot of stuff..

Have fun!

:-))))))))))))))))))))
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 23, 2007
 

TJ, Taryn and I watched your video over and over again. We all cheered little Nate on every time! We could have done this all night (mixed w/watching videos of him saying 'MaMa', of course), but I had to call it quits at some point! Cole, though, watched for a second then ran over and kicked a ball...as if to say, "Hey, Mom, look what I can do!"
I'm so excited for you!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  November 23, 2007
 

Nate and I share the same birthday so I know exactly how he'll feel..what you are doing is fabulous.. :) Happy early first birthday Nate :)

tq
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 23, 2007
 

Karla, this book, about another Ava who died young, made me think of you:
http://www.lulu.com/content/1389528
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 23, 2007
 

I feel like some crone auntie, but I just cannot believe that he is already one!
Posted by Blogger Gina :  November 24, 2007
 

Oh, the "aw shucks" look at the end rocked me.
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  November 24, 2007
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Friday, November 23, 2007




Recently
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Monday, November 19, 2007
Thursday, November 15, 2007
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Friday, November 09, 2007
Wednesday, November 07, 2007
Tuesday, November 06, 2007
Thursday, November 01, 2007
Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Monday, October 29, 2007