44.5 hours
by Karla ° Tuesday, May 27, 2008
I’m not sure how to say this, so I am just going to come right out and say it.

Our first weekend without toddler-centric responsibilities was fabulous.

And for the first time since, oh, I don’t know, our alcohol-fuelled pub frequenting days of the past, Mark and I slept a gloriously uplifting 11 hours Friday night. Without the eager squeals of a raring-to-go toddler in the morning, that’s almost an entire two nights sleep all rolled into one giant slumber fest. And when I rolled out of bed at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday morning, I felt so rejuvenated that I bet I could have survived the day without coffee. But then I thought, "Why risk a perfectly healthy feeling head?" And downed several cups of body-jolting java just to keep the onset of a caffeine deficiency headache at bay.

I also went for a long run Saturday to try and clear away the full body weariness coursing through my bones from this never-ending cold. Not even Samson came along because even though one would think an energetic dog like him would be a great running companion, he has some serious issues with endurance.

His energy seems to come in fits and spurts, which is probably why he seems to enjoy unleashing pent up energy by running in vigorously fast figure eight circles all over the back yard, tearing up the grass under his feet as he goes. This speed-crazed, tongue-dangling sprinting only lasts for about two minutes though before he gets tired, and then he spends the next hour recuperating by drinking all the water from our toilets and chasing the cats.

And then there's keeping pace with a human. Our runs usually start out fine with Samson dutifully heeling at my left side, but after about 20 minutes of pounding the pavement, his giant dog body becomes fatigued, and then I spend the rest of the run tugging a 90 pound yellow anchor home.

To say it was entirely liberating being out on my own without a people-watching toddler being pushed in front of me or a tuckered out dead weight of a dog dragging behind me would be an understatement.

But no matter how rejuvenating it was to hang up my hat of responsibility for exactly 44.5 hours, I missed my boy something fierce. The house felt eerily quiet without the squeals of his contagious laughter and the pitter patter of little scampering feet.

And as much as I’m looking forward to a vacation and spending some electrifying passion-sparked one-on-one time with Mark, I’m already looking forward to coming home and being reunited as a family again.

Labels: , ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Karla, I can only imagine how much you missed Nate. The only time I have been away from my 5 year old was when I was in the hospital having his little brother. I went into labor after my 5 year old was in bed, so he didn't even know I wasn't there until he woke. I had my second little one at 5 am and went home the next day--even though I could have stayed another night....I just wanted to go home!! So, laying in the hospital pushing a baby out isn't exactly the same as going on a nice get away, but I was still eager to get home to my 5 year old!!

If we had family living closer to us, it is possible that we would consider a get away without the boys, but at this point that just isn't an option. I hope you enjoy your trip!!

Eager to hear how Nate did on his weekend away....
Posted by Blogger Candi :  May 27, 2008
 

So glad that you enjoyed your free time. I know what you mean about feeling liberated, and I know how you must have missed little Nate.
My daughter is going on a sleepover tomorrow night and this is the first night ever that she will have spent away from me (she is 6!!!!). She is so excited and it is just me being silly ~ but I will miss her being here!!!
I am sure you will have the best time ever in Vegas and Nate will be just fine.
Sending love and hugs ~ Tabitha X
Posted by Blogger Tabitha :  May 27, 2008
 

I know exactly how you feel. Since we too are two hours from home, when Nana takes either or both kids for a couple of days it's very liberating but so very lonely at the same time. You almost don't know what to do with yourself.
Posted by Blogger Cheryl :  May 27, 2008
 

I'm glad you had a restfull time together. Isn't it amazing how a good nights sleep can make you see the world differently?!
And Nate would be happy staying with the grandparents getting spoiled rotten, cause thats what Grandparents are for!!!
Love Amanda x
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  May 27, 2008
 

As great as it is to take a break from your young one, there is nothing like coming home to him. It makes you appreciate him more. I totally understand! Glad you had a wonderful and ~relaxing~ time!
 

but how did Nate do??? i'm so curious, because i've never left my son for more than a few hours...and i want to!!!
Posted by Blogger Joyce :  May 27, 2008
 

I hear ya! I try to enjoy every second when the kids are gone, b/c who knows how long it will be before it happens again! However, the moment I see them again for the first time is always such a joyous occasion! I even like them again for at least a couple of days!

Then I spend the rest of my time wondering when I'm going to get to send them away again...

You know I'm just kidding, right?...Right?...Yeah, I would never spend my time thinking of sending my kids to their nana's house...no, never...
Posted by Blogger Christi :  May 28, 2008
 

Yay! So glad it went well.

Everything you said is the exact reason I love four days/week of daycare. It seriously makes me appreciate Lucy and our time together more, and makes me a better parent.

So much so, that last night -- when we only saw her for a half hour before heading out for a child-free night of Indian food and Indiana Jones -- and this morning -- when we only saw her for an hour before daycare -- I miss her something fierce...
Posted by Blogger Carly Foster :  May 28, 2008
 

Nate was a total trouper, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well things went. He even cut a tooth over the weekend. I'm really glad we did this trial run, because now I know that he is going to be just fine while we are gone, and I won't have to spend the entire vacation wondering how he's doing.
Posted by Blogger karla :  May 28, 2008
 

As wearying as our babysitting gig can be, I can easily miss her nibs when I don't see her for a day or even part of a day.
Posted by Blogger Anvilcloud :  May 30, 2008
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Tuesday, May 27, 2008




Recently
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Friday, May 16, 2008
Sunday, May 11, 2008
Friday, May 09, 2008
Tuesday, May 06, 2008
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Monday, April 21, 2008
Friday, April 18, 2008
Monday, April 14, 2008
Saturday, April 12, 2008