If vegetables were made of meat…
by Karla ° Friday, August 12, 2005
Mark would be a happy boy and I would starve…

Dinner time at the Cadeau residence is always very interesting. We are quite the pair. One of us won’t eat meat and the other dislikes vegetables. Neither of us likes to cook (unless it involves the BBQ), but we both like to eat.

No matter what way you slice it, there is always a clash of tastes when it comes to food around here. I love my veggies, and Mark loves his barbeque. I tend to graze all day and never was one for an “official meal time” but Mark loves when dinner time rolls around and he can stand proud and tall in front of his barbeque grilling up a chunk of meat to sink his carnivore teeth into.

The other night, while Mark was grilling up his steak, I made some nice salads to go with dinner. I even conceded to buying the plane jane boring iceberg lettuce to appease Mark because my favorite mesclun medley of mixed dark greens and baby spinach just creeps the meat-a-tarian in Mark right out.

Once his dinner was ready, Mark proudly brought his prey meat to the table. His eyes were glazed over with lustful thoughts of steak permeating his brain until he noticed the salad bowl staring him the face. His dream like steak bubble suddenly burst and he almost looked panicked. (Nothing kills the steak mood like a big bowl of greenery I guess). Pushing the salad aside as nonchalantly as possible, he tried to distract my "you better eat it or else glare" by making me compliment him over and over on the perfect grill lines he made on his meat slab before putting his knife and fork to work and devouring his masterpiece.

Once the steak was happily tucked away in his tummy, he begrudgingly plunged his fork into his big bowl of greens. He ate a few bites, gazing at me with each one to make sure I saw him eating his salad, and when he thought I might be happy with his efforts, exclaimed he was full.

While tidying up from dinner and dumping the remains of his half eaten salad in the garbage, I heard some crinkling in the other room. I thought the cats had gotten themselves into something, and upon entering the living room to investigate I found hubby, snacking away on a bag of nachos.

Trying to glare and look stern while I stifled back my laughter I accused, “You didn’t eat your salad because you said you were full! You just didn’t want it. You wanted treats!”

He shrugged nonchalantly as if I should know better than to feed him vegetables and in between mouthfuls of nacho chunks reminded me that if vegetables were made of meat, he would be more than happy to love eating them, but since they aren’t, he can’t make any guarantees (expressed or implied) that he will ever love eating vegetables. He just can’t bring himself to pursue an endeavor he isn’t passionate about, eating vegetables included.

How can you argue with that logic?

Veggies made of meat! What will my charmingly witty genius of a husband think of next?

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Are you sure we're not married to the same man?? ;-) Not only does Mike love his BBQ steaks, he loves them to still be bleeding!!!! YUCK!!!!!! On the rare occasions I do eat meat (chicken) it has to be COOKED!!!!! Again, EEEWWWWW. I can't get Mike to eat fruits and veggies either. The kids and I chow on them, and they consider them to be a dessert....men! ;-)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  August 12, 2005
 

Except for the meat eating part, your description of trying to feed him a salad could have been me trying to get Andrew to eat his veggies.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  August 12, 2005
 

My BIL who lives in your town says that if G-d didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

I tolerate a limited selection of veggies, but they don't normally turn my crank a lot. I do make a great veggie lasagna, however -- from Crazy Plates.
Posted by Blogger Anvilcloud :  August 12, 2005
 

... of course there are some GREAT recipies for veggies - on the grill!
(for the more serious minded griller, though)
Posted by Blogger methatiam :  August 12, 2005
 

Soy lowers a man's testosterone levels. Although they are a great source of protein if you aren't getting it from anywhere else it makes your penis shrink....
Posted by Blogger Mark :  August 12, 2005
 

My husband agrees. Not so sure I do. I love my vegetables. Chris eats them but definitly prefers the meat,
 

I love the "turn my crank"!!!!! That's funny!!!!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  August 12, 2005
 

I just noticed that you had a link to my BLOG!
Thanks!
Posted by Blogger methatiam :  August 13, 2005
 

At least the steak wasn't stil mooing at you. I love a nice salad with a nice steak.
Posted by Blogger Colleen :  August 13, 2005
 

Nothing wrong with a good salad and a steak together. So does your hubby get his vitamins by taking a supplement?

Hubba-hubba and I have grown to like vegetables more than we used to. At least certain kinds, anyway. Broccoli, brussels sprouts and cauliflower are a no go in this house.
Posted by Blogger Gina :  August 13, 2005
 

lol....at least you get your own half of a pizza! :)
Posted by Blogger Humor Girl :  August 13, 2005
 

Even more reason we need to meet...Trey and Mark are the same person in different countries! Oh, wait....never mind...You're going to meet Julia...whatever...
Posted by Blogger Christi :  August 13, 2005
 

Ok, I'm with Mark on this one. I would take the meat over the veggie any day.

That is too funny.
Posted by Blogger Tammy :  August 14, 2005
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Friday, August 12, 2005




Recently
Thursday, August 11, 2005
Thursday, August 11, 2005
Wednesday, August 10, 2005
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Monday, August 08, 2005
Friday, August 05, 2005
Friday, August 05, 2005
Thursday, August 04, 2005
Tuesday, August 02, 2005
Monday, August 01, 2005