Sicky
by Karla ° Wednesday, January 4, 2006
About once a year, our cats manage to catch themselves a wicked case of conjunctivitis. In short, they get pink eye. We’ve theorized that’s how our one eyed wonder lost his eye when he was in the hands of neglectful owners, but since any form of proof (like the missing eyeball) makes confirming that theory impossible, we just go with the flow and accept that our cats get pink eye every now and then.

It’s pitiful really, particularly if our one eyed cat has to surrender his lone eyeball to the infection. The fact that he already manages the occasional straight on head smack into a wall when his one eye is healthy makes me want to perma glue a helmet to his head. Combine his head banging clumsiness with a solitary infected winky window to the world, and your left with a blindingly freaky ability to navigate. It really is sad. Just grips my heart you know.

This time around, it’s my dual eyeball cat that is sick. I know he is sick when he swallows his pride and leaves his Master of the Universe/God complex at the door for unbribed and unforced snuggle time.

After a bazillion dollars spent in vet bills and kitty prescriptions to cure our fur babies ailments, we have become wise and figured out that there is an over the counter human equivalent to the hundreds of dollars vet prescription to remedy these eyeball issues. You think saving a bazillion dollars would fill me with giddy glee, but dispensing the medicine is not pleasant.

To start, I must straddle my cat while he lies mercilessly on his back under the mammoth weight of my large human body while I squash his poor limp cat limbs with my own. The kicker is when I try to pry his little kitty eyelid open to expose a panicky cat eyeball and squirt a quarter inch strip of oily cream in his eye.

To try and offset any trauma or ill feelings I have caused him, I always provide treats a plenty once the meds have been dosed. The thing is, this cat is not stupid. Obese maybe, but not stupid. I’m starting to wonder if he is pretending to be winky and subjecting himself to my tortuous thrice daily administration of medicine for the sole purpose of six delicious treat. That’s double the amount of treatilicious goodness that he usually gets when he is just being an assehole and meowing incessantly for them. He may have found the ultimate loophole to outwitting and outsmarting his human caregiver. I mean, who wouldn’t want to up the treat anti to this sick little cripple?


Ringing in the new year with my sick kitty.
Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Happy New Year Karla!
Hope the kitty gets better soon! Pink eye is the worst!
 

That's not fair -- playing monopoly against a blind cat who can't see how many houses you've got or the number on the die.
Posted by Blogger Anvilcloud :  January 04, 2006
 

Oh, AC is cracking me up!

Great to have you posting again Karla, I've missed you!

Poor kitty!
Posted by Blogger Gina :  January 04, 2006
 

Aww, poor baby!
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  January 04, 2006
 

Poor cat. Hope it's all healthy again soon..
 

Who says animals aren't smart... enduring a bit o punishment for a treat.. :o)

Having had pink eye myself, I hope your kitty gets better - its hell when you can't see.

So is that the secret to winning at monopoly.. the glass o wine!
 

Aww poor little kitty cat! I hope the eyes clear up very soon! I am a huge pushover and would so spoil the kitty with treats too!
Posted by Blogger Patyrish :  January 05, 2006
 

just checking out ur blog ur link was on beth's blog
hope ur cat gets better soon
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  January 07, 2006
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Wednesday, January 04, 2006




Recently
Wednesday, December 21, 2005
Friday, December 09, 2005
Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Friday, December 02, 2005
Wednesday, November 30, 2005
Monday, November 14, 2005
Thursday, November 03, 2005
Friday, October 28, 2005
Friday, October 21, 2005
Monday, October 17, 2005