Lucky
by Karla ° Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Sometimes I catch myself wondering where I would be today if I hadn't walked away from a career in the corporate world. I left my job as a Database Analyst/Web Developer on the 30th floor of a downtown Toronto corporate high-rise after Ava died and I’d be lying if I said I don’t miss it all just a tiny bit. The adult interaction, tailored clothes, the annoying co-worker who put all his self worth in Gucci pants and his Mercedes, the money, oh how could I not miss that extra cash flow.

But then I try and imagine going back to that life and spending three hours a day commuting to and from this suburban bedroom community while managing life with a toddler at the same time. And I can’t. I can’t even fathom that. Seriously, props to all of the career Moms out there. I don’t know how you manage it all, I really don’t.

But you know that old adage that says necessity is the mother of invention? It’s so true. Life as a Stay-at-Home Mom has not only let me to be at home with my son, it has also allowed me to pursue other creative endeavors to help pay the bills.

In addition the occasional freelance writing gig, I started Karla Cadeau Photography, a new photography business this summer and I can't even begin to explain how thrilling and fulfilling it is to run two small businesses doing the things that I am passionate about while staying home with my son the majority of the week. This is an absolute dream and man, I kind of hate to call myself lucky knowing what this family has endured, but you know? I am. I really am. I may not be sipping $11 glasses of wine anymore, but I’m doing what I love, I’m home with my son, and I have a tremendously supportive husband. I’d say that’s pretty lucky, right?

If I wasn’t already married and in love, then I’d so totally want to hook up with the woman who has helped make this new photography venture a possibility. Angie, a photojournalist and professional photographer, took me under her wing and where I once just sort of chirped around and clicked my camera buttons aimlessly, she taught me how to fly. Figurative speaking, I mean. Not that I wouldn’t put it past her to actually know how to fly because this woman has opened up a whole new world of opportunity for me, and she did it all with a wicked sense of humour while keeping it all super straightforward, entertaining, fun, and most importantly, simple.

And the best part? Angie is here to share her expertise so that you too can totally take your pictures to that next level of WOW. And who can argue with wanting to forever still and illuminate your most cherished memories from behind the time-freezing optics of a digital lens?

I’ve added her brand spanking new website to the Untangled by Others menu at the top of this site. Feel free to wander over and say Hi! I hope you enjoy her writing and find as much inspiration from her photos as I do. Oh, and you so need to keep an eye out for her upcoming contest giveaway. It's going to be a lot of fun.

No warranties are being made however, that her professional knowledge won’t totally convince you to sell both of your kidneys to afford new camera gear. Not that I’m speaking from experience or anything.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Oops. I forgot to shamelessly self promote the prints I have for sale. Anyone interested in feeding my shameless ego can view and purchase prints in the size of your choice from the Gallery section called Art Prints on Karla Cadeau Photography. I picked a handful of my personal favourites. Most of these are framed throughout my home.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Has anyone told you how awesome you are today?

If I'm in Canada, I'm totally paying you to take pictures of me and whoever's with me.

Are you selling any prints of photos you've taken of landscape stuff?

Anyway. You're the best. Keep up the good work. :)
Posted by Blogger Alison :  October 15, 2008
 

Karla,
Could you tell me what kind of camera you use? Or could you suggest a good one to purchase? I have a really old digital camera(probably one of the originals!) and want to invest in a new one, but there are just so many to choose from!
Thanks!
l,
Amanda x
(I'm so pround that you have followed your dreams!, keep up the good work!)
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  October 16, 2008
 

Oh Alison. You make me blush. I just updated my post. Thanks for the reminder! I do sell prints. All sales are handled from the Art Prints gallery on my photography website (through paypal).

Hi Amanda. It is overwhelming isn't it? Trying to pick a camera? Personally, I'm a huge fan of Canon. All of our digital imaging equipment is 100% Canon. They make an amazing point and shoot around the $500 range called the G9. If you have deeper pockets, I can't recommend a camera from the DSRL rebel series enough. Buying gently used may be something to consider as well. If you don't mind, I'd love to direct this question to Angie also. She'll be able to answer it far better than I can.
Posted by Blogger karla :  October 16, 2008
 

Do you ship outside Canada? :) I love one with the hillside with the windmill. So gorgeous. So buying it.

Hey, it's almost been a year since I started reading your blog. Happy Anniversary, darling, hehehe ;)
Posted by Blogger Alison :  October 16, 2008
 

I am totally going to book you when I have some money in the bank to take some decent family pics...
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 16, 2008
 

I'm wondering if I'm the only person who can't see the website... I see something blue flying around for a minute, and then it disappears and I'm left with a white screen and music. So sad! I was really looking forward to seeing it!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 16, 2008
 

Hi Alison. You've totally made my day. THANK YOU! Of course I can ship outside of Canada :) Shoot me an email and we can work it all out.

Miss Emily. Oh NO! Hmmm. I know the website is built entirely in flash. Do you have flash installed on your computer?
Posted by Blogger karla :  October 16, 2008
 

Oh Karla ~ I just love your website and your photos are so gorgeous ~ there are a few I love ~ there is one of the waterfalls that I totally love ~ you will have to let me know whether you could send to the UK ~ as I would love that on my wall!!
I am hoping to get the Canon EOS ~ which I think is what they call a Rebel over here ~ at Christmas ~ hopefully santa will be kind to me ha ha !!
Well done on you for following your dreams.
Love and hugs XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Posted by Blogger Tabitha :  October 16, 2008
 

oh, I want a camera for Christmas.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  October 16, 2008
 

Good for you Karla. You're photos are always stunning.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 16, 2008
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Wednesday, October 15, 2008




Recently
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Monday, October 13, 2008
Thursday, October 09, 2008
Tuesday, October 07, 2008
Monday, October 06, 2008
Saturday, October 04, 2008
Wednesday, October 01, 2008
Friday, September 26, 2008
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Monday, September 22, 2008