Sausage
by Karla ° Friday, June 2, 2006
This pregnancy has been far from typical so far. Part of me feels like a fly under a microscope with all of the tests that have been done, and downright mad at the world that this pregnancy will never be a time of patient and naïve anticipation, but mostly, I am relieved that my progress is being so closely monitored, if for nothing else, than my own peace of mind.

To date, I have had 18 vials of blood drawn, one vaginal ultrasound and two tummy ultrasounds. The blood work, aside from the standard prenatal stuff, has been to monitor my pregnancy hormone levels (HCG) to make sure they were doubling every 48 hours. If one didn’t know me, I might be mistaken for a sinister needle using burnt out space cadet. My arms are full or bruises, needle holes and residual band aid tape.

I heard a heartbeat on Tuesday though, and I know I said with Ava, that was one of the most magical sounds in the world, and my thoughts haven’t changed in the least. At only eight weeks old, my little bubs has a beating heart and a strong chance at life.

Back in January, I met with my OB to map out a plan for a future pregnancy and we decided that it was best to avoid going into labour at all costs. Although she didn’t discourage a vaginal birth, given the circumstances, I feel more comfortable with an elective c-section a few weeks before my due date. I’m not thrilled at the idea of being cut open again, but at least this time I won’t be put on life support in a frenzied haste to quickly knock me out to remove a distressed baby.

My views on labour and delivery have changed dramatically. I just can’t help but feel strongly that at the end of the day, all that really matters is a healthy baby, not the way they come into this world.

My views on getting fat however, have not changed, and I am mortified to admit that I have already gained three pounds. So help me god. My fabulous ass jeans have become sausage casings and I can’t stop eating dried cranberries, frosted mini-wheats and potatoes.

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


The best thing you can do right now, for yourself AND the baby, is be kind to yourself, so don't let the weight or birthing choices LAY ANY KIND OF GUILT ON YOU! Pregnancy after loss is stressful enough without adding unnecessary guilt.

Sending good karma through the cosmos to you...
Posted by Blogger Heather Plett :  June 02, 2006
 

LOL! You always make me laugh. You get bigger and gain weight faster with every pregnancy!! Even though I started sooner with #2 I gained less. Just keep eating healthy! Who cares how your baby comes into this world. C-section is fine. I had both vaginal, but just thinking about NOT having to go through labor..sounds good to me!! You will do fine=) Very glad to hear tey are keeping a close watch on your baby.
Posted by Blogger Donna :  June 02, 2006
 

Um, hello! This is the time in your life when people will find you the cutest thing in the world the fatter you get! Why do you think I stay prego? You of all people don't have to worry about gaining weight...you actually have the self-control and a hubby to help to get rid of it once you've had that baby. Now that I'm moving back home, once mine is born, Julia has vowed to go on a diet w/me, and we'll get ourselves on What Not to Wear. Once your baby is born, you can join us, and then we'll all get on there. Won't that be fun! (Yeah, so you have fashion sense, but hey, I'm sure they'll understand and take you, too!)
Posted by Blogger Christi :  June 03, 2006
 

A healthy baby is the only important thing. And all pregnant women look good so gain away..
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  June 03, 2006
 

a bit of a rainbow past the clouds.
Posted by Blogger MarlaSinger :  June 04, 2006
 

by no means are you going to be fat!

And yea for baby heartbeats and happy mommys! You are so right that at the end of the day it is not how you came into the world but that it was safe and you and the baby are healthy!
 

HOO-RAH!

I found you through another blog a while back and check in every once in a while to see how you are doing. I am so thrilled for you!

My thoughts will be with you as you walk this brave journey.

Take Care.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  June 05, 2006
 

The goal at the end is a healthy baby.... doesn't matter how he/she gets here. A friend of mine referred me to your site, and I am so excited for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers... and yay for starch! :)
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  June 05, 2006
 

congrats!!! :) I'll be praying for u and ur hubby
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  June 05, 2006
 

OK, I suppose three pounds might be allot if you’re only 12 pounds to begin with.

(Convert it to metric, it’ll sound better).
Posted by Blogger methatiam :  June 06, 2006
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Friday, June 02, 2006




Recently
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Monday, May 29, 2006
Thursday, April 27, 2006
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Thursday, April 13, 2006
Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Monday, April 03, 2006
Thursday, March 30, 2006
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
Wednesday, March 15, 2006