Life Captured Through a Digital Lens
by Karla ° Monday, December 3, 2007
So, I was out shopping late last week and out of the blue, a dainty fairy hovering on gossamer wings and an orb of enchantment appeared before my bewildered eyes. With a twinkle in her eye and a flick of the wrist, she waved her magic wand and POOF!, a new DSLR camera fell from the sky and into my eager (but entirely novice) hands.

The timing couldn’t have been more perfect because our Canon PowerShot S40 has seen better days. That was our first (and only) digital camera. Mark received it as a gift from his boss at the time, a VP of Finance, for helping him set up a network in his Rosedale home. This is one of the wealthiest neighbourhoods in Ontario and it is home to some of Canada’s richest and most famous citizens, and apparently, also home to some of Canada’s most generous citizens because as a token of his appreciation, Mark’s boss gave him a camera accompanied with a receipt for $1199.99 plus tax.

When Mark showed me his gift, my eyes bulged with awe and opportunity. But not for photography. I was all like, “Dude, lets return it and go shopping for clothes!”

But Mark insisted that we keep it, and for over seven years that camera has been the tool used to capture our most precious memories, including a sting ray mere inches from my foot on a white sand shoreline in Jamaica, to the spine tingling magic of the fountains of the Bellagio, to the birth of my two children, all the while enduring being hastily tossed into overstuffed bags and occasionally dropped on the ground. Through everything that camera has withstood, it has not disappointed in the least, but it has also rarely been used on any setting but “auto”.

I have always thought that photography is neat, but I also find it very intimidating. After Nate was born though, I found myself increasingly interested in exercising some creative control on the keepsakes that will be my forever reminder of my son’s youth.

Hence, the introduction of this mine field of photographic opportunity that is my new Canon Digital Rebel XTi.

I bought the camera body and the newly released EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens to go with it. In theory, the Image Stabilization technology is supposed to translate to a "gain" equivalent up to 4 f-stops. Personally, I’m all over the image stabilization because my hands are a mess of caffeine fuelled jitters.

I have also read reviews that boldly claim this lens performs in line with the (much higher priced) EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM IS, which, for a budget savvy novice, is great news because a thousand dollar lens is not in my foreseeable future.

The very affordable 50mm f1.8 lens is on my Christmas wish list. Right before Oh My God What Have I Gotten Myself Into and right next to Wannabe Hobbyist Photograher.

Truthfully, I sort of feel like I am drowning at the moment in this vast field where science and art collide to capture life, stilled inside a bokeh background and framed with a guassian blur.

This camera has some mighty big shoes to fill, but I’m eager to learn.

And my eyes and ears are open for any camera tips or techniques that you are willing to share with this aspiring Digital SLR hobbyist.
Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


extreme jealousy! i can't believe you got a rebel.
 

I just got a Nikon D80 for my birthday/Christmas. And probably the next 15 birthday/Christmases. I, too, am excited to learn about DSLR and more than a little nervous and overwhelmed. My husband just got me a book called The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby and while I haven't started reading it yet, it's supposed to be an excellent read. He also wrote one on Photoshop, if you're looking to get into that too. I am, as Photoshop and Digital SLR photography seem to go hand-in-hand.

I hope you have as much fun learning as I also hope I do.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  December 03, 2007
 

Oh - I'm SOOooo jealous! I have access to a DSLR at work, but I have to share it with other staff, so I mostly only get it when I'm on trips. I want one of my own!
 

I hope my Foto Fridays help.

I had the Canon Rebel until I got a new 40D two weeks ago. The Rebel is an amazing camera, though.

I got the 50mm F/1.8 with my 40D kit, and it is worth every penny :)
Posted by Blogger Angella :  December 03, 2007
 

Oh, I have a Rebel that is a few years old. I love it. My husband and I bought it for ourselves for Christmas one year.

I love photography (in a very amateur way) but rarely have time to take as much as I would like. Enjoy it and don't edit yourself. The nice thing about digital cameras is that you do not have to worry about film running out. Take many photos of the same thing and then when you look at them later you start to get a sense of why one looks better than another, etc. You can always delete the bad ones.
 

OMG, I am so ridiculously happy for you. In my world, cool new cameras are celebrated, like, with dinner at a restaurant. Anything you need, any questions at all, shoot me an email: gypsypeach@aol.com

My professional photography site, if you want to check it out, is:

www.milestoneimages.us

If you want a few ideas, choose "Celebrations and Portraiture by Angie." The majority of my babies and children work can be found in the "Headshots and Portraiture" gallery. I love photographing little hands and feet.

Now go enjoy that new camera smell! Like cars, only better.
 

Congrats on the purchase! I have had my Digi Rebel for just over a year and a half now, and although the Canon D5 is on my must have wish list, I have had a wonderful personal and professional relationship (lol) with it :)

Email anytime for tips or questions.
angelacpowers@yahoo.com

Have fun!!!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  December 03, 2007
 

I don't know what any of that means. All I know is I'm jealous. Can't wait to see some beautiful new pics!
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  December 03, 2007
 

Let the good times roll ... although rolls are outmoded.
 

Next time you see that fairy, could you give her my name and address, please? Congrats on the new purchase--I've admired your flixr pictures from afar (sadly I have no talent in photography) and am looking forward to many more. Enjoy!
Posted by Blogger shauna :  December 04, 2007
 

I need one of those to fall into my lap, too!
Posted by Blogger Gina :  December 04, 2007
 

Oh! I just got my xti last week.

I feel so completely lost and scared. (Yes, my camera scares me! I am terrified of dropping it. Like, I get weak in the knees when I hold it.)

Perhaps we can learn how to use our new cameras together?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  December 07, 2007
 

We recently got the Canon 30d with the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens and I LOVE it!! Have fun with your new camera!!
Posted by Blogger Candi :  December 08, 2007
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Monday, December 03, 2007




Recently
Saturday, December 01, 2007
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Monday, November 26, 2007
Friday, November 23, 2007
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Monday, November 19, 2007
Thursday, November 15, 2007
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Friday, November 09, 2007
Wednesday, November 07, 2007