25 Things
by Karla ° Monday, February 9, 2009
1. I change my pillow case Every. Single. Night. The thought of my face sleeping on yesterday’s hair products kind of wigs me out.

2. Same goes for dish rags. I use a new one every day.

3. It’s coming up on 18 years now that I’ve been a vegetarian.

4. And it’s been even longer since I’ve eaten eggs.

5. I have several of my very own dishes that meat is not allowed to be cooked in.

6. I spent 12 years of my life as a smoker. I haven’t smoked in almost six years and sometimes the cravings are still overwhelming.

7. I spent 13 years of my life with an eating disorder.

8. I once made a very horrible and hormonally irrational mistake as a teenager and tried to commit suicide.

9. While being rushed to the hospital, I saw “the light” and a several gray silhouette-like shadows waving me towards it. That image has forever been burned into the depth of my mind.

10. I am turning 30 this year and have been with Mark for over half of my life.

11. I was never good at math but for some reason I can calculate sales tax in my head.

12. Growing up I always wanted to be a writer but somewhere along the way the vibrations of the Universe shifted me off course and I fell in love with rocks and minerals and the earth’s magnetic field. And computers.

13. I was put on life support for the birth of my first child and she is the one that did not live.

14. I have a daughter. Her name is Ava. And her memory is reminder every time I see my reflection in the mirror.

15. While miscarrying my second pregnancy, a woman came up to me, opened my hands and delicately draped a pink rosary between my fingers. Holding my hands in hers, she looked me right in the eye and told me that one day I would have beautiful children, and then folded my hands around her prayer beads and left. I have carried that rosary with me everywhere I go and I panic if it is not with me.

16. I have a son. His name is Nathan and he looks just like me and acts just like his father.

17. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, like, often.

18. I like soup, like, a lot.

19. I’ve been wearing the same perfume for over ten years. Clinique, Happy.

20. I own a giant yellow dog with a flatulence problem and two cats. Together, my cats have three eyes and one of them is stupidly fat and ornery and the other one is freakishly thin and cuddly and dying from kidney failure.

21. I have weird toes. They are long and skinny and crocked from years of being shoved into pointy heeled shoes. Ironically, I have never had braces and my teeth are straight.

22. I only had bottom wisdom teeth. My dentist told me that is a sign of the evolutionary advancement of humans. I just liked the drugs.

23. I am a perfectionist, to a fault.

24. My wedding ring was custom made with seven diamonds to reflect the seven years that Mark and I dated before we got married. The diamonds are not perfectly aligned and I prefer it that way because one of my favourite Leonard Cohen songs has a verse that says, “There is crack in everything and that is how the light gets in.” I think that is quite profound and holds a lot of truth.

25. I asked Mark to help me with the final number and all he had to offer was that I have the best husband in the whole entire world. I must admit, I concur.

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


You have had it tough, but look at you now ~ you have a wonderful family and an even more wonderful, perfect son.
I love stopping by at your blog to catch up on what you have all been up too.
hugs!
Amanda x
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  February 09, 2009
 

I enjoyed your list- never would have guessed you were ever a smoker! How did you quit? Also, and I have said this before, your family is gorgeous!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 09, 2009
 

#15 - Wow, that brought tears to my eyes.

#24 - "There is CRACK in everything"? That explains a lot. :)
Posted by Blogger Finelly :  February 09, 2009
 

No wonder you're so messed up.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 09, 2009
 

You are amazingly human, and you are stronger for it. I wish we were friends in real life instead of over the net, bc we could share stories while having a beer.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 09, 2009
 

I'm glad you included the suicide story. I'm fascinated by near death stories. My grandfather died on the operating room table. He said he hovered over the table and saw himself and even heard them announce that he had died. He said there was no pain and he felt completely peaceful. He came back, and when he recounted the words the doctors used when he was dead, they said that is exactly what said in the room. So they were pretty shocked that he saw it.

A couple months ago our 10 year old neighbor died of an asthma attack, and she was brought back. While she was gone she said she was with her late grandmother, swinging at the park. She fell off the swing, and her grandmother firmly told her to get up. Immediately she was alive again.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 09, 2009
 

Thank you so much for sharing this with us karla ~ we actually have quite alot in common that I would have never guessed!!

Love and hugs Tabitha XXXX
Posted by Blogger Tabitha :  February 09, 2009
 

I concur. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Just wonderful.
Posted by Blogger Julie :  February 09, 2009
 

Have your read this blog - Matt and Maddy (though she doesn't know it yet, have been and are living through one of the worst nightmares possible. Matt and his friends have set up a charity to help others in his position. Because I know 3 people in the 'real world' that this has happened to and I have seen how hard it is for them to cope just emotionally and to take care of their kids emotions as well -finances are the last thing on their mind. But it is often a big problem...so if you or any of your readers and othe bloggers wanna help - you can find all of the information here - http://www.mattlogelin.com/ .

Learnt some new things about you taht I dodn't know and remembered some that you had hinted about before.

Stay strong.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 10, 2009
 

Hilary, I must admit, I had tried to quit several times, tried cold turkey, the patch, you name it. But it wasn't until I wanted to start a family that I was actually able to do it - no patch, drugs or anything. I swear it's all about being committed and motivated.
Posted by Blogger karla :  February 10, 2009
 

Great list, Karla!

When I think of you it goes like this:

Karla/Mark/Ava/Nathan
Posted by Blogger Gina :  February 11, 2009
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Monday, February 09, 2009




Recently
Friday, February 06, 2009
Monday, February 02, 2009
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Monday, January 26, 2009
Friday, January 23, 2009
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Monday, January 19, 2009
Friday, January 16, 2009
Thursday, January 15, 2009