My Little Brother
by Karla ° Tuesday, May 24, 2005
I find that statement to be rather amusing. My “little” brother is actually quite a bit bigger than me. He is almost a foot taller and about 100lbs heavier. Little is hardly the right word to describe him. However, since big brother would suggest he is actually older than me, I will simply refer to him as Bro.

When he was much younger, (and smaller) I used to pick on him something fierce. I was the feisty five year old who insisted on beating up on her little brother, and the sassy six year old who thought wrestling and teasing those smaller than me was a fun past time.

Afterall, I was so much cuter than him…


I got to wear the "grown up" life jacket instead of the dorky water wings...


Mom didn’t take pictures of me with a funny looking mohawk sitting naked in a flower pot…


And I took care of him when he ran too fast and bonked his head on the wall.


It’s no wonder I had the Big Sister Superiority Complex.

I still remember quite clearly my parents warning me that someday all my tauting and teasing would come back to haunt me. And it did! Shortly after toddlerhood, Bro grew like an evil weed a bean sprout. How quickly the tables did indeed turn. I experienced my fair share of razzings and lost wrestling matches once he became taller and stronger than me.

How clever I thought I was when he started high school and I could finally start fighting back with the only weapon I had against him and his muscles…his teenage insecurity and the fact that he was now a “minor niner”.

I was such an evil big sister. On his first day of high school I posted this photo of him all over the school with the words “Have You Seen This Boy?” bolded printed across the top.

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS BOY?


I think it’s a blessing in disguise that we only had to share the halls of Penetanguishene Secondary School for one year.

While Bro was a rebel and a risk taker throughout his teenage years, I was much more subdued and quiet. While I sat at home collecting china for my hope chest or helping old ladies cross the street to keep myself out of trouble (insert big red flag signalling a sarcasm alert right here!), Bro would demonstrate his feistiness by doing crazy things like pretending to be blind so he could take the dog along to the bars with him (and for those who have never met lil’ bear, she is about as far away from seeing eye dog caliber as an elephant is to walking a tight rope) to boldly faking a heart condition and needing his “heart pills” to avoid a night in jail.

Although we’ve both grown (up) throughout the years, he still has a spark and determination about him that will unquestionably lead him to great accomplishments and successes.

We are polar opposites on so many fronts (he tells me I have “pimping shades”, I tell him that his sunglasses look fabulous), but at the same time, when it comes right down to it, we share so many of the same beliefs and values that it often shocks me how similar we really are. He is now about to start his own business and I couldn’t be more proud of his initiative and drive to succeed. I wish him nothing but the best of luck as he embarks on this exciting new journey in his life.

Here’s to you Jay! From your Big (Little) Sis!




p.s. It’s our little secret that you’re still fascinated with bubbles!

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


This reminds me way too much of my "little" brother, who's about six or seven inches taller than me! Hmmm, it makes me want to post about him...of course, I wouldn't even know where to look to find our pics from childhood!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  May 24, 2005
 

That's so nice. Your relationship reminds me of mine with my brother. I thought I was better than him and made sure he knew it. We got to be friends in high school though. I can't believe you put that picture all over the school!! Did people know it was him?
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  May 24, 2005
 

Oh that was so sweet. I love all your pictures. SO cute.
If I did this for my big brother I think he would kill me.
Posted by Blogger Tammy :  May 25, 2005
 

*LOL* I remember those posters! You are lucky to have a brother that you have such a strong bond with! What kind of business is Jay opening?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  May 26, 2005
 

Hey Mandi!
How are you girl?
That's right!! Weren't you my partner in crime with those posters?

Jay and Adam Roach are starting a business to be a Canadian distibutor for a drink called skaterade...it's something like those new beer drinks that are also caffeinated (but these are marketed at skateboarders and arent alcoholic).

Hope you and Kemper are well. (Your mom sent me photos...he's a gorgeous little baby!)
Posted by Blogger karla :  May 26, 2005
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Tuesday, May 24, 2005




Recently
Sunday, May 22, 2005
Thursday, May 19, 2005
Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Tuesday, May 17, 2005
Monday, May 16, 2005
Saturday, May 14, 2005
Friday, May 13, 2005
Thursday, May 12, 2005
Wednesday, May 11, 2005