Showboating
by Karla ° Tuesday, October 17, 2006
Before heading out the door for my prenatal appointment yesterday, I said a long and piteous farewell to my heels. My feet are swollen laterally, obliquely and transversely, and stuffing them into a pair of heels exasperates their painful cries of swollen distress.
I made peace with the unpleasantness of the situation and collected myself, my belly and a dirty pair of sneakers for my two grouchy appendages and was on my way.

Shockingly, I have lost weight over the past two weeks, but my little bubalubs is growing swimmingly swell. He scored a perfect 8/8 on his biophysical profile ultrasound and he is still measuring larger than average at 2.6 lbs, which is a wonderful thing.

The score, in case you are wondering, is used to measure fetal breathing, body movements, muscle tone and the volume of amniotic fluid. Each item receives a score from 0 – 2. Ava always scored perfect on all of her BPP exams as well, so although these can’t guarantee a positive outcome, I am trying to remain optimistic.

I watched my little macho man (whose name is Nate by the way, or Nathan when stern emphasis is required for hoodlumish behavior), proudly put his testicles on display and open and close his mouth as he prepares himself for the momentous day when he will need to breathe air.

I signed a c-section waver, and although it in no way means that the surgery is set in stone, it has definitely set the balls in motion for a delivery date only 66 days from now.
As my OB discussed the risks of undergoing a second c-section, I felt my heart leap out of my chest and my face shift from flushed to salt-pale while trying to absorb being told about the things I was already concerned about. My views on having another c-section shift like magma on the ocean floor with my feelings running just as deep. If I go through with it, I will not be able to attempt a VBAC ever again, and have to accept that having a womb with a view is the only option for further deliveries (at least while under the care of the medical staff at Mount Sinai, I’m sure there are plenty of Doula’s and Midwives who feel differently.) For reasons science does not understand, the risk of having a stillborn baby increases after each subsequent c-section, as does the risk of a uterine rupture, placenta previa or placenta accreta (where the placenta attached the c-section scar and will not detach, increasing the odds of a hysterectomy.)

My doctor has a unique way of putting the odds into perspective, but in the back of my mind I can’t help but feel like I am already part of the rare statistical club of Neonatal deaths. Although miscarriages are more common, if lightening struck twice in the form of infant death and miscarriage, it can certainly strike again.

I am weighing my options very carefully.

In the meantime, I’m just happy my baby is doing just fine as he practices those important skills that are apparently crucial to human survival, like learning to breathe, flexing his big bad baby muscles and prominently showboating his testicles.

Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


I'm glad he is doing so well!

And as for the heels, I gave those up years ago!
Posted by Blogger Gina :  October 17, 2006
 

I like that name.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  October 17, 2006
 

Very nice name, I really like it. There was a guy in my common sememster class who was named Nathan, he had a large penis...or was it the huge piece of rock core he put down his pants in drilling and blasting class...anyway
Glad everything looks good.
 

I love that name. That's the name I almost gave my son. I hear boys are penis show offs...in and out of the womb. LOL

Also, I love the layout. And I'm still not back in my heels 6 mos after childbirth. *sighs*
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 17, 2006
 

Nate Untangling Knots does have a nice ring to it. Far nicer than Percy or Boris..
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 17, 2006
 

Yippee! I SO can't wait to meet little Nate, even though a pic on a computer screen won't be as good as the real thing. Perhaps I'll have to figure out how to get another business trip to Toronto in a couple of months. Hmmmm....
 

I'm coming back to read when I'm not headed to a football game in the pouring rain...BUT, I saw on Heather's post that you helped with her template.
Do you do that for others who will pay you?
Please pop over to my GlobAsylum and visit. I need help. :)
Posted by Blogger Swampwitch :  October 17, 2006
 

Nate is a good name! That is my brothers name! I am glad to hear he is doing well=)

I am sure you will make the right decision for you and your baby!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 17, 2006
 

You've got a streaker on your hands, already showin' off for the ladies!! :-)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 20, 2006
 

Haven't been able to get into your blog for days and days. Finally hooked up this morning so am doing some back reading.

Don't know why the feeds on some blogs cut in and out on me, but it happens all the time. GRRRR! Oh well, at least you are back for now.

Nathan! I like it. It means "gift" How appropriate for a Christmas baby. I am sure he will bring the gift of joy to your house this year.
Posted by Blogger Cuppa :  October 22, 2006
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Tuesday, October 17, 2006




Recently
Sunday, October 15, 2006
Friday, October 13, 2006
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Monday, October 09, 2006
Saturday, October 07, 2006
Thursday, October 05, 2006
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
Monday, October 02, 2006
Sunday, October 01, 2006