Resolve
by Karla ° Thursday, July 3, 2008
It was a sweltering afternoon in Las Vegas and Mark and I were lazily soaking up the warmth of a sun-filled desert while sipping ice cold beer when I suddenly turned to him and blurted out that we should run a half marathon. And since we were both intoxicated with alcohol inflicted vacation vertigo, Mark paused for a brief moment while pondering my words and then suggested we begin training immediately and ordered us two more drinks filled with barley and hops and carbohydrate-packed fuel for our thirsty bodies.

And that was the last of that conversation until we got home and Mark asked if I was actually serious about running a half marathon. It occurred to me to renege on my promise, but friends, I am a woman of my word and not fulfilling a promise is just not an option. Except, apparently, when it comes to blowjobs. Because according to Mark, I’m years behind on fulfilling those obligations.

Growing up, I was never much of the athletic type and spent much of my awkward childhood trying not end up the last person picked for the team while simultaneously trying to shrink and shyly fade into the background. It wasn’t until I had a deeper purpose that I discovered the vitality of an untapped inner strength; Ava. Her memory, softly illuminating this path I walk in life, lives on in all that I do. Shortly after she passed away I desperately wanted to make her proud of me and set out on a training mission like nothing I had ever done before. Running quickly became my escape. My means to cope. And with your support, we raised $1100 for charity in her honour. Seriously, the sheer power of this united online collective never fails to amaze me, and I’m still in awe over the astonishing outpouring of generosity from that run.

It’s so empowering and inspiring to know that the boundaries of human resolve are endless and I will never forget the day that I ran 10 kilometers in Ava's memory. I felt authentically vibrant. Alive. Strong.

As I continue this journey of life down a path softly aglow by the memory of my first born and guided by ever-evolving spirit of my son, my never-ending search for the things that fulfill my expanding soul continues. And so, here I stand, nervous to fail but ambitious to succeed, or at the very least, complete an entire half marathon without falling flat on my face.

Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


You go, girl!!!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  July 03, 2008
 

We'll be cheering you on.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  July 03, 2008
 

There's one coming up in October in Kelowna BC that might make for a nice vaca for you guys....and it gives you plenty of time to train.
Good luck, you can TOTALLY make this goal.
Posted by Blogger Mama T :  July 03, 2008
 

That is fantastic Karla ~ I am sure that you will do it ~
We'll be cheering you on from England too!!
XXX
Posted by Blogger Tabitha :  July 03, 2008
 

I have also been thinking about training for a half marathon. Can you please share you training schedule?

Good Luck!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  July 03, 2008
 

You
can
do
it!
Failure is not an option.
Posted by Blogger Dora :  July 03, 2008
 

If anyone can do it, it's you! :)
Good luck!
Posted by Blogger Alison :  July 04, 2008
 

You are an amazing woman. You could probably run halfway around the world with your strength!
 

Good for you! There's no way I'll ever be running that far, but I would sure love to know what kind of training you have to do for a marathon.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  July 04, 2008
 

Go for it Karla. I just know you can and will suceed in running the marathon.
Cheering you on from Scotland!
l,
Amanda xx
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  July 05, 2008
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Thursday, July 03, 2008




Recently
Monday, June 30, 2008
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Friday, June 20, 2008
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Friday, June 13, 2008
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Monday, June 09, 2008
Sunday, June 08, 2008
Friday, June 06, 2008