Retro 80s night revisited
by Karla ° Monday, July 25, 2005
I went out and had FUN! Imagine that.

It’s amazing what getting out of the house and painting the town red (or hot pink if was up to me) can do for a person. I think the last time I saw 3:00 am was when I was waking up 30 times a night a night to pee when I was pregnant.

Much to my dissapointment, I quickly learned from our night out that I am so not hip or cool. My first clue was when we showed up at the club, like the eager beavers that we were, at 9:30 pm. It was completely empty! The only other person nerdy enough to show up so early was some guy that bared a striking resemblance to Napoleon Dynamite and Jon Bon Jovi.


Feeling like big fat losers, we ordered some liquid courage, and tried our best to make it look like we totally meant to show up so early. The bouncers even looked bored. There was a DJ spinning some wicked tunes, but it just added to our awkwardness seeing the dance floor (or the entire room for that matter) completely barren.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, people started to trickle in. The crowd was sparse, but at least there was a crowd and we weren’t sticking out and left looking like the blaring pylons we certainly felt like.

I noticed Napoleon Dynamite/Bon Jovi was up to something. He started to pace around the dance floor, beer in hand, scoping out the territory. His hair covered his eyes, which stayed facing the floor as he paced. I thought he might have had some self confidence issues or perhaps he was just extremely shy. His pacing reminded me of an animal caged at the zoo and it was clear that he was about to break loose into something. As I considered what this character was up to, he suddenly leaped (yes, he did some sort of freaky frog leap) onto the dance floor, stood there, arms outstretched, waiting for all eyes to be on him, and then broke out into a full blown break dance. We’re talking on the floor, back spinning, one hand on the ground supporting your body weight, dancing. !?!?!

I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to be in hysterics, or impressed. I mean the guy could dance, I’ll give him that, but he was flying solo that night, and he looked too much like the Napoleon Dynamite character to be for real.


(If you haven’t the movie Napoleon Dynamite, it’s about an indolent and alienated teenager who decides to help his only friend Pedro to win the class presidency. He was also determined to learn how to dance.)
Finally, after a drink or two (or seven), we were ready to hit the dance floors as well. Once we started, I was like a kid with candy, and you couldn’t pull me away. It seriously felt so liberating to leave my anger and sadness at home, and just get out and let loose. Despite how entertaining Napoleon Dynamite/Bon Jovi was to watch as he busted out the moves, dancing the night away with the love of my life was fun fun fun! It did amazing things for my spirit.

I think the big hair went over well with the teeny boppers out there in dance land, and my sweat band was pretty stylish too, I just wish someone would have reminded me how passé leg warmers and shoulder pads were. I really need help in the clothing department these days.

All style issues aside, it felt good to act young and carefree like that again. We really needed to unload our issues, and just let loose (if only for one night).

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Sounds like fun -- for some. :)
Posted by Blogger Anvilcloud :  July 25, 2005
 

I'm so glad you guys had a funtastik night out! You both needed it!
Posted by Blogger Mandi :  July 25, 2005
 

I'm so glad you had fun! You're making me want to get out now too!!! Mike is SO not a dancer though, and I'm thinking I couldn't drag him to a club if I tried...maybe with a girlfriend :-)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  July 25, 2005
 

Sounds like you had fun letting your hair fly to the beat of the music last night. Your spirit flew too and that is sooooo good for you, Mark and for Ava's memory too. Honour her life by enjoying yours and living it to the fullest.

Dancin'! I love it. AC was not so free to get up on the dance floor at one time, but once he saw that everyone else was doing their own thing and having fun, even if they couldn't really dance, he joined the dance and has had fun kicking up his heals ever since.

When I hear music, my feet just want to move.

One thing I will never understand is why the kids start the night so late these days. When our girls were home, they would plan a big night out and wouldn't leave the house until 10pm or after. AC and I would just shake our heads and wonder what the logic was in such a late start to the fun of the evening.

Glad you had fun even if you got an early start. What a hoot.
Posted by Blogger Cuppa :  July 25, 2005
 

Oh that's funny. That would have been me, the first to arrive.
Glad you had a great time over all. You two should do it more often. Don't feel guitly to let your hair down.
Posted by Blogger Tammy :  July 25, 2005
 

Great story. I'm not cool either, so we would get along great. Did you happen to take pictures of your 80's ensemble?
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  July 25, 2005
 

You are young. Great to hear you had a fun time and let loose.
 

OH NO!
Too funny! Apparently my attempt at extreme sarcasm didn’t work out so well. I SO DID NOT wear any 80s style clothing out, I was just being a smart ass and mocking the fad of the time.

I wore some plain old jeans and a cute little strapless top (bright pink of course).

Oh..and sensible dancing shoes to boogie down in (does anyone actually use that expression anymore?)
Posted by Blogger karla :  July 25, 2005
 

Oh! I thought it was an 80's theme party.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  July 25, 2005
 

And here I pictured you in the whole 80's garb! Oh well...

9:30? That is pretty early! We haven't even decided to go out yet by that time!

I so want to go out dancing again! I had to curb it while prego...I'm ready again!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  July 25, 2005
 

I am so happy for you guys that you had a blast.

Hubba-hubba and I were also the lone people at a club oh so many years ago. There is nothing quite so forlorn as an empty club and a nearly empty dance floor.

The only good thing was that we were the only people there to win the contests, so we got a load of stuff!
Posted by Blogger Gina :  July 26, 2005
 

sounds like a great, funky night out to me!!

i love watching those i-think-i-am-cool geeks in a club. they just have so much courage (or alcohol kicking in) to do all those awekward and embarrassing things.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  July 26, 2005
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Monday, July 25, 2005




Recently
Saturday, July 23, 2005
Friday, July 22, 2005
Thursday, July 21, 2005
Tuesday, July 19, 2005
Monday, July 18, 2005
Friday, July 15, 2005
Thursday, July 14, 2005
Thursday, July 14, 2005
Tuesday, July 12, 2005
Tuesday, July 12, 2005