Big Bad Belly Shots - 33 Weeks
by Karla ° Tuesday, November 21, 2006
After my false labour episode on Friday, I don’t think we’ve succeeded in getting our act together to prepare for baby Nate’s arrival.

Instead of preparing for things directly related to the birth of this baby we spent the weekend doing things indirectly related to Nate, like buying me a new notebook computer - Merry Christmas to me – thanks Mom and Mark. With the introduction of more techy gadgets however, all of the wires hanging around suddenly seemed like a menacingly dangerous tripping hazard for moms carrying babies, so we bid the sinister network cables adios and set up a wireless home network. If you happen to live in the area and see a wireless network called *FUCKOFF*, that would be ours – please don’t try to piggy back on it and steal our internet.

Also, because any sort of baking that does not involve a mix master, oven or skillfulness is right up my alley, we did some Christmas baking and made Chocolate Cookie Bark and promptly ate it all because jeez - what if we do end up delivering this baby earlier than expected and all of that cholocately goodness just rots away in the fridge over Christmas. Sheer disgrace I say.

Another indirect and eccentrically nutty preparation for baby’s arrival was putting up the Christmas tree and hauling out all of the Christmas decorations. Somehow sipping hot cocoa made from milk whisked into a warm frothy foam and tying gold ribbons on the tree in late November made more sense than washing receiving blankets and onesies.

I am completely aware of the fact that my c-section is only 32 days away, yet I can’t shake this totally nonchalant laid back attitude about packing my bags and getting the baby’s room together.

That being said, we did manage to fill the car with gas, charge the camcorder and camera batteries and I threw some diapers in a suitcase along with a velour hoodie and cargo pants for Nate’s first trip home. I also bid on and won a new faux shearling bunting bag on ebay for him so our winter coats can match.

Apparently, not only do I need to assess my priorities on getting ready for this kid, but also on dressing him for functionality over cuteness.

And maybe, just maybe, it might be helpful to try and focus on remembering to cut the price tags off of my Christmas decorations. Note the tacky neglectfulness not so discreetly tucked away inside the spiral tree on my end table.

Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Christmas trees and hot cocoa! YAY!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 21, 2006
 

You are looking great!

Wow, he is going to be the most fahshionable baby around! I think I just put homeboy in some kind of onesie or something for the trip home. We live all of five minutes from our hospital. I was a little out of it during that period.
Posted by Blogger Gina :  November 21, 2006
 

A big bad belly and a Christmas tree...the makings of a great photo. I want to put our tree up soon too. :)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 21, 2006
 

We hung up all our Christmas stuff this weekend, too! Waaaay earlier than I ever had before, by my son begged us.

Sounds like you are doing all the fnu stuff to prepare for the baby! Nothing wrong with that!
Posted by Blogger Kate :  November 21, 2006
 

Karla,

You are beautiful and glowing as always! As so is your Christmas tree. (Ok, your tree isn't glowing but it is pretty)!! I have also put up the Christmas tree and decorated a little, and did some Christmas baking (choc. chip cookies) as well and ate it all up too! Yummy! Now you will just have to share with me how you made hot chocolate with milk, b/c that sounds so delicious!! 32 days and countings! I am so excited for you!! Hugs!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 21, 2006
 

I can't believe how fabulous you look at such a late stage of pregnancy. I wasn't quite as hot as you are now.

Everything's going to be fine. Stop putting it off. You'll feel so much better knowing you're totally prepared.

Happy Turkey Day!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 21, 2006
 

Seeing you by the tree reminds me off our first -- in December. Every time I came home from visiting the hospital, I had to rebuild the tree that the cats had knocked down.
 

you look awesome!! lol the tree looks good too!! so pretty
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  November 21, 2006
 

You do look fabulous, and I'm totally jealous.

I say, don't worry about the bag. Throw some snacks in there, an outfit for his first pics, and have the car seat ready to go. Maybe some electronic gadgets. Everything else is a bonus. What I needed was empy space in my bags for all the stuff they gave me!

I had TWO bags ready to go for me and baby. I touched neither. The hospital had diapers, blankets, and little tshirt kimonos. I didn't get out of my hospital gown until I left. I even wore those horrible gauze hospital undies the whole time! lol I was just happy to shower & get out of bed. Csections hurt so take it easy.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 21, 2006
 

Karla, Your tree looks so pretty. I love the gold.
You are looking good as well. I am glad you got some stuff ready. Batteries and gas are a start.
Posted by Blogger Tammy :  November 21, 2006
 

You still look hot.
Your house is so clean. You really should get some pictures of it to show the family after Nate arrives. It will never look the same again..
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 21, 2006
 

At least you got something accomplished!

Your nesting instinct will come soon, and you will get everything done that needs to be!

You are looking cute as always!!

Can't wait to put up our tree!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 21, 2006
 

Awwwww..... you are almost ready. You're getting there.

I had to laugh at the photo with the couch in the background. We really really must have similar tastes. Not only do we have the EXACT same dining room tables, but our couches are very very similar as well. Too funny!!!
Posted by Blogger Me :  November 22, 2006
 

You look amazing! And now I want to put up my Christmas tree and all...
Posted by Blogger Sandra :  November 22, 2006
 

What a wonderfull name for a network, I had thought of DIE_HACKER_DIE, but thought it was too wordy. You got right to the point.

I just need to get through tomorrow, and THEN I can start thinking about trees.
Posted by Blogger methatiam :  November 22, 2006
 

That's great... hot cocoa sounds sooo yummy!! I was totally focused on fashion when I brought Emilee home from the hospital... in pretty much what she wore while in the hospital. I was totally unprepared for the fact that my newborn would not fit into 0-3 month clothing at only 7lbs, 7oz.

I can't wait to see baby Nate!! I'm so excited for you guys!
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  November 23, 2006
 

Cuteness always comes before functionality, especially when you're talking about babies.

I can't wait to see him, and I can't wait to compare your real story to the one you just told!

I forgot you guys don't celebrate our Thanksgiving. I was wondering why you didn't do anything for that...Oops!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  November 24, 2006
 

Karla, you look beautiful. And happy. There's worry, there, too, but it's calm for now.

I check in each day to see how you are and whether Nate is on his way yet.

Maybe he and Lucy can meet one day.

Best,
Carly
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  November 27, 2006
 

You look awesome Karla!

I love Christmas and this year you are going to have your wonderful baby! I cant wait to see him!
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Tuesday, November 21, 2006




Recently
Saturday, November 18, 2006
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Saturday, November 11, 2006
Friday, November 10, 2006
Thursday, November 09, 2006
Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Thursday, November 02, 2006
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Sunday, October 29, 2006