I QUIT!
by Karla ° Thursday, November 3, 2005
I think I should start this post by offering my apologies for the lack of posting and commenting, and less than vague reasons for my absence. In my own defense, I have a good reason for my extended hiatus.

I have quit my job. I’m an unemployed nobody, and truth be told, I have never felt better. I had the inevitable task of making my resignation finally official looming over me while on Maternity leave the past few months, and it’s finally done (and so is my Maternity leave at the end of November).

In an attempt to be gracious when handing in my resignation, (translation: keep boss as a future reference), I explained that my decision wasn’t an easy one, but after much consideration, I decided to pursue new opportunities. I even offered my sincere thanks for the opportunity to grow and learn in such a challenging career. Really though, if you read between the lines and remove all the politically correct mumbo jumbo, what I really meant to say was that I was extremely unhappy in my role and the overall culture at that company. After five years, it was time to regain control of my job satisfaction and move on. I should have done that a long time ago, but money, the prestige of the organization and position and lack of self dignity to put the balls back in my court clouded my judgment.

Despite being officially unemployed, it feels great. The freedom to be and do whatever I want is very empowering. Already, within a couple of days of putting my resume on Monster, I have had some bites and sparks of interest from head hunters and have landed myself a meeting with one tomorrow.

If there is only one thing I need to complain about being unemployed, it’s that holy mother of all things pitiful and lazy, I haven’t worked since April! APRIL! I am so out of the loop and so far out of the game that I’m not even sitting on the sidelines anymore. My business suits smell like moth balls, (but thank god they fit my expanded ass and non existent waist line). My mouth has become lazy and I say “like” like I’m a bouncy little teeny bopper and I need to like stop it because like, it’s so not business speak. I’ve become frumpy, slouchy, impassive and way too cutesy and squashy. To smooth over my rough edges I’m going to have to dig out my happy clam suit with its tough outer shell and big toothy fake grin to make it in the world of business again.

To top everything off, I feel about as graceful and eloquent as an elephant in my heels, skirt and suit. I’m praying that the business grooming fairy godmother visits me tonight and transforms my stuttering, raggedy self into a graceful swan with all those necessary qualities to own and interview and knock my future employer’s socks off. In the unfortunate event that she’s a no show, I’m banking on the idea that wearing a flirty skirt and showing some leg will help.

I want to make a career change. Of course, being a mom is my top priority, but that just isn’t an option right now. In the interim, I need to do something with my life, and that something involves moving away from web and database development. I want to focus more on the business system analyst role when it comes to technology driven solutions. My resume is all shiny and new and updated with enough spin on my past accomplishments to hopefully pull it off.

I have come up with a little mantra that I keep saying over and over in my head. I’m quite nervous about all the change in store for me, and I find repeating this little gem over and over again to be sort of comforting, in a strange and oddball sort of way.

May the powers that be make sure I don’t make a complete jackass of myself.
May the powers that be make sure I don’t make a complete jackass of myself.
May the powers that be make sure I don’t make a complete jackass of myself.

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


How could it possibly go wrong?
I've seen you in action even right now where you claim to be a stuttering. You're doing great and I'm so proud of you my sweetbaby.
Posted by Blogger Mark :  November 03, 2005
 

Don't sell yourself short. You're like, totally capable. :) Seriously, I wish you lots of luck, but I don't think you'll need it. You'll get into the swing of things and fit right in I'm sure.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  November 03, 2005
 

Karla,

I can say from the bottom of my heart that your enthusiasm will bring them knocking down YOUR door begging you to come and work for them! If they don't just know that they are idiots who don't realize a great asset to their establishment when she is looking them straight in the face, and go find someone who is more worthy of your time and effort!!

Best of wishes!
Posted by Blogger Alianora :  November 03, 2005
 

Good luck Karla, unknown territory but I'm sure it will be rewarding. I am tempted to do the same thing. My occupation is beginning to become a little to monotonous for my tastes.
^^ Spelled wrong I'm sure..
Posted by Blogger NegZero :  November 03, 2005
 

I'm not worried. I know you'll do magnificently. I totally feel you on the not working since April thing. I'm going to have to find a part-time job soon, and I'm scared to death. I don't even have clothes that fit anymore!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  November 03, 2005
 

Karla, I am with you on all of that. I also used to be employed by a fairly prestigios organization, and I stayed for much too long because I enjoyed the reaction from people when they found out where I worked. Now, that is a jackass for you.

As someone who used to hire people, all I can say is be yourself and you will do wonderfully! There is a lot to be said for having a job in which you are fairly happy to show up to every day. I have no doubt that they will see your intelligence and enthusiasm and you will be mulling over multiple job offers!

Signed,
Unemployed loser for almost three years.
Posted by Blogger Gina :  November 03, 2005
 

Wow thats awesome, I hope you get the job. I am sure you are more than qualified and above all I am sure you will be that graceful swan.
 

Good luck on the job hunt. I'd hire you if I had a job that was what you are looking for and I was the boss that hired people and such..
 

Ah..a new direction. Probably just what the Dr. ordered. You are going to do fabulous because you ARE fabulous!
Congrats on having the courage to seek a new journey....most would just stay and dwindle/shrivel up.
Posted by Blogger Dora :  November 07, 2005
 

Best of luck with your new endeavors, Karla! I'm sure you'll do just great!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 10, 2005
 

Hey, good luck! You're living my dream now, I'm in such a dead-end position right now. I love who I work with and what I do (most of the time) but just don't see a future.

And, you're going in the direction that appeals to me, although I have ZERO I.T. training/schooling. My BIL says I can get into a graduate program even though I had no undergrad focus.
Posted by Blogger Jim :  November 11, 2005
 

Welcome to the world of the unemployed. I'd like to say I know where you've been, but you have actual qualifications and prospects.
Posted by Blogger Kurt :  November 11, 2005
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Thursday, November 03, 2005




Recently
Friday, October 28, 2005
Friday, October 21, 2005
Monday, October 17, 2005
Friday, October 07, 2005
Thursday, October 06, 2005
Monday, October 03, 2005
Saturday, September 24, 2005
Friday, September 23, 2005
Friday, September 23, 2005
Friday, September 16, 2005