The way to a woman's heart
by Karla ° Tuesday, February 17, 2009
I have something very important to announce. Something extraordinary happened last weekend and I’m pretty sure that if I don’t document the momentous occasion I will wake up next week and think it was all just a fantasy.

People, I have known Mark for over half of my life and have been sleeping with him for almost just as long and aside from the occasional hang-over peanut butter saturated bagel he’s made for me, the man has never ever, not even once cooked me a meal. I know! Let me clarify something about this situation though. I am perhaps the world’s pickiest eater. Worse than a toddler really, except for the part where I eat all of my vegetables, you know, as long as they weren’t cooked near, on or beside a meat product. And if you think that sounds crazy, you should see me in a restaurant or when I order a take-out sandwich and ask someone to change their gloves please and thank you because dear god those gloves probably touched MEAT!

I’m pretty sure this confession totally classifies me as legally insane and overly anal. I know this because you should see how many times people have rolled their eyes at me. But suffice it to say, my avoidance of meat, and Mark’s avoidance of vegetables plus the addition of a new life into our family means that over the years, Mark and I have moulded our relationship into a comfortable harmony of compromise and that means he is the breadwinner and does not have to touch vegetables and I am the spender, er, I mean, investor of our money and cooker of food and picker upper of his man socks.

Anyway, back to last weekend. Mark asked me what I wanted to do for Valentine’s Day and to be totally honest; I don’t get too wrapped up in this kind of holiday. Or any holiday for that matter, except for Christmas. If it was up to me, I’d leave a Christmas tree up in my house all year long. But birthdays? Meh. I’d rather someone take me for good conversation and a soy latte rather than eat a slice of cake. And instead of a dozen roses, I’d rather one hour alone to soak in bathtub overflowing with gossamer apple-scented bubbles that are not tainted with toddler pee. And then maybe a sensual massage by someone with strong man hands. Or a foot rub.

Oh! Right! Last weekend. So Mark asked what I wanted for Valentine’s Day and I told him that I would be totally smitten if he cooked me dinner. And then he froze and asked what I would like to eat and I played coy and was all, you know, whatev, food.

And man oh man did his meal ever impress. The man who does not eat vegetables unless it is broccoli covered in cheese and that is only maybe sometimes/never a) came home from the grocery store shaking his head wondering how a bevy of multi-coloured peppers and bok choy costs more than a giant box of hamburgers and b) made me a meal that was perhaps the most delish cashew-infused stir fry that I have eaten in my entire life.

And then! And then! For dessert, since he knows I don’t love pastry or overly sweet sugar-laced treats he bought sumptuously plump fresh berries to dip in the most creamy and tasty organic strawberry yogurt I have ever tasted and served them to me from a wide-brimmed crystal wine glass.

And they say the way to a man’s heart is through is stomach. My still goose-bumped woman skin begs to differ.

Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Am soooooo jealous!

Also, now want stirfry!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 17, 2009
 

Your hubby sounds wonderful Karla!!
Sounds like you had a great time!
Love and big hugs ~ Tabitha XXX
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 17, 2009
 

Lucky you! He may be regretting making it so good, 'cause I'm sure you'll be wanting more of the same!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 17, 2009
 

How wonderful!! That sounds just great ~ Mark did well!
Love,
Amanda x
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  February 17, 2009
 

What a guy!! He sounds amazing. So glad you had a great day!
Posted by Blogger Megan :  February 17, 2009
 

OK. Have been following you on Twitter...do your tweets mean you have another announcement?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  February 17, 2009
 

What an awesome gift! :) My husband knows how to cook two things well - steak (on the grill) and fettucine alfredo. Your dinner sounds AMAZING!! I'm so happy because you're happy!
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  February 18, 2009
 

Sweet!
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  February 21, 2009
 

Can Mark please teach my husband how to cook? :)
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Tuesday, February 17, 2009




Recently
Friday, February 13, 2009
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Monday, February 09, 2009
Friday, February 06, 2009
Monday, February 02, 2009
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Monday, January 26, 2009
Friday, January 23, 2009
Thursday, January 22, 2009