Unbalanced Media Drivel
by Karla ° Thursday, July 14, 2005
I read an article in the paper yesterday that really rubbed me the wrong way. It’s an article from our local “liberal” commuter paper (partially owned by the Toronto Star) titled “Babies come later” (see article on front page).

The article discussed how men and woman are marrying much later and therefore, women are having children at a much later age according to Statistics Canada. I couldn’t agree more. When I look at my 3D friends, very few of them have children, and a lot of them didn’t marry until their 30’s. In fact, many of my acquaintances are well into their 30’s and are just now thinking about starting a family. According to a national study of births in 2003, Stats Canada found that 47.9 percent of women giving birth were over 30, a huge difference from women in the 80’s at a time when only 24 percent of women over 30 had children. In the province Ontario alone, over half of all mothers are over 30.

These are interesting statistics, and although I don’t fit into the national averages, they are interesting statistics none the less, and warrant some thought and consideration about what the dramatic shift in waiting to start a family is all about.

The article provided some interesting food for thought and seemed to offer some valid and interesting theories on this topic. The closing "expert" opinion however jangled my nerves.

The “expert” opinion was as follows, and I quote,

"the opportunities out of the home are much more lucrative and personally rewarding. Women want to defer that decision (to have children), which they know is going to trap them at home”


Feeling trapped by your family? Career more personally rewarding than family? Career more lucrative than family? Am I really understanding this correctly?

Where is the life/work balance in that statement? Do women in Canada really think a career and burning the midnight oil at the office is more lucrative than coming home to their family? Does being a corporate minion really entice them that much? I mean really, no matter how hard you work, no matter how important you are at your company, we are all disposable and replaceable pawns. Corporations don’t have loyalty to us, so why are so many of us so loyal to them? If you want loyalty, get a dog I say.

What ever happened to good old fashion family values?

Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


Although perhaps more financially lucrative I would really argue about the "personally rewarding".

The guys is obviously a jerk.
Posted by Blogger Mark :  July 14, 2005
 

If by lucrative he means it pays better, I certainly won't argue that!

I'm about three hundred percent sure this guy doesn't have kids...and if by chance he does, I feel so very sorry for them.

Personally, since I started staying home, I have never worked so hard in my life, and at a job I found so very rewarding.
Posted by Blogger Christi :  July 14, 2005
 

many of my friends back home in the sweet old canada are into their gorgeous 30's and they told me that it's too good to let go their single life.

but many of my friends in hong kong are into their freaky 30's and they're panicking that they will die as an old maid.

western VS asian??

and for me?? i am not freaked by the idea of marriage, but i dun see a reason WHY i have to get married when i already have this stable relationship plus an apartment with my man. *in deep thoughts*
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  July 14, 2005
 

I couldnt agree with you more.

Family is way more important than having a high powered career. What ever happened to finding a balance and being successful at both.
 

Karla i agree with you 100%!!
Posted by Blogger Renee :  July 14, 2005
 

I feel the same as you, but I know people who see marriage/family as the end of your life, so the writer is probably just reflecting what he sees.
Posted by Blogger Unknown :  July 14, 2005
 

damn liberals!ha.
Posted by Blogger k8 :  July 14, 2005
 

Could it be that people are trapped in their jobs? Say what you like, but I don't think very many people love their jobs enough to work for free. Many parents do, however. A biased conclusion, I think.
Posted by Blogger Anvilcloud :  July 14, 2005
 

I think the word "trapped" was what got me all huffy.
Posted by Blogger Gina :  July 14, 2005
 

It incites me when someone says I'm trapped in my home and implies that nuturing children is insignificant!
Posted by Blogger Jersey Girl :  July 18, 2005
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Thursday, July 14, 2005




Recently
Tuesday, July 12, 2005
Tuesday, July 12, 2005
Monday, July 11, 2005
Friday, July 08, 2005
Thursday, July 07, 2005
Tuesday, July 05, 2005
Thursday, June 30, 2005
Thursday, June 16, 2005
Wednesday, June 15, 2005
Monday, June 13, 2005