A plea for advice
by Karla ° Friday, January 6, 2006

Dear Bloggers

I desperately need some feedback. My husband and I have been diligently searching for a puppy to adopt and bring home. I have been monitoring and calling pretty much every humane society and shelter within a three hours driving range to no avail.

Before anyone criticizes me about wanting a puppy and not a dog, please hear me out. My heart just breaks for all those adult dogs in shelters. I’ve wept daily seeing their sad faces staring at me on my screen. I’m the type of person that can’t watch a movie where an animal gets hurts without bawling for a week. Perhaps it’s a bit of selfishness, but we really want to be able to train and rear a puppy to be a part of our family from a young age. As a child, we adopted an adult dog and of course, her personality. We never did fully bond because she was set in her ways of standoffishness that ultimately resulted from a life of neglect and abuse. I know this isn’t always the case, but our mind is made up, we would rather have the opportunity to train and work with a puppy to build a strong bond from as early on in their life as possible.


Furthermore, we really didn’t go into this with any inclination to adopt a purebred. We just really wanted a furry companion who needed a home. The larger the dog the better.

Back to my point. I noticed an add for a Siberian Husky. I also noticed she was far away. Like a five hour drive. (For those map savvy Canadians, Tobermory Ontario is far far away). Anyhow, something prompted me to make the call. I ended up talking with this lovely old man who breeds these dogs with so much love and integrity. He talked my ear for an hour telling me all about the breed, how they are raised, their family bloodline etc. He had an honestly and genuineness about him that made feel instantly connected.

After researching this breed and many others, I have so many reservations now. The Siberian Husky can never be off their lead. Their strong desire to run is far too overpowering. From what I understand, all loyalty gets pushed aside if they escape from their lead, and as a hound dog owner, know the devastation that can result. I lost two hound dogs to car accidents as a child. It broke my heart, but at least the first hound was saved from her abusive owners. Also, huskies like to dig and chase things. My cats aren’t exactly well socialized, and hate everyone but my husband and myself. They need a dog who won't eat them or terrorize every waking moment of their life.

Upon checking out other breed and or breed mixes (we were thinking Labrador Retreiver, Collie, Golden Retriever, German Shepherd, Newfoundland Dog), we came to the quick realization that some of the more typical “All American Family” dogs aren’t so much so anymore. Cross breeding and misbreeding has, from what I understand, changed a lot of their tempermant and the typical summary chart for a breed doesn’t always apply anymore.

Yes, too much information can be a bad thing (I feel like it's working against me with this decision). I realize that at the end of the day, with patience, proper training and lots of love, any breed can fit well into a family, but I want to ensure I am making a well informed decision. My DNA is hardwired with anal tendencies. I cant help it.

My plea to you dear bloggers, is feedback on dog breeds that work well in suburbia, get along with cats, and most importantly, with children. If you can help in any way with personal feedback about your experience with larger dogs, that would be most appreciated.

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


wow this is my week of first time comments..*lol* i have five kids...we live in the burbs as well and we had a Chocolate Lab named Reese...as in peanut butter cup..*lol*. Best thing we ever did..not only loyal but well behaved and got along really great with the cats. (it had a lot to do with the breeder for sure but i live in ottawa and thats quite a haul for you guys! lol) if i had to recommend a breed it'd be that one for sure hands down. we just lost him recently to cancer and it was devistating...but when the time is right...and the kids have healed we'll probably get another.
i have a friend who recently got a huskie and while its not a bad dog...the flight instinct is insane..i cant tell you how many times she's chased that dog down or had it get out due to digging under her fence. my best advice...find a few breeders and check them out...you'll know whats right for you! :)
Posted by Blogger Wynter :  January 06, 2006
 

We have a boxer and he is great with our family. A little hyper with strangers but that is trainable. Boxers are loving and sweet.

Labs are also great family pets.
 

My last dog was an old english sheepdog. It was the most lovable and loving dog I have ever owned. And with regular hair cuts and grooming she really wasn't that messy looking.
Labs are also very good dogs.
I think that since you have cats that a puppy is a good choice. It will grow up used to being around the cats..
 

We have had a german shorthaired pointer for almost 5 years now. We also just recently had a baby and we were really afraid of how he would accept the baby because he is spoiled rotten. Well, he has been amazing. Of course he has gotten a lot less attention but he takes it all in stride and now tries to cuddle with the baby.

I would highly recommend this breed but would suggest that you just make sure you show them you're the boss from the start and all will be fine.

Good luck!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 06, 2006
 

Labs are great family dogs. I have had my black lab for 12 years and she is the sweetest, most fun dog. My niece is 14 months and can't get enough of the dog. She hugs, tugs, lays on, pats, investigates this dog to no end and the lab has never once showed any signs of complaint. She is the only dog the parents allow my niece to really play with at such a young age.

Long story short, I highly recommned a lab to fit all your wants!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 06, 2006
 

My husband and I have three labs, a yellow and two black. I love these little monsters of mine, they are loyal and loving and always happy to see you. Only drawback we have is the digging and making a mess sometimes, but that's our fault. :)

BUT, and while I have never been a fan of chihuahuas, one happened to walk in our front door (no, really) the day after christmas, and decided to call us home. Man, is she the best ever. She cuddles, steers clear of the cat and loves to play and please us.

Good luck finding a pet.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 06, 2006
 

Labs are great, I think it is hard to go wrong with one, although my aunt's two lab puppies have been quite a handful for her lately.

But, if I could pick any dog I wanted for a large breed, it would be the Bernese Mountain Dog.

A while ago I took Mr. Personality to the playground, and I was more than a bit apprehensive when this huuge dog came bounding onto it. But, I took the time to go over to the dog and its "mommy" and the dog just blew me away!

It allowed all of the children on the playground to pet and tug its fur, with not even a slight hint of annoyance. In fact, he seemed to just love the attention. And the reason he had run on to the playground? Why to join his family, of course, he couldn't let them have fun without him!

He was just gorgeous, one of the sweetest dogs I have ever encountered. His mommy said he was fairly easy to train, and indeed he did not move when she asked him to stay, even with all the children around him. I mean, there must have been at least 10 of us fawning over him.

If I could fit a large breed in here, and would not be almost a bit afraid of the ginormous poops that must emanate from such a creature, I would have gone to the pet store that afternoon and bought one.

Here's an link to copy to check out some more information on the breed:

http://www.bmdca.org/
Posted by Blogger Gina :  January 06, 2006
 

We have a Golden Retriever and he is the best thing that could have happened to us. He is So smart, playful, great with kids and other small pets (he regularly plays with 2 minuature daschunds - they're about 8 pounds and he's 95+).
The best advise is to do your homework, if you are going via a breeder, check them out - go and visit, play with the puppies - you will know if it is right. We checked around before getting our puppy - went to a few places that just didn't feel 'right'- not a clean environment, not very knowledgeable, etc. When we found our breeder we knew it was the right fit - we picked out our puppy when he was 10 days old and we had an open invitation to visit as much as we would like until it was time to take him home. We went out every weekend and spent at least an hour playing (with all of the puppies) and bonding. The dogs were truely loved and we knew that it was the perfect match.
http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=162003

Good Luck!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 06, 2006
 

No flames about wanting a puppy here. I had a brother and sister pair that were half husky. I loved them. They were great dogs. But... you are right that they want to escape. The male was incredibly smart, almost human like. I had to give them away because we tried everything, to keep them in the large, nice yard, and they would not stay in. I even dug under the fence, and added chicken wire underground. They just dug deeper. They would dig tunnels so deep that you couldn't see them without climbing in. I hated giving them away because I loved them so much, but I couldn't handle it.

Labs and retrievers are great. They are smart, have a lot of energy, and are lots of fun.

Puppy had a little boxer in him, and I've heard they are wonderful family dogs. Puppy was dumb, but obedient. In a dog, that's a good quality. You could leave the gate wide open, and if he did leave, he just wandered to the front door and waited for you to open it. He was incredibly good with children. Honestly, he was more patient and kind than I am. When he was about 7 years old we got a cat. We had to give it away when I realized it was making me wheeze. Puppy was so good with that cat you just wouldn't believe it. He would lay on his back, while the kitten attacked his face over and over. It would sometimes get its claw stuck on his lip, so when Puppy stood up, it would hang there mewing for help. Other good qualities about the boxer: short, easy to care for fur; beautiful, muscular appearance that is scary to intruders.

If I were picking a breed, I would go with labs, retrievers, or boxers.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  January 06, 2006
 

I've had 4 labs in my lifetime and couldn't recommend a better dog for a family. They are loyal, trainable, love the water, mine got along with the cats too.

We use to have a pig roast every year (when I lived on East coast and was married) and our Lab - harley - was friendly with all the 100+ guests that came - he loved the kids the most cause they'd let him off his leash and he'd run and play with them till the kids were worn out.

He and the cat would lay on the floor together snoozing, it was priceless!
 

My sister is a vet, and she tells me that because of all the inbreeding, purebreds are stupid. Go with a mutt every time.
Posted by Blogger Kurt :  January 06, 2006
 

I've heard that too, Kurt.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  January 06, 2006
 

My neighbors have two beautiful huskies, a red one and a black and white one. They are really good with the kids (3 year old and 2 month old)and seem to be good with their cats. The big problem they have with them is that they will run and not look back. If they see a door ajar they will do all they can to get out and run like the wind. Last time my friend had to recruit the entire culdesac to help hunt them down. You would most certainly need a fence and my friends also had to put in an underground electric dog fence under the wood fence to keep the dogs from digging. These are well trained and loved dogs, my friend takes them to the office with her everyday, so I think it is just the nature of the breed. I have always heard that Golden Retrievers are good with kids.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 06, 2006
 

Chocolate Labs are my favorite. When my children were going up we had a lab named Morty. She nurtured my children, loved kittens (as long as they were hers) and she protected me from danger. We've had many labs since and they are loyal, loving, and trustworthy with children. AND, if you get a kitten and introduce it to your lab... the females parent the kitten as if it were her own. Males tolerate them. More info than you wanted I'm sure... btw--- Morty was given to us when she was 3 years old she lived another 9 years.
 

Hey Karla! I adopted my chocolate lab when she was 2 years old. She was neglected, overfed, and underwalked. Adopting her was the best thing I ever did. She has lost about 20 pounds and has fully adapted to her new owners. She is loyal and so gentle with kids. She pretty much ignores cats as she likes to be the center of attention. Good luck with your search!
Stacy
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 08, 2006
 

Hi there!!

I had a dog when I was a kid named Bear. He was part yellow lab, part german shepherd, and part chow chow. What a smart, loving, and wonderful pet he was!! I have the fondest memories growing up with that dog, and he loved our cats. I can't tell you how many times I would go outside and see him snuggled up with the cat, and most of the time, he would lay on his side, and the cat would climb right up on him, lay down, and go to sleep. He was also VERY protective of my sisters and I.
He lived to be 16 years old, and was sweet until the day he passed away. Good luck finding a nice dog!! I guess my reccomendation is to get a mutt!! :)
Posted by Blogger Alyssa :  January 09, 2006
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Friday, January 06, 2006




Recently
Wednesday, January 04, 2006
Wednesday, December 21, 2005
Friday, December 09, 2005
Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Friday, December 02, 2005
Wednesday, November 30, 2005
Monday, November 14, 2005
Thursday, November 03, 2005
Friday, October 28, 2005
Friday, October 21, 2005