Panic
by Karla ° Friday, August 18, 2006

I’m a total Type A personality, so I really shouldn’t feel so shocked that the symptoms I have been feeling lately were diagnosed as panic attacks, but I am. For the first time in my life I feel like I am spinning out of control over something I have so little control over.

I never would have guessed I was having panic attacks. It didn't even occur to me and since I've never experienced anything like that before, didn't even know what it would feel like. I honestly thought that feeling faint, dizzy and shaky and like my heart is about to rip out of my chest while a lead weight crushed my lungs was my body’s way of telling me to eat eat eat, because it sort of does feel like intense hunger after a four day fast. If it wasn’t that, I thought maybe my iron levels were a tad low or that my already low blood pressure had dipped even lower than my regular 95/55 range. I never would have guessed that I might be experiencing anxiety in levels high enough to impact my body physically - I’m just so used to the emotional impact of this pregnancy. I guess my brain has decided to escalate things enough to let me know that I am more afraid that I am letting myself believe. Maybe I'm not doing a very good job communicating how I'm feeling.

I’ve been trying hard to keep my emotions in check, partly for my own peace of mind, but mostly for this darling little baby I’m carrying. It probably doesn’t help that the insane levels of hormones coursing through my body right now are probably the main culprit in my inability to settle my raging thoughts and feelings. It’s mind boggling to think that the amount of estrogen a pregnant woman’s body creates in one single a day is equivalent to that generated by a non-pregnant woman’s ovaries in three years. I can’t put all the blame on the hormones though. This pregnancy is making me face a lot of emotional baggage still lingering from Ava’s delivery and passing. Truth be told though, it’s so all-encompassing and intense and it’s hard to think about it without feeling the waves of panic taking over. I feel stuck between a rock and hard place. If I think about it, I'm fucked, and if I don't think about it, I'm fucked.

To cope, I read. But I have such a short attention span these days that I can’t even make it though an entire book. I have 19 items checked out of the library, and I barely make it past a few pages in a book before I catch my brain wandering and pondering the life in my stomach and hoping beyond all hope he survives.

I also cope by eating giant helpings of Rice Krispie squares while super-glueing my ass to the sofa so I can mindlessly entertain my brain while watching Big Brother All Stars and Rock Star Supernova because the pop tarts on Canadian Idol bore the crap out me.

At least thinking about how much I hate pop music distracts me long enough to forget that my placenta is covering my cervix and my perinatologist recommended a hot and heavy routine of no-sex because even though my placenta will probably migrate northwards and there is no need for concern right now, I *could* experience bleeding from it’s current position and I think if I did, I might just become delusional enough to appreciate what the big deal is with American and Canadian Idol.

And that makes me panic even more.

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Oh Panic Attacks I had them last year when I was having a lot of trouble in my marriage they are horrible.

Hang in there Karla I cant wait till this wild ride is over and your sweet healthy boy is at home in your arms!
 

I panic thinking about you and the baby and I haven't never even met you. So I can't IMAGINE what it must be like to actually seeing this pregnancy through. I know it will be fine.
Posted by Blogger dawnatello :  August 18, 2006
 

What's the deal with Zayra Alvarez? She creeps me out.
Posted by Blogger Kurt :  August 18, 2006
 

I can't even pretend to know what you are going through. There are A LOT of people hoping for the best for you Karla. It will be here before you know it and I am really rooting for nothing but the BEST!!
Posted by Blogger Donna :  August 18, 2006
 

Maybe you just need a flock of geese to keep you company. The constant quacking and pooping and feeding would take your mind off things.
I think pregnant women may have used geese in this way in pioneer times to control panic attacks although there is no historical evidence to back up my theory. Not yet anyways.
But I remain hopeful for a historical breakthrough..
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  August 19, 2006
 

Do you knit or crochet? I believe this must have been what kept the mom's that have gone before us sane.

Panit attacks are so REAL. Yours are the result of life altering trauma. I'd be more surprised if you DIDN'T get them.

Please soak yourself in all things peaceful. It helps. Some.
Posted by Blogger Judy :  August 19, 2006
 

Hey, I think that while I was pregnant w/Taryn I was having panic attacks. I told my midwife about it, and they said it was nothing. Maybe I'm glad I have a dr. now. Thanks for the heads up...of course I don't have them anymore!

I totally feel your pain, though. My body and brain are going through so much I don't know what lately, that sometimes it's just easier to eat and watch tv and veg out. I guess I don't completely feel your pain, though, b/c I'm not high-risk like you. I just know everything will work out in the end, though.
Posted by Blogger Christi :  August 21, 2006
 

I had panic attacks for a while after Makily. They slowly went away over time but I remember feeling like an elephant was sitting on my chest, my heart would pound and I coulndt catch my breath. It's a HORRIBLE feeling.

Eat your fill of Rice Krispy squares...that little baby bean in there must enjoy them! Hoping that placenta moves up and you can relax a little more.
Posted by Blogger Patyrish :  August 21, 2006
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Friday, August 18, 2006




Recently
Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Sunday, August 13, 2006
Friday, August 11, 2006
Thursday, August 10, 2006
Friday, August 04, 2006
Thursday, August 03, 2006
Wednesday, July 26, 2006
Monday, July 24, 2006
Thursday, July 13, 2006
Monday, July 10, 2006