Fustiness
by Karla ° Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Excluding my moments of naughtiness, pregnancy has a way of turning me into a deeply devoted pregnancy police watch dog.

(I am also deeply devoted to my husband and Rice Krispie squares. Does that make me swooning romantic wrapped in an enigma of gooey marshmallow with chapeau wearing brothers, Snap! Crackle! and Pop!?)

Looking back, I don’t know how I would have lived with myself after losing Ava if I didn’t do everything in my power to be as healthy and responsible as possible while caring for little life form incubating inside of me.

Because I live in a land of ribbons and puppy dog tails and want to ensure a perfect Disney textbook rendition of pregnancy, I have some weaknesses when it comes to the image I obviously portray when looking so bulgingly pregnant.

Take for example, the liquor store. I won’t set foot in one, and even though I wouldn’t touch a drop of alcohol while pregnant, I would be afraid of the susurrus whispers of nosy onlookers, or worse, having a judgmental finger of shame waved in my face while being chastised about fetal alcohol syndrome verbatim that is overwhelmingly obvious to anyone who can skip and chew gum.

Perhaps it is a tad on the anal side, but I just can’t bring myself to lumber down aisles filled with wine and fruity drink coolers with an apparent pregnant belly emblazoning my torso. It just feels so déclassé.

I know, I sound like a fusty hausfrau.

It frightens me too that I would make June Cleaver proud.

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


I think I would be the same way..
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 11, 2006
 

I was exactly the same way!
Posted by Blogger Gina :  October 11, 2006
 

Oh, I would do it just to get the looks. Oops!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  October 11, 2006
 

I feel the exact same way! My husband smokes, much to my dismay and the few times he's asked me to pick up a pack for him while I'm pregnant, it's embarassing to walk in the store and buy a pack! I've even gotten a few looks when I've returned empty bottle cans to the store and some of them have been beer. I just want to scream that no I haven't smoked or drank ANYTHING while I'm pregnant! So yes I know exactly where you're coming from!
Posted by Blogger Amber :  October 11, 2006
 

Susurrus? Fusty? Hausfrau? Studying the dictionary in your spare time?
Posted by Blogger Anvilcloud :  October 11, 2006
 

I'm with anvilcloud on this one.
Obviously all that healthy living has increased your IQ signifigantly..
Duh, don't get two many more smarts or wee won't understand youse..
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 11, 2006
 

i would be that way too
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  October 11, 2006
 

Women are so better educated these days. I shutter when I think of how it was way back when I had my babies. It seems miraculous that any healthy babies were born at all.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 11, 2006
 

Laughing out loud at Christi's comment! Oh what Anvilcloud said was funny too :-D and as usual im lost fer words!
 

Nothing wrong, darling, with wanting to keep onlookers pleased. If I saw a pregnant woman in a liquor store... I would probably come to the same initial conclusion. So, I say it's best to keep doin' the anal retentive things you're doin'. We all love you for them! :)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 12, 2006
 

I have no plans on stepping foot into a liquor store now or when I'm "full blown" People these days are just so critical in many ways. I totally understand where you are coming from.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 12, 2006
 

I was the same way about the liquor store, but in my first trimester I bought cigarettes and prenatals at the same time. The looks I got from the people was mortifying.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 13, 2006
 

Oh, I know that feeling…you are right to stay out of there, lol…I had to buy a few bottles of wine for a dinner party at the grocery store…the woman ringing me up literally kept staring at my belly! I was mortified that she would even think they were all for me…but I could see it in her eyes, she was wondering, lol.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  October 14, 2006
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Wednesday, October 11, 2006




Recently
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Monday, October 09, 2006
Saturday, October 07, 2006
Thursday, October 05, 2006
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
Monday, October 02, 2006
Sunday, October 01, 2006
Friday, September 29, 2006
Wednesday, September 27, 2006
Tuesday, September 26, 2006