My baby has limbs!
by Karla ° Tuesday, June 27, 2006
I went for a Nuchal Translucency Screening test yesterday, which is basically a fancy word for an ultrasound that helps assess a baby’s risk for Down syndrome, chromosomal abnormalities and other major congenital heart problems.

I’ve had some very mixed feelings about genetic testing. With Ava, I had no tests. The results wouldn’t have changed my feelings about continuing with the pregnancy and I saw no reason to stress myself out over tests that could ultimately result in false positives anyways.

Today I feel differently. I want to be armed with as much knowledge as I can about what is going on with my baby. I’m craving the small steps of successes and milestones. At 12 weeks, I’m almost a third of the way through this pregnancy, which is something to celebrate, but I need more reassurance than a heartbeat now. I need information to cling to, to remain hopeful.

I liked the idea of going ahead with the Nuchal Translucency test because unlike an amniocentesis where they draw amniotic fluid from your uterus (with a 1 in 200 chance of miscarriage) or chorionic villus sampling (cvs), where a sample of your placenta is removed through your cervix (with a 1 in 100 chance of miscarriage), the NT test was non-invasive and posed no risks. Essentially, the skin folds of my baby’s neck was measured, I had some blood drawn, and although I don’t know the results of the bloodwork yet, the measurements of the neck rolls fell within the normal range.

Aside from the (expected) but good news, it was such a delight to see my little bubalubs flailing his/her arms and legs around and watching the rhythm of a little bulge that is a beating heart. Already sucking their thumb and displaying a prominent facial profile, I have fallen in love all over again, despite the fact that I have become a dietary black hole that sucks down all organic matter that isn’t nailed down.

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Woohoo! I love ultrasounds! They just have a way of making a baby seem so much more real.

When I was pregnant with Nikki (our first) I had a bad scare early on involving a lot of bleeding. After that, I prayed and prayed that I would feel her move soon so that I would have reassurance. Everyone told me not to expect movement until close to 20 weeks (with a first pregnancy), but I started feeling her move around 15 weeks. I'm going to pray the same for you, 'cause I know how reassuring it is to feel them rolling around in there.
Posted by Blogger Heather Plett :  June 27, 2006
 

I'm so excited for you guys!

Sending lots of love your way,
Mandi, Kevin and Kemper
Posted by Blogger Mandi :  June 27, 2006
 

That's wonderful!!! I'm glad you got to see that. I've never heard of that particular test before. Is it new?
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  June 27, 2006
 

I love it! I had no idea babies had neck rolls yet. Hmmm, I have more in common with fetuses than I thought!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  June 27, 2006
 

Glad everything is going well. Woohoo in fact..
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  June 27, 2006
 

Excited for you.

Hey you could always be like Tom Cruise and go buy a $20,000 ultrasound machine to have at home=)LOL!

But seriuosly, hold onto all those milestones and all the reassurances that come your way. Definatley sounds like you are getting more and more excited.
Posted by Blogger Donna :  June 28, 2006
 

Hey Julia
It is relatively new. I don't know how common it is in the US, but I think it's starting to become part of the standard care in Europe. Only a few places in Canada offer it right now too.

I think it's still largely research based because I had to sign a waver that my pregnancy will be tracked after the baby is born (which I guess makes sense because they need a way to see if their calculations were correct).
Posted by Blogger karla :  June 28, 2006
 

I'd jump up and down for you and your good news, but I'm afraid I'd wake the baby!
Posted by Blogger methatiam :  June 28, 2006
 

So exciting! I'm sure everything will be fine...so excited for you, Karla!
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  June 28, 2006
 

Smiling broadly here.
Posted by Blogger Anvilcloud :  June 28, 2006
 

Awesomeness. This post made my day.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  June 28, 2006
 

This totally made me smile. Oh a tip for the whole feeling like a sausage. BUY LULU LEMON CLOTHES. they stretch and you can wear them again after the pregnancy. congrats girl.
Posted by Blogger MarlaSinger :  June 29, 2006
 

You're preggers! I'm so surprised (only because I've been a total loser and haven't checked on things here for M-O-N-T-H-S.

Congratulations!!
Posted by Blogger Jim :  July 09, 2006
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Tuesday, June 27, 2006




Recently
Monday, June 19, 2006
Thursday, June 15, 2006
Monday, June 12, 2006
Friday, June 02, 2006
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Monday, May 29, 2006
Thursday, April 27, 2006
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Thursday, April 13, 2006
Tuesday, April 11, 2006