Graffiti
by Karla ° Wednesday, April 4, 2007
I have known for a long time that I wanted to move out of this house. We moved here when I was pregnant with Ava and when she died, so did all of the hopes I dreams I once had for this place.

We’ve been puttering around for a few months now trying to get our home in tip top shape to sell, but the momentum has kind of worn off and I guess we’ve just been waiting for something to spark a fire under our ass to get things moving.

And then it happened. The other day I went to the corner store to buy milk and there, right beside the slushy sign, was a giant penis spray painted on the wall. And since nothing sparks a fire under your ass like a giant penis, I went home and called my real estate agent.

I have to admit, I found our first outing very disappointing and I’m not exactly sure why. There wasn’t anything wrong with the homes we looked at. They were bigger and newer and not covered in Samson fur, but I couldn’t picture myself living in any of them.

Maybe I am more attached to this house than I have let myself believe.

Or maybe I just like the new neighbourhood artwork. Really, who doesn't love a little penis and milk every now and then?


Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


It's a prickly situation.
Posted by Blogger Anvilcloud :  April 04, 2007
 

Oh, Anvilcloud!

I'm quite sure you're more attached to the house than you realize. We were so ready to get out of our last house we owned, as it had already drained us financially and mentally. However, the day we went to close on it, it was such a sad time, and I hated to leave it.
Posted by Blogger Christi :  April 04, 2007
 

Richard would be glad for me to request more of that, hold the milk please.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  April 05, 2007
 

I hope I don't say something wrong here, but I will say what I feel. You said you see the house as the place where your dreams died. Somehow I always felt sad you were moving, because I see it as the house where Ava lived. The doors she heard opening and closing, and the "Hi I'm homes", and Sampson barking. I can't imagine someone else living in it. But then I'm a sentimental old biddy too. Wherever you go, the best of Ava will go with you.
 

... or maybe you just didn't see the right one yesterday.


:)
Posted by Blogger Me :  April 05, 2007
 

A friend of mine worked in a store in SF many years ago. One day the owner came in and found the words “F**K YOU” (NOT using stars, mind) spray painted in ½ inch wide letters on the side of the building. He hired an “undocumented guest worker” who spoke very little English and gave this man a can of white paint and told him to “paint over those letters”

Within an hour, the job was done and in 4 inch WHITE paint brush strokes, he had faithfully and carefully painted over each and every letter, one by one, line by line. It was now visible from a far greater distance.

In cases like the one you’ve seen I usually just figure it for the artist’s self-portrait.
Posted by Blogger methatiam :  April 05, 2007
 

We are in the process of deciding whether to take on a substantial remodel or just move. Most days will find me leaning towards just moving, but when I really think about it, this house holds so many memories, both good and bad, it will be very hard to part with. Although it is very true that the memories will follow us.

Good luck with your decision. And be patient with house hunting, we looked over 50 houses before we found this one.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  April 05, 2007
 

We have recently decided to move to the other end of Ottawa to be closer to family. I've hated this house for a while. Once we were here for a few months, all kinds of problems started creepy up!

But now, when I think of moving I get a little weepy. I still don't like the house...but this is where we had our boys. This is where Zander started to walk. This is where....the list goes on and on.

It seems Nate has had the same effect on you as my boys have had on me.

Cate
Posted by Blogger Cate :  April 05, 2007
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Wednesday, April 04, 2007




Recently
Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Monday, April 02, 2007
Saturday, March 31, 2007
Friday, March 30, 2007
Thursday, March 29, 2007
Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Monday, March 26, 2007
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Tuesday, March 20, 2007