Interview
by Karla ° Monday, June 18, 2007
I volunteered myself to my bloggy pal Gina for an interview and then anxiously awaited her questions because Gina is super awesome and I knew it would be fun to answer her questions.

What has been the biggest unexpected adjustment you have had to make with Nate?

I had to think about this one because my answer keeps changing. At first I thought it might be the lack of sleep, and then I thought it might be not having family around to help out, but today I think I am going to have to say the hardest adjustment has been the painfully cranky baby days I have endured before coming to the realization of the importance of a sleep schedule.

I don’t know if it’s the best kept parenting secret or if I am really that dense and it didn’t occur to me to put Nate on a schedule, but now that I know, I am sort of wishing I could turn back time and slap myself in the face for not realizing that my baby would be much happier on a schedule. The difference in his mood is like night and day and he is now sleeping up to 11 hours every night and he totally deserves a gold medal for his champion napping skills.

So you must be wondering why this is such a huge adjustment if my baby is happier and I can sleep all night long and have up to 5 hours of free time during the day when he takes his naps - I know - sounds like a dream come true doesn’t it? The truth is, I am having a hard time with being on a routine and not being able to just leave the house when my heart so desires anymore, which is what I had been doing for the past 6 months. And although structure and routine means Nate is like a new baby that rarely fusses anymore, I am feeling a bit like a prisoner in my own home now.

I guess what I am really saying is that I am having a hard time adjusting to finding a balance between meeting both Nate’s and my own needs.


1998, where were you and what were you doing?

In 1998 I was in my second year of college and for the love of doing what college kids do, I still was not of legal age to drink because I was only 18. So while the cool kids were drinking at the bars, I spent my time studying and getting on the Honour Roll and being a big brown noser and stuff, which was such a waste because once I graduated I spent all of 3 months in my field before I realized I made more money as a part time secretary. So I went back to school for computers, which was great for a couple of years and then I became a stay at home mom, which was a decision Mark and I made for our future family back in 1996 when we were dating in high school - right around the same time he dyed his blond locks black and was thinking about dropping out of school to be a rockstar.


What is the beauty product you swear by?

If I had to pick one thing that I couldn’t live without it would be proactiv. I have been using proactiv for 7 or 8 years now. I have tried everything from here to the moon and it is the only thing that keeps my skin blemish free. I use it religiously, twice a day, every day. The only time I stopped using it was during my pregnancies, and I am not exaggerating one bit when I say that the minute I stopped using it my face exploded and I wanted to spend my entire pregnancy with a pillow case over my head.

Explain the biggest differences between Americans and Canadians.

I was going to tell a funny joke about the differences between Americans and Canadians but then I realized we probably have a joke telling tax and the goverment already taxes about 60% of our money and we cannot afford to pay anymore.

So I guess the biggest difference is that our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on so we can continue to drink beer when it snows.

Talking on the phone- big chore or pleasant pastime?

That’s a big Chore with a capital C! If you call me, you will probably get my answering machine and it takes me forever to call anyone back. Email is definitely my preferred means of communication.

Thanks for the questions Gina. Now I am going to encourage anyone reading to head over to your blog and tease you about the Ant Farm catastrophe OK?

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


That's very well summed up, finding a balance between your child's need and yours. Something I imagine will be in a constant state of flux until, oh, he's ready for college?! However, I will say that you are doing splendidly, having realized all this before Nate was one. You do need to get right with your house, though. And for me this meant finding things that I liked to do while inside (grr) and at home (grr), hence now i knit, garden and bake. Alot. Oh, and blog. Good luck!
Posted by Blogger Mama T :  June 18, 2007
 

Woman, you crack me up!

I agree that a schedule is pretty important, and this second child will have no choice, as Mr. P's school schedule is going to dictate a rather rigorous one.

But hey, I'll make it work, we all do!

Thanks for being such a good sport, and I will be sure never to call you! ;)
Posted by Blogger Gina :  June 18, 2007
 

Andrew was a fussy baby and I was terrible about having a nap routine. Shortly after Alison was born our car broke down, and I refused to go into debt for a car, so I went a year without one while we saved up enough cash. During that year it was easy to stick to a routine because it was hard to get away from home. Alison was so happy. I wish I had done that with Andrew.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  June 18, 2007
 

I have been following your blog for a while now, silently. I came across it when you were about 4 months pregnant with Nate, I think. And I waited on pins and needles when you went in for his birth around Christmas. He is such a little cutie! My son was born Jan. 5, so you seem to experience everything just a few weeks before me. But when I saw your post today, I finally had to communicate- How do you get your little boy to sleep? I know a schedule would be good, but how did you get him to actually sleep? Rock to sleep, cry it out, or what? We are battling with co-sleeping now, out of desperation...Any advice would be great!
Posted by Blogger Erin :  June 18, 2007
 

Yay for Nate sleeping so long at night. That must be wonderful My 16 month old still gets up most nights and he is my 4th and I should know some tricks on how to make him sleep all night but at last he doesn't ahhah As for your phone question and your answer That is me 100% I thought I was just weird because I do not care for phone calls that much at all. People seems to sense when I am the most busy and figure that would be a great time to call me. I prefer emails and im's and I can get back to them on my own time too. Nate is such a handsome lil' man and love seeing him grow up in the pictures you share
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  June 18, 2007
 

Karla,

Your a trip! I love the difference between Amer. and Canadians answer.

Got to get up there for some of that beer.

You know, my GF just turned me on to Proactive a couple weeks ago. She swears by it. She started about a month ago. I tried it while visiting her and was planning to get some but we just found out we slipped on past the goalie.
You mentioned not using it during pregnancy, that is what I figured. So, I will continue walking around disquised as a pimply 15 yr. old for now.
Posted by Blogger Samantha :  June 19, 2007
 

Naterbugs new pictures are soooo cute. I love the one of him with daddy and his thumb. Was this just the best daddies day ever!
 

Great answers! What a fun interview!!! Don't feel bad about the schedule thing...we didn't get Zander on any type of schedule until he was about 7 months old. And I felt a little trapped as well!
Posted by Blogger Cate :  June 19, 2007
 

Schedules are a beautiful thing, aren't they? I felt the same way about not having the freedom to go out but it didn't take long to get used to the routine. Oh, about the balance, good luck. My son's 2 and I'm still trying to find balance.
Posted by Blogger Shelliza :  June 21, 2007
 

Great interview! I do have one question though, why did you stop using proactiv when you were pregnant? I used it too up until recently, but I wouldn't have known better to stop while I'm now pregnant. I simply decided to try something new since I'm breaking out like a teenager. Is there something in it that is harmful to baby?
Posted by Blogger Finelly :  June 22, 2007
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Monday, June 18, 2007




Recently
Sunday, June 17, 2007
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Sunday, June 10, 2007
Friday, June 08, 2007
Wednesday, June 06, 2007
Monday, June 04, 2007
Friday, June 01, 2007
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Tuesday, May 29, 2007