Of Burping and Fish Guts
by Karla ° Thursday, August 31, 2006
Because I am the self proclaimed pickiest vegetarian in the whole wide world, I have to be particularly diligent about cramming my body with all the right vitamins and minerals and sustenance and stuff that makes for a healthy baby. And some of the things I do kind of make me gag and gross me out, but I do it because when the day comes that little bubs starts gyrating in circles on my last nerve because he can’t have an ice cream cone covered in chocolate sprinkles, I’ll be able to tell him about a time when I would have preferred ice cream over vile fish guts burps.

I don’t eat fish. Never have, never will. But because it is such rich supply of Alpha-Linolic Acid (ALA). Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), better known as Omega 3 - the stuff that makes us smart, I take supplements (along with omega 6 and 9). And I gag each and every time I swallow the disgustingly huge horse pills filled with oils of fish.


I can’t help but wonder how one obtains said oil. Are the fish squeezed in some sort of vice like device, like an orange, expelling their brain building guts into little capsules? Or are they mashed and squished and squashed until there is nothing left of them but cranium enhancing spunk? And if I was brave enough to slice open a capsule for further inspection - would it stink as bad as my burps taste? These are the issues that wrack my brain while I plug my nose and force down my child’s free ride to discerning geniusville.

Then again, maybe all this gagging and choking down gray matter enhancing tablets is a nothing but gibbering yackety-yakiness. You would think with all the fish chum cruising around in my body I would be able to think of something more intelligent than festering over how scandalous a fish oil burp tastes.

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Ok, thank goodness I wasn't eating while reading this. ;)
Posted by Blogger Gina :  August 31, 2006
 

Have you ever considered working for a marketing company? Who could resisting buying a bottle of "squeezed fish guts"?
Posted by Blogger methatiam :  August 31, 2006
 

You crack me up!! I found your blog a while back and recently refound ya..I do have a way with words! Thanks for the laughs and Tears..I have shed a few reading bout your journey...for lack of a better word! Best wishes and I love the Belly shots..you small ladies make me giggle while with child..just tooo cute
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  August 31, 2006
 

I just read an article yesterday. In The Globe and Mail maybe? It was about the value of supplements especially formatted your women in your ah ahem um condition. Okay, I'm being silly. I don't really have a problem with saying pregnant. Anyway, you might want to try to track it down. It seemed to be based on good research if I recall.
Posted by Blogger Anvilcloud :  August 31, 2006
 

I think I'm going to be sick. You have my sympathy.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  August 31, 2006
 

I think they're made of fish. I take them too and they don't help me either.
Posted by Blogger Kurt :  August 31, 2006
 

I am reading while eating this...and it makes me so happy that I eat fish. I don't even burp up fish guts.

PS-I know there are some fish that have certain stuff in them you shouldn't have while pregnant. I'm quite sure you know already what these are, but just wanted to make sure you weren't taking pills w/that stuff in them.
Posted by Blogger Christi :  August 31, 2006
 

yer hilarious!
wow what a picky eater, i wouldn't want to invite you to a dinner party ha ha
i am having a hard time choking down those HUGE pink materna pills never mind fish guts
 

I tried all those supplements, and ended up with either diarrhea, constipation, or nausea. ick. I was lucky to choke down 2 Flintsone vitamins a day through most of my pregancy, just the smell of vitamins made me gag. I can't imagine the fish oil burps. The vitamin ones were bad enough. I feel for you.

I guess it is a good thing that just eating fish doesn't give me nasty burps, because I would never eat them if that happened.
Posted by Blogger Alyssa :  September 01, 2006
 

That just sounds nasty! I would rather eat the actual fish than the fish oil tablets!
 

Ah, I remember fish burps during pregnancy - blech! Thanks for the memories :)
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  September 04, 2006
 

Yuck!

Not sure how you take pills, babe... but I've learned a new method:

Fill your mouth with water (don't swallow!). Then put the pill in your liquid flooded mouth, and swallow. I rarely taste the pill I'm swallowing when I do it that way.

Love ya. Glad to see things are going well. :)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  September 07, 2006
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Thursday, August 31, 2006




Recently
Sunday, August 27, 2006
Thursday, August 24, 2006
Monday, August 21, 2006
Friday, August 18, 2006
Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Sunday, August 13, 2006
Friday, August 11, 2006
Thursday, August 10, 2006
Friday, August 04, 2006
Thursday, August 03, 2006