Meeting Ann
by Karla ° Friday, December 1, 2006
When I found out that Ann Douglas would be in Ajax last night at Chapters for a book signing, I knew I just had to meet her. Ann is the author and mastermind behind the Mother of All Series of books as well the author of countless other bestselling books on pregnancy and parenting. She is a columnist for Glow, Cahoots and many other magazines, the expert behind the WebMD blog called Pregnant Pause and countless other online articles, radio and TV segments and goodness knows what else I have missed. Her most profound work for me has been a book called Trying Again: A Guide to Pregnancy After Miscarriage, Stillbirth and Infant Loss. As someone who has experienced her own loses, including miscarriage and a daughter born still, Ann has managed to capture with much delicate empathy the emotionally challenging rollercoaster ride of emotions that a couple faces when they decide to start trying for another baby after a loss.

For me, the decision to become pregnant again after losing Ava was easy. I wanted to become pregnant as soon as possible but was strictly advised to wait at least nine months before trying to conceive again to give my body the optimal 18 months of healing between pregnancies, particularly after having a c-section. For Mark however, the decision was not as easy, and when the nine month waiting period was up and I was ready to start trying for another baby, he wasn’t. I remember feeling like a cosmic 2x4 had rammed me in the back of the head when he met my optimism for new life with resistance. The shock was overwhelming and I was devastatingly crushed because I had just spent almost a year of my life waiting for one of the most important things in the world ever to me and when the green light to proceed came, he hit the brakes.

I felt misunderstood, he felt misunderstood and somehow we let the newfound closeness and bond that had developed between us after losing Ava slowly drift us apart. It got the point where I didn’t even want him to touch me despite how lonely and alone I felt knowing our child bearing efforts were going nowhere.

I’m so happy to have finally met the woman behind the words that helped my husband and I find the courage to work through our fears, hopes and concerns together while embarking on the difficult journey of pregnancy after a loss.

Although I’ll never forget how truly helpful her wisdom and written words have been, I’ll also never forget the kindness, warmth and charisma that she also exudes in person.

Labels:

Permanent link to this entry




Comments:


So did she tell Mark to smarten up or something. Or did the two of you just gang up on him, pin him down and force him to try again..
Is that why he's been working out. To prevent future gang violence..
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous :  December 01, 2006
 

Hey Karla, I sent u an email last month with my memorial video of my daughter Makenzie. Thank you for watching and ur return email.

Well, I have finally joined the blogging world and set up a site. Stop by sometime. I can't guarantee quirky qoutes like yourself- but I do try :)

That is great u met Ann, I went to get her book a while back and decided on another.Odd though, they have similiar name. Pregnancy after a Loss: A Guide to Pregnancy after a Miscarriage, Stillbirth, or Infant Death. I will probably grab Ann's next. I am reading everything I can get my hands on these days.
Posted by Blogger Samantha :  December 01, 2006
 

I'm so glad the book was able to help the both of you.
Posted by Blogger Gina :  December 02, 2006
 


advertisement




Search Untangling Knots:


Search Results:

Friday, December 01, 2006




Recently
Thursday, November 30, 2006
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
Friday, November 24, 2006
Tuesday, November 21, 2006
Saturday, November 18, 2006
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Saturday, November 11, 2006
Friday, November 10, 2006