Crossing Over
by Karla ° Tuesday, August 16, 2005
Tomorrow, Hubby and I are making the cross over from blogdom to reality. Our dear sweet blogging friend, Julia, from South Carolina, will be in Canada.

I must admit, I am quite nervous, which is odd, because I don’t tend to find meeting people nerve wracking.

Meeting Julia will be different. We have known each other for almost a year now from meeting through our blogs. I'm sure there will be some to argue this, but I truly to believe that relationships develop through what we share about ourselves online. It is the online factor however, that makes blogging such a strange dynamic. Blogging is real life, with real friendships, real people, and real words, yet at the same time, it is real life censored to uphold a certain level of anonymity and edited reality of ourselves.

Face to face relationships are different. I can’t choose the most flattering photos to upload, I can’t go back and edit what I’ve said, and attempts at adding wit, intelligence or humor to a conversation can’t be mulled around in my head for a few hours before they get spewed out into words.

Blogging is much the same as reading a novel. When you read, your mind is able to paint its own picture of the words in front of you. You begin to conjure up your own images of the characters and places in the book that ultimately help you relate to them because your own mind has helped shape their identity and personality. When finally get to see the movie on the big screen, there tends to be an element of disappointment when you find out what the character is really like (or at least how someone else has portrayed them).

What if, in real life, I am totally different and not the same person I have portrayed through my words?


I am very excited to meet Julia. I just hope I’m not a big old boring bum with a bumbling blog who is an even bigger bumbling moron in real life (unedited).

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


You won't be... she will love you. I agree about blogging. I wish that I could meet a few of the people that I have met through here - I think if they lived in my town we would be great friends.
Posted by Blogger Jaime :  August 16, 2005
 

Somehow, Karla, I highly doubt that. :)
Posted by Blogger Gina :  August 16, 2005
 

I think it will be fine. We have met email friends, and it has been AOK.
Posted by Blogger Anvilcloud :  August 16, 2005
 

You are so lucky. I want to meet a fellow blogger. LOL

Have a great time. You will love eachother and if not just go back to your blog worlds.
 

How excited. I agree with you nervousness. Iam sure all will be fine. I am sure you are just as strong and interesting person than on your blog. I have only "known" you in the blogging world for a few weeks and I would be honored to meet you! Just be the person you are. Have fun can't wait to hear what happens!
Posted by Blogger Donna :  August 16, 2005
 

I'm with you, girl! I've known people that have gotten married after meeting people on blogs! I'm excited for you.
Posted by Blogger Humor Girl :  August 16, 2005
 

Most people know each other anecdotally anyway. Even with close friends, we sit and trade the same sort of stories and daily events as we BLOG.

You’ve got a head start on a brand new old friendship.

‘sides, what’s not to like?
Posted by Blogger methatiam :  August 16, 2005
 

Whatever...have fun...yeah...whatever...

I totally agree with methatiam. I mean, aside from looks, I tell people the same stuff in person as I do on my blog.

Oh, and you have nothing to worry about with Julia. Key point: I love Julia. I love you. I am the important one here. If I thought you guys wouldn't get along, and I would know, then I would strongly hasten you to not meet. However, you are cool. Julia's cool. Plus, she has a great, laid back sense of humor. I mean, after all, she has put up with me since third grade! Surely you can't surprise her at all!

You guys have fun...yeah, right, whatever...
Posted by Blogger Christi :  August 16, 2005
 

You will be fine. A few years ago we drove to New Hampshire to stay with people we had only spoken to via email. It made me a bit nervous, but as it turned out, it was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. They met us at the door and I felt like I had known them all my life and was meeting old new friends. It was fabulous.
Posted by Blogger Cuppa :  August 16, 2005
 

Oh that is so exciting. That would be so cool to meet a fellow blogger.
I would hope to meet you someday. Who knows.
Have fun.
One question? Is Christi Mad?
Have you met Christi before?
Posted by Blogger Tammy :  August 16, 2005
 

that is really cool! i want to meet some bloggers too! you'll have to blog about your experience.... :)
Posted by Blogger Bek :  August 17, 2005
 

Have fun! If it gets awkward, just add alcohol!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  August 17, 2005
 

Somehow I doubt you are a bumbling moron....how exciting to meet some fellow bloggers. I hope to do that someday!
Posted by Blogger Leesa :  August 17, 2005
 

I agree! Details! And good luck... I can only imagine that feeling of excitement and nervousness about meeting someone you know but don't really know. Be safe.
Posted by Blogger Amber :  August 18, 2005
 

Hi Karla, you might not remember me but we did hang out a few times back in high school, I think you know my wife (formerly Erin LeBlanc). I've read every entry on Avas blog and she really is beautiful. I thought I would say HI. I have a blog too, check my profile if you're ever really bored.. :) Bye.
Posted by Blogger NegZero :  August 18, 2005
 

The key thing is you're not going to be alone. There's so many freaks out there, some blogs make you feel like you just sauntered through the dimly lit adult section at the video store. I'm starting to think that there's something wrong with me because I'm not fixated on that kind of thing.

I met up in San Diego with a group of about 12 or so people I had contacted through a travel website. It was really interesting, some of them were outgoing and extremely compassionate souls. There were maybe two sex hounds, but I'm rating it a positive experience regardless.

Have fun!
Posted by Blogger Jim :  August 19, 2005
 

Just awesome! I have met a bunch of people I met online first. I totally agree that they are REAL although, I blogged about my imaginary friends. My family doesn't get it, but I do and that's all that matters.
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Tuesday, August 16, 2005




Recently
Friday, August 12, 2005
Thursday, August 11, 2005
Thursday, August 11, 2005
Wednesday, August 10, 2005
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Monday, August 08, 2005
Friday, August 05, 2005
Friday, August 05, 2005
Thursday, August 04, 2005
Tuesday, August 02, 2005