Hola from Delaware
by Karla ° Monday, October 3, 2005
As I sit here, legs crossed, in a giant oversized leather chair at a giant oversized mahagoney desk in a sun drenched hotel room, I realized that I have seriously been missing in action in these days, but I have a good excuse.

It’s been a bit of a whirlwind past couple of weeks that suddenly have me sitting here in Wilmington, Delaware while my husband is on business. I also can't help but eagerly anticipate our next stop over destination in Washington, DC.

Yesterday was a fantastic 550 miles (885 km) journey to down I-81 through New York and I-476 through Pennsylvania all the way to Delaware. We left early Sunday morning after securing a rental car and made our way to the Hill Island Bridge, cleared customs, and entered into the powerful nation that is the United States of America.

I couldn’t help but appreciate the beauty of my surroundings as part of our drive took us through the stunning rolling scenery of the Appalachian Mountains. I have to admit, part of the fascination with our drive was noticing the differences south of our Canadian border. As a Canadian, I must share with my US friends the various differences that were noteworthy enough to stand out in my canuckle head mind.

Interstate Highways
US Interstate highways are remarkably well maintained.

Toll Highways are a new thing for me. The only pay highway we have in Canada doesn’t operate via tolls. You just simply drive on it, your license plate is photographed, and a bill arrives in the mail (or you buy a transponder to travel on it frequently).

The mileage listed on the Interstates is also interesting. The mile of highway you are driving on is always made available and there are markers that show what point in the mile you are at (2/10th, 5/10th, etc). Even more interesting was the help phones strategically placed every few miles or so along the road. You always knew where you were (i.e. 98 6/10th mile along I-81). What a neat (albeit tedious) idea to build into a highway system.


Getting used to distances being listed in miles was also different. A mile takes a heck of a lot longer to drive than a kilometer (especially when you're travelling hundreds and hundreds of miles).

Gas
Even with the exchange rate, at $3.00/gallon, that’s a steal! Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe, even with the conversion, we're paying about $4.00/gallon in Canada.

Another notable difference with highway driving in the US versus Canada is that we never came across any service stations directly off the highway. To fill up, we had to exit the Interstate and drive off into a nearby community to get gas. In Canada, we have service stations, located conveniently right off the highway, so you don’t have to actually exit the highway for gas.

Food
Unquestionably different. I remember the startling difference when we were in Las Vegas a few years back and have never forgotten. Portion sizes are humungous and much greasier that I am accustomed to. I managed to eat a quarter of my pasta dinner last night. It probably doesn’t help that I am one of the pickiest eaters on the planet, but can anyone explain to me why my dinner roll tasted like a donut?


Billboards and Broadcasting
I was somewhat stunned at the amount of Christian advertising on the radio and billboards. I have to admit, I have never seen a sign that says “Jesus is coming as lightning, are you ready?” I think it is absolutely wonderful that there is such a drive for a Christian community and way of life, but as a resident from one of the most multicultural cities in the world, with over 90 different ethnic groups and religious backgrouds, specific religious advertising just wouldn’t work and is unheard of.


The Best Part of Philadelphia
The major highlight of my trip will be meeting
Kate. Yes, I have the amazing opportunity to meet another blogger. In a million years, I never would have guessed I would be meeting people that I have met through “blogging” in real life. I can’t wait. I am so very excited to meet her.


Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


We have gas stations right off the highway around here. Perhaps you should head south towards Texas. Oh and I'll stop complaining about the $3 gas, well for today any way.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 03, 2005
 

I cant wait to meet you too. It is going to be awesome.

Thanks Karla!
 

How funny! I grew up in Wilmington Delaware. Hope you have a nice time.
 

I think you might feel more at home in the south. Our mile markers are every mile, but no decimals are marked. We also have no phones on the side of the highway. We do have gas stations right off the highway. I guess they are usually part of a community, but they are also usually right off the highway, so you don't really have to go into the town.

The food I'm sure is big and greasy, though I don't notice because I'm used to it. We have Christian advertising with billboards and radio and things like that. I'm also used to that, so I don't really think much of it.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  October 03, 2005
 

Welcome to America and Have a Nice Day.
Posted by Blogger Kurt :  October 04, 2005
 

We have stations right on the exit where we are from (south) as well as the Jesus advertisements (@@). Last night gas was $2.99/gallon here and I have another Canadian friend who says that she couldn't believe the "processed foods" that take up 80% of the grocery stores. The truth of the matter is that the average American eats horrible...that's why we are all dying of heart disease, cancers, strokes and obesity.

I hope you have a wonderful time and I'd like to hear more of your observations :)
Posted by Blogger Dora :  October 05, 2005
 

There are rest stops right off the highway -- with gas, little shops, fast food -- just only on certain roads. (I-90 thru NY, for example.) I hate it when you've got to get off and drive to some podunk town for gas. Scary sometimes!

And if I'm reading this correctly, you were in DC on Tuesday night?! I would have met ya for a drink. Oh man did I need a drink Tuesday night. hee.

Hope the rest of your trip goes well!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 06, 2005
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Monday, October 03, 2005




Recently
Saturday, September 24, 2005
Friday, September 23, 2005
Friday, September 23, 2005
Friday, September 16, 2005
Monday, September 12, 2005
Friday, September 09, 2005
Thursday, September 08, 2005
Wednesday, September 07, 2005
Tuesday, September 06, 2005
Friday, September 02, 2005