Intensity
by Karla ° Friday, January 16, 2009
I just got home from the most treacherous ride of my life. And I am not exaggerating in the slightest. This morning Nate and I headed out under sunny skies to make the two hour drive North where he will be staying with his Grandparents for the next ten nights and I swear, as soon I was out of the city limits, the sky turned ominous and dark and all of a sudden all I could see was white, everywhere, and oh my god, where is the road?

While navigating the slippery slope of snow-coated roads, I kept remembering this horrible accident that I read about. Or maybe I saw a tribute on You Tube, I can’t remember for sure, but the life of a mother and father where shattered when a transport truck, unable to stop in time, rammed into their van from behind instantly killing their three children.

That story just haunts me to the depth of my core and knowing that I was carrying precious human cargo in the back while inching through the white-out of a blustery snowstorm made me feel so, so, intense about it all. I mean, man oh man, could I survive the death of another child? I’m not certain my heart is capable of that.

At one point when visibility was minimal, at best, I noticed there were no cars in the southbound lanes and after several minutes of driving I saw the police cars and ambulances and fire trucks blocking the road from any oncoming traffic. There was a horrible accident. I gripped the steering wheel tighter and dared not even take my eyes off the road for one second to steal a glance back at my sleeping toddler.

And almost just like that, we were out of the storm, and when I pulled over to call my Father-in-Law, I realized that my entire body was trembling and even though I shouldn’t have, I crawled in the back and gently stroked Nate’s cheek until he woke up and I told him that mommy really needed a hug and a kiss.

And then all was fine with the world again.

Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


That must have been horrifying for you! I'm so glad you and Nate made it through ok.
Posted by Blogger Lovebuzz38 :  January 16, 2009
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
Posted by Blogger Lovebuzz38 :  January 16, 2009
 

Man that's scary. Hubby just went through a similar drive today, inching his way along I81, suddenly found himself, along with a long line of traffic at a stop sign, they had all gotten off the highway without knowing. The roads were shut down soon after.
Glad you are safe now.
 

Aww what a terrible ride. As I read the entry I could feel anxiety because I've been in those terrible road conditions before and they're exactly like you describe. All the thoughts that go through your mind, it's frightening. I'm so glad you both made it safe and sound, hopefully when you come back the roads will be better to pick Nate up!
I guess now more than ever, enjoy that trip and warm sun!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 16, 2009
 

How scary!
I'm glad you are both safe and sound.
Have a great holiday :-)
l,
Amanda x
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  January 17, 2009
 

You captured perfectly (and beautifully) something that has run through my mind more than once when driving with my precious cargo. Intensity indeed. I'm glad you arrived safe.
 

So glad to hear that you and your precious little boy got there safely ~
I think that I know the You Tube tribute that you may be talking about ~ just so sad.
Hope you are all ready for your holiday ~ looking forward to hearing all about it and of course the photos!!!
Take care ~ Love and hugs Tabitha XXX
Posted by Blogger Tabitha :  January 17, 2009
 

My mom works with the man who you mentioned in your post today. I remember the day that the tragedy happened. The stretch of freeway where the big rig hit the van, I used to drive to work each day with my one year old in tow. For months, I couldn't drive to work without thinking about it. My knuckles would be white from holding the steering wheel so tight....fearful of the same thing happening to my precious child. So I know exactly how you felt driving in that storm.
I don't know if you followed that story, but almost exactly a year to the date, that family had a set of triplets. Two girls and one boy. Truly a miracle.
Have a wonderful vacation with your husband!
:) Trish
Posted by Blogger Trish :  January 17, 2009
 

Karla, honey, as much as we want to protect our kids, it's so important not to live our lives in fear of what might happen.

You'll likely feel more secure if you considered taking a defensive driving course or a course for driving in challenging weather situations so you're more confident. Otherwise, maybe consider pulling of the road when you feel any doubt or fear and letting things subside.

Glad you're all safe.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 17, 2009
 

Hey enjoy your trip!!! We live in Scotland but just came back from a break in the caribbean with our three toddlers. We all had a whale of a time - so hard coming back to the cold. The kids just completely enjoyed the kiddies pool and the beach...and we just enjoyed lounging in our chairs and watching them soak up the rays. Have loads of fun.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 17, 2009
 

Karla,

I am with you on this one. Ever since my son was born, I went from the fast lane driver to the slow lane driver. Now, instead of tailing a person, I am five cars behind them. About two months ago as I was five cars behind there was a four car accident in front of me which would have been a five car accident if I did not distance myself. All because of the "precious cargo" in my vehicle. I always felt that if anything happened to my baby, it better happen to me too, because I don't know what I would do if he wasn't around anymore. Oh, how we love our babies..... That is what make a mother a GREAT MOTHER. I am glad you and Nate made it to your destination okay.

Connie Davis
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 17, 2009
 

OMG.... I'm so sorry! I would have been terrified, too! Glad you both made it through fine!
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  January 18, 2009
 

So glad you're both safe -- I can only imagine how stressful that was.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 22, 2009
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Friday, January 16, 2009




Recently
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Thursday, January 08, 2009
Tuesday, January 06, 2009
Friday, January 02, 2009
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Tuesday, December 09, 2008