Butterfly Kisses
by Karla ° Monday, June 12, 2006

On Sunday I held a stunningly sleepy Monarch butterfly in my hands. I stood in a crowd of hundreds of people who understood what it is like to lose a baby. I stood with my husband in my arms, and we released two beautiful butterflies for the two tiny lives that we never had a chance to know.


I was expecting a large cloud of graceful fluttering when we released our butterflies, but instead, we were all charmed and amazed as our tiny little symbols of ephemeral physical existence danced and drifted merrily around us, some even bravely pausing on a shoulder or in the palm of our hands. As a creature that can be torn apart from a hard rain, their brief lingering felt like an acknowledgement of our loss and understanding of the fragility of life.

As I watched my little butterfly flutter off to destinations unknown, I couldn’t help but wonder if death is not something like the dormant cocoon that a caterpillar makes before emerging as something more beautiful and grand.

I like to think Ava’s spirit is lingering on in a place where we’ll meet again someday.

I like to think that my darling little butterfly is waiting patiently to share with me the joyous wonders and beauty of her transformation into an existence I just can’t even begin to understand.


Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


I am absolutely positive that she is!
Posted by Blogger Gina :  June 12, 2006
 

What a neat thing to do in rememberance of your babes.
Posted by Blogger Donna :  June 12, 2006
 

Oh Karla - my heart skipped a beat when I started reading this, because butterflies have always been my symbol of hope and connection with our son Matthew as well. In fact, on the Mother's Day after we lost him, we were having supper on the deck outside, and there was a very docile butterfly that kept landing on our heads and shoulders. I said it was a sign from Matthew that he was still with us and that he wanted me to have a happy Mother's Day.

Thanks for sharing your post! Somewhere, Ava and Matthew are frollicking together in a heavenly playground.
Posted by Blogger Heather Plett :  June 12, 2006
 

That is too cool and sweet. I don't think I'll ever look at butterflies the same again. I'm so glad you guys got to do that.
Posted by Blogger Christi :  June 12, 2006
 

How sweet. I love the idea of seeting butterflies free to signify loss... that's an increadible way of looking at things. Truly changes one's perspective.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  June 12, 2006
 

Thank you. Your blogs are amazing! :)
And yup I remember milk in bags from Alberta, though I don't remember there being chocolate.

Irene
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  June 12, 2006
 

what a nice post! :) it made me smile
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  June 12, 2006
 

Great post. Glad you shared it..
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  June 12, 2006
 

That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. Thank you for being such an inspiration.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  June 13, 2006
 

Those two beautiful, fragile creatures could not have been in better hands.
Posted by Blogger methatiam :  June 13, 2006
 

Butterflies are so beautiful and so symbolic, especially in this case. What a meaningful experience for you.
Posted by Blogger Anvilcloud :  June 13, 2006
 

So sweet! I am glad you and Mark were able to be part of the butterfly release!

You will see Ava again someday I really believe that!
 

How beautiful. This post gave me chills.
Posted by Blogger Patyrish :  June 14, 2006
 

This made me cry.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  September 20, 2007
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Monday, June 12, 2006




Recently
Friday, June 02, 2006
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Monday, May 29, 2006
Thursday, April 27, 2006
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Thursday, April 13, 2006
Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Monday, April 03, 2006
Thursday, March 30, 2006
Tuesday, March 21, 2006