Branching Out
by Karla ° Monday, July 30, 2007

Nate’s personality is really starting to take on a life of its own. Which, you know, makes sense because he is a person. It’s just that I still dress him in footsie pyjamas and sing silly songs to him and the fact that he is starting to show an interest in growing up and doing the stuff that babies do makes me feel all nostalgic for those days where he just sort of sat there. And did nothing. Because my job as a mother was much less complicated when all I had to do was make faces and offer him my boobs every now and then to keep him happy.

His new thing these days is exploring. Apparently, my face is no longer that interesting. I guess the entertainment he found in shoving his fingers up my nose has run its course. I think it’s great that he's starting to show an interest in stuff besides me and my breasts because my little dude needs to branch out eventually and discover stuff like Samson's kibble dish, but for the love of not having to pay attention, this whole exploring and testing his boundaries thing is trying because everything he touches goes into his mouth.

And there are just something things that he should not eat.

Like diapers.

Or my nipples.

And then if I take what he wants away, or yelp in pain, depending on whether or not he has chomped on a sensitive body part, the baby drama ensues and he interjects with exaggerated screeches of baby frustration.

Exhibit A:



Sweet Bethlehem of mercy, I have no idea what to do. It’s not like I can reason with him. But he needs to start learning what he can and cannot shove in his mouth/yoink/pull/chomp on because there might come a day that I will want to wear my hair down again and last time I checked, having my nipples chomped on was not on my list of things to experience before I die.

Also, totally unrelated, but don’t you just love chubby baby legs?

Exhibit B:
Nate's Chubby Baby Legs


Labels: , , ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Chubby baby legs are the best! I have always lived for pictures of babies from the back. Little diapers and pudgy legs make for the sweetest of shots.
Posted by Blogger Laura :  July 30, 2007
 

Hi, I just discovered your blog recently. I love chubby baby legs too! My 2 1/2 year-old still has them but I know not for too much longer. Sigh. (Great picture, btw) And the exploring never ends, but he is better about putting stuff in his mouth now.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  July 30, 2007
 

My mantra of discipline for the first two or so years was "Redirect!" Sooner or later, they get it. I promise.

Chubby baby legs are the best indeed!
Posted by Blogger Gina :  July 30, 2007
 

See that? He's cruising. Yep, only a matter of time before he's running alongside Cole.

I'm so happy to see that your little one cries, too. I was beginning to think that he was just too, too perfect! Well, I mean, of course, he is, but...well, you know what I mean!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  July 30, 2007
 

It looks like he has a certain amount of determination.
Posted by Blogger Anvilcloud :  July 30, 2007
 

you my friend have your hands full!

I love his chubby baby legs!
 

Yah, I guess he's not ready for grown-up logic yet. But he sure is cute and funny, even when he's testing his mommy!
Posted by Blogger H :  July 30, 2007
 

Oh man, I want to slather some butter on those rolls and chomp away! He's just too darling. My daughter never got any rolls- she had skinny legs and the second she started getting any baby chub on her thighs, she started walking and wham, all gone. So I think you really need to share Nate's with us some more ;)
Posted by Blogger debangel :  July 30, 2007
 

oh the legs...but LOOK AT THAT HEAD! ohh..I want to kiss that head!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  July 30, 2007
 

Ah...the crying. I agree. Just keep doing what you are doing and he will catch on. My 17 month old is learning what "no" means and he doesn't like to hear it. If he is crying and carrying on and you say "no", he will ball his little fists up and hit what ever is in his reach and cry louder!!

Yep....love the chub! I posted a pic of my son recently (crawling into the entertainment center) that showed off the chubby legs. Funny how they can be "small" but still have that baby chub!!
Posted by Blogger Candi :  July 30, 2007
 

It only gets worse. Porgie has started having temper tantrums over stupid shit. Very frustrating. I tend to be very emotionless when she starts acting like a fool. That usually helps dry up the tears.

The chubby legs are adorable. Don't you wish chubby legs were that cute on adults?
Posted by Blogger Christy :  July 30, 2007
 

omg that was the saddest face ever. but oooh how cute he is even sad!
 

Well, the nipple chomping..I guess that has a lot to do with who is doing the chomping - ha ha.

I loved the video. Little baby sounds. Love it!!!

And the chubby baby legs...to die for!
 

Chubby baby legs rock my world!!
Posted by Blogger Brandy :  July 31, 2007
 

I can realte to the hair pulling!! it seems like a big game to them. Its amazing how strong they are.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  July 31, 2007
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Monday, July 30, 2007




Recently
Friday, July 27, 2007
Thursday, July 26, 2007
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Monday, July 23, 2007
Friday, July 20, 2007
Thursday, July 19, 2007
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Sunday, July 15, 2007