Stinky McFlea
by Karla ° Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Thank you so much for all the dog advice. It was great and definetely helpful learning about all the different experiences you have had with the dogs in your life.

As soon as we bought our home in August of 2004, we knew we would eventually bring a dog home someday. That day was Friday.

We welcomed Stinky McFlea (a.k.a. Samson the Dog) home late Friday night. On a last minute whim, Mark and I hopped in the car and drove and drove until we found ourselves parked at a farm where eight tiny little puppies anxiously ran around, pondering the fate of the rest of their lives and what their new mom and dads would be like, I’m sure. Either that or they were enthusiastically conspiring with each other creative places to relieve themselves.

He’s completely and totally wonderful. Except when biting and peeing on the floor. But he’s a puppy. We can work on those issues.

Full of piss and vinegar, he plays hard, sleeps hard, and poo’s enough to leave me awestruck at how much fits in his tiny little belly. Even more fascinating is the puppy insta-poo syndrome. He eats, then poos. Instantly after his belly his full. After his charmingly stinky insta-poo, he is full of insta-energy. This lasts about five minutes before insta-sleep syndrome kicks in and he crashes hard, no matter where or what he is doing.


We’re still learning about each other. I have much to learn about training a puppy, and he has much to learn about good behavior, toe biting and overnight bladder control. We’re a work in progress, and as he teaches me about patience, the need for lots of positive reinforcement and companionship, I’ll do my best to train and rear him into a well behaved dog who loves walks, running, frisbee, fetch and peeing outside.

Today’s big goal: Trying to beat his all time daily record of two potty accidents in the house in half.


Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Congrats on the new pup! How wonderful! Puppies are so much fun, and a learning experience for sure!

Have fun Karla!
Posted by Blogger Mandi :  January 10, 2006
 

Congratulations.

Oh my goodness he is so cute! Ahh to remember the puppy days! So sweet yet so stinky!
 

Congrats congrats....he's adorable! :)
Posted by Blogger Wynter :  January 10, 2006
 

So cute!

Samson is a really good name for a dog, I approve! ;)

I've never had to train a puppy, so I can't give you much advice, just wish you good luck!
Posted by Blogger Gina :  January 10, 2006
 

Oh my gosh! He is so adorable!!!! I love puppies, and I love labs. They are so much fun, so much trouble, but so worth it. I loved holding Puppy like that when he was little too.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  January 10, 2006
 

I read your blog in the morning and this wasn't posted yet. Mark and I went for a walk during lunch and he thought I new about samson because I mentioned to him that I read you blog.

I'm so happy for the tree of you! A big congratulations on picking this little guy out. I hope the kitties get along with samson.
 

I can't believe how much like a puppy he looks!
Posted by Blogger Kurt :  January 10, 2006
 

I like dogs a lot, but for convenience and ease I'm a cat man. There's a beautiful Lab up the street who's older but still not full grown. She is sure full of life.
Posted by Blogger Anvilcloud :  January 10, 2006
 

congrats on your puppy sweetie :-)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 11, 2006
 

Woohoo on getting the puppy. He's such a cutey..
 

HE IS ADORABLE! Love the "insta-poo" comment! It's so true though! Looks like he is happy as a clam with his new home though! The picture of you and him is soo cute and you look GORGEOUS my dear!

Congrats on your new addition!
Posted by Blogger Patyrish :  January 11, 2006
 

Oh soo cute. I was at the mall yesturday looking at all of the cute pups. Have fun!
Posted by Blogger Donna :  January 11, 2006
 

I had a lab before. I would say that it's the only kind of dog worth having. Great choice!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  January 11, 2006
 

my friend sent me over here. We have a golden retriever - when a puppy she looked like Samson - same light colour and same cute nose!!

She's two now (in April) and hubby wants her to have puppies. At first he thought this spring but now it seems like she'll have them this time next year. (or earlier in the winter)

(Before you all get excited we're in Finland)

how old is he? we got Mindy at 7 weeks - don't remember the instant poo thing - maybe its the brand of dog food - and the toilet training doesn't take long either.

blessings
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 12, 2006
 

Congrats on the puppy.
He's adorable
 

This is the first time I've come to your sight and already I like you! I have a yellow lab that looked like yours when he was little. How can you not love a face that looks like that. Mines 13 now. Enjoy! They're great!

P.S. Love the picture with the bowls. Someday soon they'll actually fit him! lol.
 

Hi Iorna. Thanks for stopping by. We got Samson at 7 weeks too. I hope you are right about toilet training. Although he actually does his business outside, he totally relies on us to take him out about 25 times a day.
Posted by Blogger karla :  January 15, 2006
 

Oh he's too cute, Karla. Good luck w/ the puppers.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  January 18, 2006
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Tuesday, January 10, 2006




Recently
Friday, January 06, 2006
Wednesday, January 04, 2006
Wednesday, December 21, 2005
Friday, December 09, 2005
Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Friday, December 02, 2005
Wednesday, November 30, 2005
Monday, November 14, 2005
Thursday, November 03, 2005
Friday, October 28, 2005