Unhip and unchic in Las Vegas
by Karla ° Monday, June 2, 2008
While lunching with my girlfriend, Ang, and her cooing baby the other day, the topic of what I planned to wear while vacationing in Vegas came up. And then it hit me. By this time next week I will be lounging by a pristine azure pool on a sun-warmed chaise in the artificially enhanced city of sensuality and sin and my closet is lined with nothing but yoga-inspired clothes and lacklustre cotton.

After never returning to the corporate urban hollows following Ava's death, and then experiencing the dramatic shift of bodily proportions after carrying two full-term babies, I donated all of my dressier business clothes to charity. And of the few trendy pairs of pants that I kept, all but one pair still fit my post-pregnancy body which, oddly, is droopier and thinner than it has ever been.

Ang, a well seasoned traveller, helped me inspect my closet for items potentially suitable for exploring a sun-drenched desert by day and embarking on nocturnal desire-fuelled adventures by night. And let me just say that I am much better equipped to schlep around the Strip in comfortable shorts and casual t-shirts than I am to vamp it up fine dining style.

The only items we managed to salvage from my crumbling wardrobe were several body-hugging camisoles that could be paired with either the last of my boot-cut jeans that fit, or the sole remaining pair of pin-stripped dress pants I own that do not sag and rumple in all the wrong places. We also found one knee-length dress with built in waist-slimming runching which will be perfect for dancing the night away at an überhip club with my awkwardly unhip dance moves.

Still obviously in need of a few new wardrobe accessories, we moved onto shoes next. All that I wear these days are: ballerina flats, a comfortable, yet completely bedraggled pair of six-year old peekaboo sandals and a pair of brand new Saucony runners which were so comfortable on my feet in the store that I was forced to file for divorce from my long-time love affair with Asics.

So after digging through the shadowy storage corners in the basement, I pulled out a giant bag stuffed with strappy shoes of all different colours and heel styles. Also in the bag was a pair of almost knee-high boots that make my calves sweat. And remembering the sheer vastness and distance one walks while exploring the Strip, I decided on a pair of pointy-toed black kitten heels and a pair of mules with reasonable heels and decorative buckles.

Wanting something fresh to wear poolside and something flirty to enhance my running-toned legs while kicking up my heels under the dusky Vegas nightlife skies, I set out to do some shopping last week and if it wasn’t for this pesky thing called a real life, I could have easily blown 17 mortgage payments on new clothes.

I ended up buying a cute mix-and-match belted bikini bottom in fiery orange and a candy-coloured coordinating top with gold hoop emblazoned straps. For evening wear, I absolutely fell in love with an optic white balloon-squirted dress that would look fabulous dining alfresco under a star-strewn sky, but for reasons I don’t quite understand, something about wearing white makes me stain-prone, and as much as I loved that dress, I just knew the inevitable dribbling of red vino on it would totally ruin my night.

Next, I tried on a seductive thigh-high poison-green dress and if wasn’t for the fact that I am a role model to a pint-sized human and a married woman who is mostly opposed to walking around with an amply-panty covered ass peeking out of her clothes, I totally would have bought it.

In the end I settled on a modest, yet simple and chic dress with a tropical turquoise hue. And dammit, if I spill wine that thing, I am so screwed because that dress needs to take me through at least one burlesque style production, a night of electro club mixes and being within intimately close proximity to illusionist titan David Copperfield.

Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


dude. your going to be in vegas sans kid...i think you only need to pack your birthday suit ;)

i'm bad
 

Your wardrobe sounds just like mine!! I live in jeans!!
I am sure you will have a fab time in Vegas ~ no matter what you are wearing!!
Can't wait to see all the photos when you come back!!!
I am sooooooooo jealous!!
love and hugs ~ Tabitha XXX
Posted by Blogger Tabitha :  June 03, 2008
 

Have so much fun.. I love Vegas. You need to post pictures of your new clothes. Your wardrobe sounds eerily similar to mine as well. Being a Mommy can be oh so glamourous!
 

You should model them for us.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  June 03, 2008
 

I still work in a corporate (but casual) environment and I would still have trouble coming up with something for a fancy dinner.

Shout out for Saucony shoes. I LOVE them!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  June 03, 2008
 

I agree with the modeling. Or at least post a lot of photos when you return.

Excited for you :)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  June 03, 2008
 

I'm sure you will have a great time, whatever you decide to wear!
Can't wait to see the holiday photos too!
love Amanda xx
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  June 03, 2008
 

I am sure your wardrobe is much better than mine. I think all I have left in my closet are maternity clothes.
Posted by Blogger Christy :  June 04, 2008
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Monday, June 02, 2008




Recently
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Friday, May 16, 2008
Sunday, May 11, 2008
Friday, May 09, 2008
Tuesday, May 06, 2008
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Monday, April 21, 2008
Friday, April 18, 2008