Labour
by Karla ° Saturday, November 18, 2006
The labour I experienced with Ava was a far cry from any of the fluff described in the abundance of happy go lucky Disney-like pregnancy books on the market. Even the all knowing omnipotent searches of Google failed to turn up any results that are comparable to my experience with childbirth. Perhaps I was in complete denial, or maybe I have a high tolerance for pain, or it’s even quite possible that I am a complete flake, but with Ava, I didn’t believe I was in labour when I arrived at the hospital 5 cm dilated.

In any case, labour with her began very subtly and if I had to describe the early onset, the best description I can come up with would be a twinge near my cervix – hardly a blip on the pregnancy radar screen as far as scream worthy pain was concerned. The twinges were so painless in fact, that I thought I might have finally been experiencing those elusive Braxton Hicks contractions I had heard so much about but never seemed to notice.

Although the twinges only lasted a couple of seconds, they were stubbornly consistent right from the start and came every 4 or 5 minutes. After about three hours of completely painless twinges, everything took a dramatic turn and without much warning I was in full blown active labor with contractions happening about every 1-2 minutes apart and lasting about a minute long. It is because of the precipitous nature of that labour, coupled with the autopsy results indicating a structural defect in Ava’s heart that I am avoiding labour this time to prevent the uncertainty around a fast labour impacting this baby in the same way.

This of course, seemed like a simple enough plan. That is until I woke up Friday morning with a familiar sensation in my va jay jay that caused my heart to beat in irregular spasms of nervous energy. I was feeling the same twinge-like sensations that signaled the beginning stages of labour as I experienced them with Ava. Timing them also revealed they were happening every 4 to 5 minutes. Other notable symptoms that mimicked my first labour were crampy legs, loose bowels and waking up in the middle of night because peaceful sleepy solace could not be found in my aching discomfort.

Just as luck would have it, all of this started happening during rush hour and we were looking at about a two hour drive to get downtown Toronto to the high risk hospital where I’m supposed to have my c-section. Concerned about the baby, and a repeat experience of Ava’s labour, Mark and I took a leap of faith and headed straight to the labour and delivery triage in Ajax.

With an unsteady voice I tried to explain why I thought I might be in labour. I must have sounded obscure and slightly retarded because a) I have been through labour before, I should know what it feels like and b) who in their right mind rushes off to triage to complain about a tickle on their cervix? Eyes widened and haste set in however when the words “dead baby” and “same labour presentation” came out of my mouth. I was immediately whisked into a labour room and hooked up for monitoring. At this point, my cervical twitches were still coming like clockwork every five minutes and lasting a few seconds long.

I was hooked up to a Non Stress Test machine while a woman next door screamed through a drug free childbirth and a nurse poured through the short novel of documents I carry with me about Ava’s history, her autopsy and all of my current pregnancy records.

After enduring two internal exams in the span of four hours, my cervix remained tight and closed despite the continual twinges in my va jay jay clearly registering on the NST printouts.

They never were able to definitively tell if it was just Braxton Hicks contractions, but I was finally sent home with instructions to continue timing my supposed contractions and given strict orders of no sex that includes semen and to stop caring about the state of my cantilever ass cleavage and cease all marathon workout sessions on the treadmill.

At least this was a wake up call to get organized. We are absolutely not prepared for this baby. Our camera’s aren’t charged, my bags aren’t packed, we have no diapers or clothes packed for the baby and our bad habit of leaving our car run on gas fumes must cease and desist.

I am now left feeling like a fool for rushing off to the hospital so early, but on the other hand, I don’t have the luxury of waiting around to see if any sort of contractions I feel intensify or if I am truly in labour.

I have a feeling this won’t be the last drama mine I let explode into a frenzied visit to the hospital before this pregnancy is over.

Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


I know it must be so nerve wracking and exciting for you at the same time!Everything will be ok. Don't worry.
But for the love of Bob and all things good and lovely, get your poop together! (No pun intended :)) Camera's do not go uncharged when a baby's on the way!!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 18, 2006
 

If it makes you feel any better, this was my third child, and when I went into labor, I was very unsure and had no idea what to expect. I was pretty embarrassed that after having already had two kids w/o c-sections that I had no idea what it was like to go into labor or for your water to break!

This story did get me a little excited, though. I was so hoping it was being written from a hospital bed where you were in labor!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  November 19, 2006
 

Christi's comment made me laugh. I can just picture you typing away while in full labor, ha,ha.."Well that contraction just stopped. Oh, %$#@@^! here comes anot#!$%$!..Oh %!%!%!,@@^^@,...%!!%%%#!%.."

Glad this was a false alarm. Get some gas in the car for goodness sake..
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 19, 2006
 

When Julie was born, it was very similar. I thought for sure it was ridiculous to go to the hospital when I was feeling what I was sure were just Braxton Hicks. Before we left, I told my sister "we'll be back in a couple of hours, because this is NOT labour."

An hour and a half later, my husband phoned my sister and said "guess what. another girl."

So... you never know what might happen, and when you feel something, you have to take it seriously.
 

I would prefer that Nate stay in there just a few more weeks!

They told me a few days before my C-section that I was having contractions, and I had felt nothing. In fact I was a mess, because I was terrified that I would start labor before the C and for Mr. P in a breech position, the cord could have slipped out and it just would have been bad.

Don't ever feel bad about going to the hospital if you think youi need to. Better to do it and have everything be fine. You can never have too many reassurances.

Get your preparations in order, but don't get stresed and panicked about it either.
Posted by Blogger Gina :  November 19, 2006
 

You're not a fool. My labor was very subtle in the beginning both times also, so I could see why you might think this was it. Knowing your history, I imagine the nurses were very sympathetic to your concerns.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  November 19, 2006
 

Better safe then sorry and you are no fool for rushing to the hospital.
Hang in there. Every prengnancy is different so it's so hard to know what is right.

Girl, I hope after writing this post that you went off to get your stuff together. I want to see lots of pictures and video of Nate. So start charging those cameras and get your bags packed.
Posted by Blogger Tammy :  November 19, 2006
 

Hey. I was so expecting my second delivery to kind of follow the first based on what my doctor said that I didn't trust anything that was different from the first...so yes, I was in labor, even when I thought I was a ways off. You, sweet mama, must trust your instinct. Always. Forever forward listen to it even if it means sharing a blog entry down the line that recounts the hilarity of going to the hospital for something and having it turn out to be gas, ink on skin or whatever the hell else. You are the only one looking out for you and your family, it's the medical profession's job to help you whether you are gravely ill or comedically off base.
Cheers to you and yours.
Posted by Blogger Amanda :  November 19, 2006
 

better to be on the safe side of things :) thinking and praying for you, mark and nate as always :)
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  November 19, 2006
 

This entire post gave me chills (as many of your blog entires do!). I do not blame you one bit for going and had you not gone in I would have been concerned. It's better to be safe than sorry and if you are having those "twinges" that regularly I think Nate may be coming soon.

My labor was a slooooow 2 days but my contractions at first also did not convince me that I was truly in labor. I had to ask the nurse if the monitor was picking up contractions...it wasnt until she said "yes every 3 minutes" that I realized this was it.

Continually praying for your family and the safe arrival of sweet little Nate!
Posted by Blogger Patyrish :  November 19, 2006
 

I agree better safe then sorry. You did the right thing, even if you do feel silly about it! I am sure I would of done the very same thing! Thinking about you as always!! Now go pack your bags and charge those batteries!! Hugs to you!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 19, 2006
 

I am so glad to hear that everything is okay!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 19, 2006
 

Don't feel dumb, you go to the hospital no matter what. Better to be safe than sorry!

Can't wait for the real news, praying lots!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 20, 2006
 

It is completely normal for you to feel anxious and worried. Be as dramatic as you need to be. If it takes you another 20 precautions trips to the hospital, then so be it!

Soon that little baby boy will be here...safe and sound in your arms!
Posted by Blogger Melanie :  November 20, 2006
 

GAK! Sorry about the efforts and traumas.
When in doubt, go. It's better to go a hundred times and be wrong than to not go the time you're right (OK, I'll have to work on that sentence).
Take care – you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.
Posted by Blogger methatiam :  November 20, 2006
 

Good for you for not taking any chances. I would have totally done the same thing. :)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 20, 2006
 

i agree better safe than sorry. i hope it goiong well i have been checking veryday on your progress and have only the most positive thoughts to send your way
 

You are no fool. I would have done exactly the same thing and I hope you have the good sense to go to the hospital again if you feel the need to. Good luck!
Posted by Blogger Linda :  November 21, 2006
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Saturday, November 18, 2006




Recently
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Saturday, November 11, 2006
Friday, November 10, 2006
Thursday, November 09, 2006
Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Thursday, November 02, 2006
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Sunday, October 29, 2006
Friday, October 27, 2006