Treat Monster
by Karla ° Wednesday, September 7, 2005

My husband loves treats. Particularly, those that are of the salty and crunchy variety. Quite often, the snacks brought home from the grocery store for his lunches end up his tummy that very same day.

I felt compelled to try outwitting his salty tooth and find a new means of sustaining a treat bag for longer than one day.

The first attempt at treat sustainability was to discreetly hide them on the top of the fridge behind whatever happened to be cluttering the view up there.

This furtive and sly tactic worked quite well. For about five minutes.

Upon returning home from work the day I had been grocery shopping, Mark exclaimed he was “snacky”. I inadvertently cast a glance towards the top of the fridge and spied the corner of the cheese nacho bag sticking out. He followed my gaze and said “What are you looking at?” I tried to lie and said, “nothing”, but the twinkle in my eye and inability to hold back a smile gave me away. He started shuffling stuff around and proudly discovered the answer to his snackiness.

My mission to hide and sustain the treat bags failed miserably.

Eventually, I just gave up trying to outsmart and outwit the treat monster that lives in my husbands belly and learned to accept that whatever treats entered the house would meet the blackness and insatiable hunger for salty snacks that is my husband’s tummy that very same day.

That is, until yesterday.

A favorite salty snack was on sale. I stocked up. I bought five bags and knew that I had to hide the evidence when I got home or they would surely get eaten up instantly.

I went on the prowl and discreetly hid a bag in all the cupboards that rarely get used (you know, just in case he happened to open one of the cupboards. At the very worse, he would discover only one bag).

I also brought home chocolate milk.

Mark loves chocolate milk.

When he arrived home after work, he made his habitual glance on top of the fridge for treats, and upon not discovering any, opened the fridge to see what else there was to devour. He immediately saw the chocolate milk and wanted some.

There was already milk opened in the milk container, but we have a second milk bag holder. He started to search for it in ALL the rarely used cupboards that were now harboring treats galore.

One by one the salty snack bags were discovered.

All five were pulled out of their hiding spots.

One lone snack bag didn’t make it to see daylight.

The treat monster struck again.

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


LOL, that is so funny. In my house Mario could care less if I had that stuff at home. He is not much for chips or cookies.
He loves Fruit. Give him fruit and he is happy.
Posted by Blogger Tammy :  September 07, 2005
 

"There was already milk opened in the milk container, but we have a second milk bag holder. "

Perhaps this is a regional thing but I have no idea what you are talking about when you say the above. "milk container? milk bag holder?" Perhaps you have another milk distributing system in you house than we. I am very interested please explain.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  September 07, 2005
 

Cuppa had a great hiding place from the kids when they were young: in the All Bran box which was right in plain view in the cupboard. Worked wonderfully. Who woulod look in a bran box? For years we also hid Christmas presents in a garbage bag which was in plain view.
 

How funny!

anvilcloud-great idea! Iwill try it!
Posted by Blogger Donna :  September 07, 2005
 

We must live with the same treat monsters. My husband goes on these binges. Unbelivable how much he can eat.
 

Tammy. I am totally with your hubby. I do live my pineapple ;-)

Jami. here is a link to what a milk bag looks like

http://www.eightface.com/photo/milk3.jpg

(no idea who this is...just found the pic).

We get four liters (a gallon) of milk in three sealed bags. You just snip off a corner and pour :)

AC. Wonderful to hear from you. I hope you and Cuppa are settling in nicely to your new home. Your advice is amazing. I know that is somewhere Mark would NEVER think to look.
Posted by Blogger karla :  September 07, 2005
 

Ugh, men. :P

Mine's the same way!! If we each get a "treat" and I don't finish mine within 24 hours, he considers it his. Gahhh!!! This has resulted in my binging on things I don't really want. Oh well. : )

Milk in bags... interesting!! Never heard of such a thing.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  September 07, 2005
 

LOL. The story reminds me of training a lab rat to find things in a maze. Your husband is a smarter than average rat..
 

LOL! Isn't it wonderful how our husbands help us to write such great blog posts?

;)
Posted by Blogger Gina :  September 07, 2005
 

I thought milk bags meant breasts.

I'm the snack monster in our house. I have learned that buying snacks on sale and making them last just doesn't happen. I don't do the bulk shopping for junk, just the other stuff.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  September 07, 2005
 

my own personal treat monster is also a salt feign...i've tried lots of different things to not let him eat them all at once...but i like the bran box idea...he HATES my organic cereals....hmm..and milk bags made me laugh!! if u had cartons, maybe he wouldn't have found his treats! ha! anyway, i just posted something on your "post pregnancy remarks" fyi...
Posted by Blogger Bek :  September 08, 2005
 

Thanks for the milk bag info, I've never seen it packaged that way.
Julia Said: " I thought milk bags meant breasts." Funny Stuff.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  September 08, 2005
 

Julia, I'm right with you. I had to go back and read the sentences there again. I was wondering when she started talking about boobs!

Milk in a bag just seems like a big ol' mess. What if you don't want all of it then? Strange...Tell me more about this so-called milk container.

I have figured out all of the snacks I like that Trey doesn't, and that's what I get for me. The ones that we both like, I hide in the car under my seat. It used to work really well, until I stopped working. Now, everytime I'm in the car, so is TJ. He goes nuts if he sees me eating something, and immediately starts begging for it! I can't win! I'll definitely have to try the cereal box thing! We have cereal here that lasts for years!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  September 09, 2005
 

LMAO, ANd I thought America's had everything. Is it my understanding that America doesn't have MILK in BAGs?
OH MY GOODNESS. Very funny.
Posted by Blogger Tammy :  September 09, 2005
 

I love the treats too!! The only way I've found to stay off them is not to have them in the house :p Otherwise, they get devoured in double quick time.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  September 12, 2005
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Wednesday, September 07, 2005




Recently
Tuesday, September 06, 2005
Friday, September 02, 2005
Thursday, August 25, 2005
Monday, August 22, 2005
Monday, August 22, 2005
Friday, August 19, 2005
Tuesday, August 16, 2005
Friday, August 12, 2005
Thursday, August 11, 2005
Thursday, August 11, 2005