Character in Cats
by Karla ° Friday, December 2, 2005
My cats are quite the interesting bunch.

They fight and paw at each other like typical siblings on a mission for rivalry do, but always finish off their tiffs by lovingly cleaning each others behinds. It’s really quite endearing to see how much they take care of each other, and considering they are pushing 40 in human years, I really must applaud their rambunctious and carefree way of life. Despite their obesity, which I take full ownership of because I bride them with treats in exchange for cuddle time, they still love to charge through the house like evil invisible puppies are nipping at their ears and run up and down the stairs in a retarded frenzy like their tails are on fire. Of course, once they realize how goofy they are being, they stop mid rampage, flatten their ears against their head and while standing freakishly still, glare in my direction with wildly buggy eyes as if to lay the blame on me for their wackiness before casually sauntering off for a nap.

Yes, they enjoy life to the fullest and will stop at nothing to delight in the things that bring them pleasure, like scratching the carpet to a horrible shredded mess or shock us with out of the blue acts of foolish courage by taking a giant leap of faith onto a stove with burning elements to satisfy a need to sniff scrambling egg whites.

I used to find their pretentious ways and arrogance quite entertaining until they decided to put it all on full display (literally) and stopped covering their stinky poo with kitty litter. I can’t help but wonder if Ron Popeil’s “set it and forget it” tag line has been lost in translation while my cats eyed him cooking a rotisserie chicken and they understood “shit and forget it”. I knew the media could impression small minded brains, but really, my cats have now succeeded in driving all forms of human existence out of the room when they drop their kitty bombs and leave it on exhibit like that.

Despite their issues and superiority complex, I still treat them like royalty. From the moment they wake up in the morning, a human is there to serve their every needs, from providing delicious treats, fresh water, topping off the kibble bowl and even scooping up their by products left on display after their gallant acts of kibble eating gluttony. Frequent chin scratchings, belly rubs, toe nail clippings, kitty hockey games, cat-o-plane rides and dorky songs they don’t understand the words to add purpose and love to their tiny little cat hearts.

Actually, the thing that I am sure about my cats is that they really couldn’t care less about me. I’m just the human who happens to sit in the bathtub where the fascinating bubbles exist for swatting at, the human who hogs all the cozy blankets they like to sleep on and the human who has the opposable thumbs capable of dispensing their kibble and unlocking the mystery behind the treat bags. Despite their ignorance and inability to understand emotions, at least brains are smart enough to recognize the smell of the chick who keeps their bellies full and the treats free flowing. They’ve been snuggled up on my sweater all day and I can’t help but chuckle at the thought that somewhere, deep inside, an innate desire and connection is being make in their tiny little kitty brains that my sweater, coupled with the tantalizing aroma of yours truly, may perhaps magically translate into the eventuality a tasty kitty treat.




Maybe they are smarter than I give them credit for.
Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Cats! Don't you just love 'em? They don't live with us, they allow us to live with them, and honour us with a donation of fur if we leave an article of clothing on any flat surface.
Cute! Cute! Cute!
Posted by Blogger Cuppa :  December 02, 2005
 

Those two are a piece of work. I would love to see them in action it is probably a riot!

Havent heard from you in a while send me an email sometime. I was thinking about ya lately!
 

Cats are so cool in a way that dog lovers (critters that I also like btw) can never appreciate. The Rocks drives me crazy by always trying to sleep on my foot of the bed rather than Cuppa's. You see, I'm taller than she, and it just doesn't make sense. But last night, I when touched him firmly, but not unkindly, with my foot, I could feel his purr through my sole (or soul) and even up my leg. Those purrs are so disarming, so endearng.

I seem to notice that most cat people whom I meet in life and online are nice, gentle spirits, somehow different in temperament and sensibility than dog people — just differnt, that's all I'm saying, dog lovers. :)
 

For some reason, cats love me. I have nothing against them, except for the fact that I'm allergic and, of course, the fact that they cause schizophrenia.
Posted by Blogger Kurt :  December 02, 2005
 

Why, oh why must Trey be allergic to cats! I love cats so much!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  December 03, 2005
 

She feeds me, she cleans up after me, she gives me a home:
She must be God!
- Dogs

She feeds me, she cleans up after me, she gives me a home:
*I* must be God!
-Cats
Posted by Blogger methatiam :  December 03, 2005
 

That was really great. Glad they are there to light up your life.. Pets are insane sometimes, I really miss my ferrets after reading this post. :(
Posted by Blogger NegZero :  December 03, 2005
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Friday, December 02, 2005




Recently
Wednesday, November 30, 2005
Monday, November 14, 2005
Thursday, November 03, 2005
Friday, October 28, 2005
Friday, October 21, 2005
Monday, October 17, 2005
Friday, October 07, 2005
Thursday, October 06, 2005
Monday, October 03, 2005
Saturday, September 24, 2005