Possession date: July 14
by Karla ° Friday, June 5, 2009
It’s been two weeks since we officially became owners of a new house. Two weeks that have flown by so quickly I barely even remember blinking. Between dealing and negotiating interest rates with banks, trying to dig up all the documents our Lawyer needs (I didn’t even know we were supposed to have the transfer of land/deed to our house,) contacting and making arrangements for home insurance and then dealing with a life insurance agent that didn’t want to talk to me because it was Mark’s policy I was increasing, which, as far as I'm concerned doesn't really matter because Mark is the one that has to pee in the cup anyway, but fine. The thing is, Mark just does not have the time or luxury during the day to deal with the annoying replacement of our old Broker who a) doesn’t return phones calls and b) after scanning and sending the first few pages of his current policy from Equitable Life, the new insurance broker was all, hmm, this looks like a Royal Bank policy, are you sure you scanned the right document? And then because the whole process of just trying to get him to arrange the paramedical before Mark turns 90 had already been going on for two weeks I not so delicately sent an email to point out that in the first five pages Mark's current policy (which he received) says EQUITABLE LIFE no less than 22 times. A paramedical nurse called a few hours later and Mark gets to pee in a cup next week.

Whoever said once you finally sold and bought means you can finally relax is clearly delusional. I’ll take going through strangers homes and snooping in their closets over calling customer service after customer service agent to switch over our services any day.

Nate absolutely loved the whole process of buying a new home. Every morning he would wake up and the first thing out of his mouth would be, “I wanna buy a new house mom.” Wait, correction. The first thing out of this mouth every morning, without fail is, “I wanna watch a toon, I wan’t milk, I peed in my diaper.” Exactly like that, all in one sentence. AND THEN he would tell me that he wanted to buy a new house.

Whenever we were out looking at homes he would instantly turn into a riotous toddler on a mission to explore his new surroundings and start running through halls and corridors telling me that he wanted to buy THIS house. It really didn’t matter WHAT house, just that he wanted to buy THIS house with the money he has saved in his piggy bank.

And finally, twenty days of after closing the deal on our house, we found a place that we plan to call home for a very VERY long time so help me god if I get to itch to move again please direct my attention immediately to a padded room in an insane asylum.

The second I saw this house, it felt like home. It’s in a community with traffic calming roundabouts and located on a child-safe crescent. My Father-in-Law called it the “gingerbread house” and at first I was all huh? My house looks tasty? But then I got what he meant. It’s a quaint red brick suburban home with tall gingerbread-like roof peaks and a cute wraparound porch leading to a lipstick-red double door entrance.

The entry opens to a foyer with a 20 foot ceiling and spiral oak staircase. Immediately to the left is an office which, someday, I hope to turn into a photography studio.

Immediately at the top of the stairs are double doors that lead into the master bedroom, which has yet another double door entrance to an en-suite large enough for BOTH Mark and me to brush our teeth at the same time without bumping elbows. The best part though, ok, besides the giant tub, is that the en-suite has a separate room for the toilet, which is totally brilliant because what woman doesn’t want to wake up in the morning and send her husband to the water closet so she can do her makeup in adequately ventilated air.

Oh, and I absolutely adore the architectural details of Nate’s future bedroom, which he calls the “castle” room. It has a Cathedral ceiling, a rounded wall and tall peaked church-like windows. The other two bedrooms, will, er, stay empty. For now.

There are even newly planted fruit trees outside. Which may or may not be a good thing depending on whether or not Samson decides if he likes pears.

When I asked Nate what his favourite part of the new house was, he said the kitty door. I didn't have the heart to tell him that one of our cats is probably too fat to fit through it.

And now that we bought a house, Nate's all upset and wants to buy ANOTHER one. Either I have a budding real estate mongrel on my hands or we need to work on the concept of the value of a penny.

###

A few pictures of the new house:

Entrance.

Staircase.

Open Foyer to above, clearly in need of a pimped out chandelier.

Main floor office/Future Studio?

Now we're cooking with gas.

Eat-in Kitchen.

Entrance to master en-suite.

Nate's future "castle" bedroom.

Curved castle-y wall.

There are a few more photos from the MLS listing on flickr, too.

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


The house looks huge and is beautiful. Were you able to stay in Ajax?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  June 05, 2009
 

OMG...Gorgeoue Gorgeous Gorgeous. I am super jealous! I do agree though you need to find the perfect pimped out chandelier for your front entry-way. Love it!
 

La habitación de Nate es preciosa, y la casa enorme. Felicidades!
Posted by Anonymous Susana :  June 05, 2009
 

We are staying in Ajax. This is, well, home.

I agree Susana, Nate's room is precious. :)
Posted by Blogger karla :  June 05, 2009
 

Wow, that is beautiful!! Congratulations, it really looks like a home!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  June 05, 2009
 

What a great house! Congratulations!!!!!
Posted by Blogger catdoggg :  June 05, 2009
 

As one who just turned down an obscenely low offer on my own home, I am seething with (happy!) jealousy at your beautiful new place. What a wonderful new home - so full of promise and happy memories. Congratulations.
Posted by Anonymous Cari :  June 05, 2009
 

Congrats, Karla! It looks like a very nice home!

We bought our house 2 years ago and our oldest was 4.5. He LOVED running through the houses....especially the empty ones! He was probably a bit sad when we stopped looking at houses, too.
Posted by Blogger Candi :  June 05, 2009
 

Talk about character, LOVE it!
Posted by Anonymous kami :  June 05, 2009
 

Absolutely gorgeous! Congrats! :)
Posted by Blogger Chibi :  June 05, 2009
 

Nates new bedroom is wonderful ~ actually I want to move in there myself ha ha !!
I cannot wait to see more of your new home when you have moved in. I am sure that you will be very happy there for many many years to come (and if you ever decide to move again ~ I will book you that padded cell myself!!!)
Love and big hugs Tab XXXXXX
Posted by Blogger Tabitha :  June 05, 2009
 

Stunning!!! I wish you all many many happy years to come in your new home.
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  June 05, 2009
 

The house looks gorgeous. I wish you nothing but happiness there.
Posted by Anonymous Susan :  June 05, 2009
 

It's just lovely: congratulations!
Posted by Blogger ccr in MA :  June 05, 2009
 

Well done! I'm in love with the double entry doors and the windows in Nate's room. What fun he'll have being king! Many congrats!
Posted by Anonymous Nicki in NC :  June 05, 2009
 

I love it. Congratulations!
Posted by Blogger Erin Parker :  June 05, 2009
 

no no no it is just not fair for you to have a stove like then when all you will do is cook pizza. dammit karla you better at least make your own crust with that kind of oven.

i am so jealous. that house is amazing. FRIGGING AMAZING!

I bet the cheese will even taste better just because it is in that kitchen.

No fair at all!
 

Shannon (Misguided Mommy) - dude, I so make my own crust whenever possible...hard whole wheat dough, wheat germ and and all that tasty stuff. I assure you it will taste delish in my new oven. You are welcome anytime to confirm. ;)
Posted by Blogger karla :  June 07, 2009
 

It's so beautiful! I especially love Nate's room. Gas stoves are better. I wish I had one.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  June 10, 2009
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Friday, June 05, 2009




Recently
Thursday, June 04, 2009
Wednesday, June 03, 2009
Tuesday, June 02, 2009
Sunday, May 31, 2009
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Monday, May 18, 2009
Friday, May 15, 2009
Tuesday, May 12, 2009