Cat-astrophe
by Karla ° Tuesday, August 2, 2005
I swear my sole purpose on the earth was to be a constant reminder to the rest of humanity to “don’t do like I do”.

The last time my husband and I painted, we had a little mishap of him stepping off a ladder into a tray of paint. Although annoying, it was funny as hell watching him hop about so as to not to leave his footprints all over the carpet.

This time, we didn’t get off so easy.

I was finishing up our first coat in the main entrance closet. Our front door near the closet was open to help air out the paint fumes. Like clockwork, whenever there is any window or door open to the outside world, the cats rush to sit there and lounge, hoping to catch some sunshine or a cool breeze across their furry bodies.

One of my cats happens to very skittish. The day I met Simon my heart just went out to the little blue eyed wonder. He had endured some horrible abuse, and as a result, had a serious eye deformity and needed to have it operated on and removed. Hubby and I fell in love with the brave little guy and adopted him the spot. We cared and nurtured him back to health after his eye removal surgery, and although he’s a total darling, whatever cruelty he endured earlier on in his cat life left him totally traumatized. He, to this day, remains extremely wary and untrustworthy of his surroundings. (hey…if you had one eye and bumped into walls all the time, you would too!).

Basically, he jumps at everything. If you sneeze, he jumps. If you cough, he jumps, In fact, if you look at him the wrong way, he jumps.

While I was happily painting away, my skittish cat was quietly louging in the porch sunning himself. My husband decided to go mow the lawn. He started up the mower right beside the window where my cat was relaxing. The noise startled him something fierce, and he jumped and ran like a bat out of hell, directly into and through the paint tray laying near the entrace way to the house. His entire back end and paws were covered with a lovely shade of willingtan tan taupe paint as he darted directly up the stairs, depositing little painted paw prints everywhere he stepped.

Here is the little freak show after an attempted clean up. He had issues with me rubbing around his back side to remove the paint. I can’t say I blame him. I would have issues with someone rubbing latex paint off my bum hole too.


So remember, don't do like I did, and keep all loaded paint trays clear of doorways.



Painting Update:

Here is how the paint job is coming around. We still need to apply another coat, but the main wall colour (thankfully) does not look like poo!


The accent diarrhea wall has dried a bit darker of a colour, but it wasn’t exactly the look I was going for.


We plan on replacing the carpet with hardwood floors, adding some nicer baseboards and we have to paint the back wall leading up the stairway, but that will be a much lighter colour to match the living room walls.

Labels: ,

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


It looks good. I think the colour looks like coffee with double cream. Much like the colour of my kitchen. Looks great with white trim doesn't it?

The story of your cat in the paint reminds me of the time we set our cat on fire, or maybe I should say he set himself on fire. Too long to put the whole story here. I will try to find some time to post it on my blog. Check it out later.
Posted by Blogger Cuppa :  August 02, 2005
 

looking very nice Karla. I dont think it looks like pooh.I like both colours.

mom
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  August 02, 2005
 

Poor kitty. You know, it would have been funnier if it were Mark and not the cat. I would have loved seeing pictures of Mark covered in paint....LOL.

I think that colour doesn't look half bad. It is looking pretty nice.
Good job guys.
Posted by Blogger Tammy :  August 02, 2005
 

We had a dog about ten years ago who did the same thing. He walked (stately mind you) through a tray of off white paint and then jumped up on the bed leaving trails of distinctive off white paw prints on our burgandy sheets.
We lost him to old age, but we still have the sheet tucked away in our closet. It's hard to throw it away with those cute little prints on it!
Posted by Blogger methatiam :  August 02, 2005
 

The walls do look better....less like the diapers I'm used to now!
Posted by Blogger Christi :  August 03, 2005
 

I have to admit, The poop colored wall looks great! :)

I also noticed the old navy bag...lol
Posted by Blogger Humor Girl :  August 03, 2005
 

the new color goes well with your dark wood furniture. believe me, it looks nothing like poo from the pictures.

it sounds like the project of painting your house has given you loads of drama and fun there. next time, train your cat to hop on one leg like your hubby did, so you don't have to clean up the little paw-prints.

hope i could enjoy the drama like you did when i paint my apartment. your posts gave me some good pointers -- the color looks different after it is dried, dun trust the sample color on the lid!!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  August 03, 2005
 

Looks great you guys! Good work...

PS Karla, you're looking fantastik!
Posted by Blogger Mandi :  August 03, 2005
 

I like the colors too, the main one being similar to my taupe walls in the living room. Taupe does go very well with dark furniture.

Painting is a pain in the ass, glad it hasn't been too much of an ordeal.
Posted by Blogger Gina :  August 04, 2005
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Tuesday, August 02, 2005




Recently
Monday, August 01, 2005
Sunday, July 31, 2005
Friday, July 29, 2005
Thursday, July 28, 2005
Wednesday, July 27, 2005
Monday, July 25, 2005
Saturday, July 23, 2005
Friday, July 22, 2005
Thursday, July 21, 2005
Tuesday, July 19, 2005