McGramma's in the House
by Karla ° Sunday, January 14, 2007
My nipples feel much better now thank you. Not perfect, but at least I’m not on the verge of wishing they would fall off of my body and die a quick and painless death by means of atrophying on the floor by my feet.

The strain of sitting in a cushioned rocking chair for hours and hours and endless hours of nursing, cuddling and shooshing has started to eat away at my adult brain - just a little. Don’t get me wrong, watching Nate suck his fingers (the poor kid was born with a blister from sucking his hand so much in-utero) and studying my face with the most studious intent a newborn can muster is unbelievably wondrous and super rad, but I am human and I like to be stimulated, by you know, stuff other than milky spit up and kid farts.

I was just itching to get out of the house yesterday because, good gravy miss daisy, I actually had a shower, and curled my lashes, and put on expensive mascara. It would have been a crying shame to let those precious three minutes of primping go to waste.

And so my big Saturday night out was a trip to the corner store with a husband and a baby in tow. The ride out of the driveway and up the hill and around the corner was glorious and liberating, even if it was only to bat my lashes at some bored high school kid while he rang up a bag of Doritos.

Today, my mom arrived to help change poopy diapers, provide adult conversation during the daylight hours when Dad is at work and cook meals more complex than a bowl of cereal.

Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Yay for grandparents - most of the time anyway! ;)
Posted by Blogger Robyn :  January 14, 2007
 

I think it sounds absolutely blissful. :)
Posted by Blogger Me :  January 14, 2007
 

i am glad your mom is there to help and just plain hang out with ya.
 

Honey even if you curl your eyelashes just for you it is still totally worth it to feel HOT! even if its only for 43 seconds. Again Nater is sooooooooo cute!
 

That is wonderful that your mom is there to help you out. As for the adult conversation I totally know what you mean! I wish I had more of it myself!! Enjoy the time you get to spend with your mom! Hugs!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 14, 2007
 

Yeah, I can vouch for the adult conversation. It's totally a necessity.
Posted by Blogger Jules :  January 14, 2007
 

Having my mom around when we came home from the hospital was a godsend...enjoy the help and the loving arms and support. You've earned it. :)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 14, 2007
 

My nipples feel much better now thank you.

Ah, the internet brings me so much information. :)
Posted by Blogger Anvilcloud :  January 14, 2007
 

I don't know how you do it. With all three of my kids, we were out running the streets w/in three days of their births! I couldn't sit in the house...it made me insane!

My mom told me she was reading your blog, and a: said I had thrush when I was a baby, and she had to use that purple stuff (so Nate and I have more in common than I thought!), and b: I am not to read your blog anymore if it conjures up the urge to have more babies....which means, technically, I shouldn't even be here right now!

Oh, and if you're not completely aversive to it, you could give him a pacifier. Cole always tries to suck his hands, but can't quite seem to get them to stay put in his mouth. He is so happy when I put a pacifier in there and save him the trouble of trying to catch himself!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  January 15, 2007
 

Hope you enjoy your mom's visit! I'm sure she'll enjoy herself immensly! Grandparents are such a blessing to have around!
Posted by Blogger Amber :  January 15, 2007
 

I loved Gramma so much I moved in with her the first year of Tyler's life! :)

Grandparents really are a blessing, I don't know what I would do without Sharon...

I hope you have a wonderful day with Gramma!
Posted by Blogger Melanie :  January 15, 2007
 

Being at home alone with a newborn can definitely feel isolating, so I am glad Grandma is there to help!
Posted by Blogger Gina :  January 15, 2007
 

it's amazing how going to the corner store can be such a wonderful outing
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  January 15, 2007
 

Oh oh oh. I've missed so much on my little injury-imposed blogging hiatus. I remember those endless nursing days and triumphant outings to the corner store. I feel you and so glad grandma is in the house to lend a hand.

Sending big hugs your way.
Posted by Blogger Sandra :  January 15, 2007
 

It's only about 6 years until you can go out again. Once they are in school or something, ha,ha..
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 15, 2007
 

Mommies rule.... especially when they turn into Gramma's!

Glad to hear everyone is doing well!
Posted by Blogger Mandi :  January 16, 2007
 

There is absolutely nothing I can add to this conversation, so let me just say hi.

"Hi!"
Posted by Blogger methatiam :  January 16, 2007
 

You're bringing back memories of grocery shopping and doctor's visits being big outings. It makes me want another baby and it make me want to hurry Richard along the vasectomy he's supposedly getting all at the same time.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  January 18, 2007
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Sunday, January 14, 2007




Recently
Thursday, January 11, 2007
Thursday, January 11, 2007
Monday, January 08, 2007
Friday, January 05, 2007
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Saturday, December 30, 2006
Friday, December 29, 2006
Wednesday, December 27, 2006
Sunday, December 24, 2006
Friday, December 22, 2006